newbie to mtb

Mountainbiking central

newbie to mtb

Postby 13bute » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:38 pm

hi all ,i say it's been asked before but :D
i just need a few pointers , i have a trek 3500 mtb and going to hit the trails this weekend for the first time .
is there any thing i need to know or what others take with them when off road . I have tube repair kit , pump
cheers andy
13bute

by BNA » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm

BNA

Re: newbie to mtb

Postby zero » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm

For an endurance race I bring food bars, bottle and/or camelbak, chain breaker, tire levers, pump (can bring co2 if you prefer), 2 tubes, spare power link, multi tool, puncture kit, gloves, and wear sunblock.

For a random trail ride, gloves, bottle, tube, levers, pump.
zero

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Depends how far off the beaten track are you going? If you aren't far from base then you'll probably be fine with what you have. If you are more than 5km away from transport though (or to put another spin on it 40+ minutes of walking) I'd take a few more things. My standard on the bike kit consists of one bottle (two if more than 3 hours of riding), pump, repair kit with tyre levers, spare tube, tyre boot, multi tool with chain breaker & spoke key, quick link and spare derailleur hanger. Overkill for most situations but nice to have when things go wrong in the boonies. Also if you are riding for more than two hours, its worth chucking in a muesli bar or a banana to keep you going.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Gemini Steelie
rangersac

Postby 13bute » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:22 pm

ok cool thanks for info
but this will make me look dumb :D but whats a power link lol

cheers andy
13bute

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:42 pm

13bute wrote:but this will make me look dumb but whats a power link lol

Powerlink = Quick Link. A pair of outer chain plates that can be installed without tools. If you break your chain you remove the damaged outer link plates with your breaker and install the quick link.See here
Last edited by rangersac on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Gemini Steelie
rangersac

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Reflecting what is above. I take Multi tool, incl chain breaker, power link (chain quick link) is good too, a busted chain can mean a long walk. A multi tool is helpful to adjust something after a stack and make riding easier, imagine your bars turned 90 degrees. Quick link is ok for a busted chain, but if your chain has some bent links in it you will need to remove them, hence the chain breaker.

A tube, pump, levers if it is difficult to remove replace your tyres. Take a spare tube so you don't need to patch out in the field, much better to do that in the garage.

First aid kit of some sort is a good idea.

Something to drink and eat is good for longer rides. I rode this morning planned for 1.5 hrs but didn't take water. Can usually cope doing up to that much in cool conditions without drinking provided you are properly hydrated first.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby A_P » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Seeing that you are on the gold coast,
Just Ride (AT) Nerang have shop rides on Sat arvo to suit most skill levels.
Having said that, Nerang SF can be challenging at the best of times
A_P

Postby 13bute » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:56 am

wow what a ride on saturday had a early ride at nerang sf awesome had a blast :) , need to work on fitness i think ha ha i needed a nap after :oops: .
but now i know why you need to carry spares with you on a ride :shock: you can get lost easy lol , but will be doing more of the offroad stuff from now on .
thanks to all for the tips cheers andy
13bute

Return to MTB