5 posts • Page 1 of 1
New to bikes and this forum and would like to build myself a relatively cheap chinese carbon 29er
the frame I want to get will cost $465 (including shipping) and I can get carbon seatpost, handlebar and stem/headset for another $135
My questions to you guys are:
1. whether or not I can get cheaper steam/handlebars/seatpost elsewhere (doesn't have to be carbon)
2. what groupset should I be looking at? I would like to convert it from 3x10 to 1x10 if that is possible
3. good cheap hydralic brakes?
3. Are these wheels any good? can I get anything cheaper?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WTB-KOM-I23- ... 4d1abcd9d9
4. should I get a suntour XCR fork for now or just go ahead and get a RockShox XC32?
any other advice would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by myk505 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think you need to either give more info or do some more thinking if you haven't already. Try to sort these things out before you buy the frame as most of it will depend on frame selection.
- Merlin cycles has deore groupsets (double or triple for $400), SLX for a bit more. Sets include hydro brakes and rotors so cheap cheap! Deore will do the job no worries. I would splurge and get a wolftooth chainring to avoid the need for a chain guide when running 1x10.
- Wheels - this is the biggie. QR or 15/12x142? Your frame will decide the back while the fork will decide the front. The front is more important imo so performance wise go for the 15mm. QR wheelsets will be cheaper.
- Same here again - there are a crapload of bargains for good forks with QR. I would go for something more than xc32. At least recon gold 30 ($350?). personally I am one who picks fork over frame - I think you can feel performance much more since most frames are based on similar (in their category) geometry these days.
You can get all three in the current market if you choose to build a 26er . Light - yes, strong - yes - cheap - yep. Everything 26er is on discount at the moment - take this path and you can build a much better spec bike than equivalent 27.5 or 29er. (disclaimer: my last 3 mtbs have been 29ers)
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Under $1800 good second hand parts.
Snap beaten to the Deore groupsets at Merlin here
this is an Air fork Rockshox 30 Gold TK Forks - 29er - 2014
that is over $700 already.
another $300 to $500 for wheels
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod78574
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod92361
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod78576
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod76180
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Mulger bill