2nd hand dual

Mountainbiking central

2nd hand dual

Postby holmesy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:13 pm

If I went and got a second hand bike (as my budget is 1k-1.5k and I would like dual and consensus is that second hand = better bike)

1. What do you actually look for when inspecting a bike? Squeeze the breaks, lift by the rear seat, ride it, look for cracks etc)?
2. If you happen to get a bike and luck out that it breaks down in the first year or two, what typically breaks? The frame? The forks? The suspension? If something bad happens like the frame cracking badly, can you do something like just get a new frame and transfer all parts to the new frame (via local bike shop to assemble) or would this be cost prohibitive? (The reason I ask this is that I have a tip about a high spec giant but with a cracked and "repaired" frame - I am thinking worse come to worse I am up for a new frame but the parts are good)
3. an interstate untested buy on bikeexchange- this appears to be asked several times- on bike exchange there is more available elsewhere (always the way)- is this advisable when you can't inspect the bike? Assuming the seller is willing to help you out, what are the approx costs of getting it shipped to you (I see some posts about shipping, and they imply that the person has to get it to a bike shop to be "boxed" and couriered, or box it themselves)- what is this actual box, and is it worth doing cost wise? (Ie if there is an interstate bike for $400-$500 less than one you can drive to and inspect, are you better off seeing it in the flesh and taking it there and then?)

Thanks in advanced- my extensive searching still has me asking these questions! My other option is to ditch the 2nd hand option and go for a new purchase hardtail, but a few recommendations have been to go the dual now rather than hardtail-> dual in two years like everyone thinks will happen!
holmesy

by BNA » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:23 am

BNA

Re: 2nd hand dual

Postby bychosis » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:23 am

2nd hand MTB I'd want to inspect personally, never buy site unseen. As for a repaired frame I'd want to know it was a good repair (like from gripsport or similar) and be prepared to replace it if it failed again (have spare $)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Duck! » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 am

If the bike has breaks, stop right there and look for another bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby holmesy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:57 am

after hitting the (2) local bike shops, I think you might be right -
entry level dual shock coming in at $1,800 (specialized camber 29 or a 2013 felt virtue sport 26)
but realistically probably should get hard tail to save some coin (specialized rockhopper 29 $900 or a KTM ultra X $1190) - all with varying parts and names that make no sense to me.
given that anything second hand is $800 upwards, new will mean I will be able to ride without any fear of worrying about an existing crack
holmesy

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:22 am

That Spesh for $1800 is a good deal. If you can stretch the budget that far you won;t be disappointed.

However, for secondhand, you'd be very unlucky to get something with cracks etc. A good guide is the condition of the paint. If it has lots of scuffs then you know it has seen a lot of use and probably its a good idea to move onto the next one. I'd stick to aluminium frames from a reputable manufacturer like Specialized, Santa Cruz, Kona, Jamis, Cannondale, Pivot, Yeti etc. I know his will annoy Giant owners (sorry) but I wouldn't buy a secondhand Giant 29r at the moment regardless of condition as they are having issues with the top tube failing just in front of the seatpost and as a secondhand buyer you won't be covered by warranty. The risk of getting caught is too high for me. Terrific bikes otherwise, though.

If you are up around the central coast you might want to look at http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/ and post a wanted to buy ad on there. The log-in will get you access to a national network. I'm sure you'll find something suitable around your local area. Alternatively, I've had good results off eBay, but always I inspect in person prior to handing over funds.
trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 am

Ah, sorry, Mid North Coast. Oops.

Another option is if you find something you like in Sydney I can possibly transport it for you as far as Taree, as I periodically travel up there to visit family and ride the trails at Kiwarrak. I'd just ask a small contribution for the additional fuel an extra bike on the roof incurs.
trailgumby

Postby holmesy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:41 am

Cheers trailgumby- I'm at taree, and the kiwarrak trails are what I am trying to get into!
I'm heading to sydney in two weeks, so I might do one last check of bikeexchange just before I go down just to see what's out there(but I wasn't seeing anything that tickled me), or it's fall back to the rockhopper locally me thinks and spend the "saved" money on additional bling like shorts or new gloves
holmesy

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Nothing that caught your fancy at Bourkes Bikes?
trailgumby

Postby holmesy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 pm

trailgumby wrote:Nothing that caught your fancy at Bourkes Bikes?

yep - they are the specialized bikes and this is where I think I will end up (purchased before for the specialized disc road bike for the commuter and no complaints thus far)
holmesy

Return to MTB