Convict 100 SS gearing

Mountainbiking central

Convict 100 SS gearing

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:26 pm

I have been convinced by mates to enter next months Convict 100 and have decided that it would be that right thing to do it on the single speed. As I have never ventured down that way before has anybody got some suggestions regarding what gear ratio I should be looking to run?
singlespeedscott

by BNA » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:41 pm

BNA

Re: Convict 100 SS gearing

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Go shorter rather than taller. Some of the climbs are long and steep.

There's also one poorly signed fairly brutal descent where excessive speed will launch you. An experienced mate of mine crashed badly in this event year before last and almost didn't make it, thanks to the indifference of the event organiser to life threatening injuries. Showed no sense of urgency whatsoever, poor evacuation processes and planning (eg allowed sponsors tents to take over the chopper landing pad. Chopper wouldn't leave until landing pad was cleared. Lack training and equipment to deal with spinal injuries). In an event of this size injuries *will* happen and there just seemed to be a complete lack of care to deal with them.

Enter at own risk. Ride it, don't race it.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:08 pm

I dont race :lol:
singlespeedscott

Postby alchemist » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 am

Yes there are some big steep climbs, but there is a more flat on the course than climbs. So stick with what you normally run or go taller (and either way be prepared to walk).
The first major climb is almost a guaranteed walk unless you can spin at 30+ km/hr and reach it in the front of the bunch (the first normal start group is often quicker than the elite pace to here), as there will be too many people either wobbling in granny or walking to get a clear run. If you haven't raced to hard the climbs through to the 70km mark aren't too bad.
The next climb is big, & I usually end up walking, but it's not too bad and probably more a mind thing. There a few more short steep pinches along the ridge line that may be worth walking.
alchemist

Postby baabaa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:56 pm

What sort of ss are you thinking about? I have gone 34/18 on a fully rigid 29er the last two years.
Sure, you walk a bit on the really steep bits but I guess that is why you ride a ss, as any ride is a good day out. Doubt I will go the 100k this year but may do the 50k on 36/18 running thinner tyres as it has a more fire trail while the 100 has more single track with some steep climbs and quite a few down hill bits (which take more guts than I have to ride down fast) .
baabaa

Postby alchemist » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Yup half the 50 is flat(tish) road and a lot of it sealed. The 10km spinfest to the end is a nightmare.
alchemist

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:48 pm

I run a hardtail 29er with a 34x22. But I only use it for single track bashing. As such it's really only good for about 20kmhr on the flat. I was thinking about throwing a 20 or 18 on the back. What sort of time did you do for the last couple of years Baabaa? My other consideration is that were going to do some single track riding at Coffs and a few other places on the way back.
singlespeedscott

Postby alchemist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:54 am

Stick the 20 on the back.
alchemist

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Righto.
singlespeedscott

Postby march83 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

fwiw, i've run 34x18 on my 29er the last few times i've gone up that way. no, you can't clear all the climbs (the first one is a walk no matter what and there are a few other pinches that will probably get you too) but outside of the 2 big climbs there's a hell of a lot of relatively flat trail or road where you will want to be able to pedal into it. definitely gear taller than you would for XCO/singletrack duties.
march83

Return to MTB