Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:49 pm
New to bikes and this forum and would like to build myself a relatively cheap chinese carbon 29er
the frame I want to get will cost $465 (including shipping) and I can get carbon seatpost, handlebar and stem/headset for another $135
My questions to you guys are:
1. whether or not I can get cheaper steam/handlebars/seatpost elsewhere (doesn't have to be carbon)
2. what groupset should I be looking at? I would like to convert it from 3x10 to 1x10 if that is possible
3. good cheap hydralic brakes?
3. Are these wheels any good? can I get anything cheaper?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WTB-KOM-I23- ... 4d1abcd9d9
4. should I get a suntour XCR fork for now or just go ahead and get a RockShox XC32?
any other advice would be greatly appreciated
- Posts: 1557
- Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm
- Merlin cycles has deore groupsets (double or triple for $400), SLX for a bit more. Sets include hydro brakes and rotors so cheap cheap! Deore will do the job no worries. I would splurge and get a wolftooth chainring to avoid the need for a chain guide when running 1x10.
- Wheels - this is the biggie. QR or 15/12x142? Your frame will decide the back while the fork will decide the front. The front is more important imo so performance wise go for the 15mm. QR wheelsets will be cheaper.
- Same here again - there are a crapload of bargains for good forks with QR. I would go for something more than xc32. At least recon gold 30 ($350?). personally I am one who picks fork over frame - I think you can feel performance much more since most frames are based on similar (in their category) geometry these days.
Duck! wrote:Light, strong, cheap - choose any two.
You can get all three in the current market if you choose to build a 26er . Light - yes, strong - yes - cheap - yep. Everything 26er is on discount at the moment - take this path and you can build a much better spec bike than equivalent 27.5 or 29er. (disclaimer: my last 3 mtbs have been 29ers)
Kona Hei Hei
- Posts: 1916
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 am
- Location: Perth
Snap beaten to the Deore groupsets at Merlin here
this is an Air fork Rockshox 30 Gold TK Forks - 29er - 2014
that is over $700 already.
another $300 to $500 for wheels
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod78574
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod92361
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod78576
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod76180
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.