Any feedback on these bikes ?

Mountainbiking central

Any feedback on these bikes ?

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi Guys n Gals

Looking to make a MTB acquisition from my LBS. I'm interested in doing 8+12+24 hour enduro stuff and of coure dodging trees on the Oaks trail :-)
I like specialized and at my entry pricepoint I think I have 2 options

Would upgrade this to discs and hydraulic brakes.

Specialized FSR-XC 08

My 2nd option is this one, would make no mods

Specialized FSR-XC Comp 08

Any feedback on these would be appreciated especially if you ride one !

Cheers..pete
sandman

by BNA » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:34 pm

BNA

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Pete, strictly speaking you don't *need* to upgrade to discs. In dry conditions from what I've seen from photos quite a few competitive riders do without them presumably becasue of weight savings. However, it would probably have a negative impact on resale price down the track, and hydro discs are much more reliable when it's wet.

I'd go with your second choice. It's cheaper to buy it all up front. The margin added by the distributors for aftermarket parts here in Oz is horrendous. Some sort of pro-pedal or platform damping on the rear shock is useful for climbing, and looking at the photos your second choice seems better in this regard.
Hawkeye

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:46 pm

JR

In talking to Lifcycles, I think he mentioned the frame on these two were the same, it was just the running gear that varied. There are some enhancements on the Comp I've noticed but I need Doug to get back in from his days off and talk to me about it.

I rang up a Bike Shop in Vic who shall remain nameless, he gave me the usual $2099 RRP, I said how much for cash, he said $2000...because he had to order it in. What a tosser... There is serious markup in Specialized and to get offered $99 discount, he can bite me....

Cheers..pete
sandman

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:11 pm

for that money I would be going Giant...much much better bang for your buck!
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product ... 313&page=1
toolonglegs

Postby Deanj » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Personally I wouldn't go for a race bike with V brakes. You never know what the conditions are going to be like, and in race situations you need to know they are going to stop you.

I'm with TLL's suggestion, does it have to be a dualie Pete or have you considered any hardtails in your price range?
Deanj

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:19 pm

You will see top riders riding on V brakes because they are alot lighter...but then they have the option to run discs if the weather looks wet.Also I ran XTR V's for a long time and they are awesome but they chop out your rims after a while and also weaken them in the process.Plus they are a pain in the arse to keep clean after a good flogging in a wet race.
MTB racing....nice idea 20 kilos ago :lol:
toolonglegs

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

TLL

Agreed I wasn't going to walk away with a v-brake bike as yet, Lifecycles offered to put discs onto it. Will see what sort of price I can get on the COMP version. Yes the Giants probably offer a bit better value but I kinda like dealing with the guys at lifecycles so would prefer to keep them in business.

Deanj, does it have to be a dualie, spose thats like religion :-) I don't have any data to suggest one is better than the other. I hope to do 8-12-24 hour enduros with the usual obstacles, thats really my only criteria....

CHeers..Pete
sandman

Postby Bnej » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Take the best you can afford.

The Horst linkage is find no worries there, good active suspension design. I don't know about X-Fusion's rear shocks, but probably decent.

Avid Juicy 3s are supposed to be nearly as good as the Juicy 5 which I have, which are fantastic.

Make sure you have the right sized seat post when you leave the store as there is not as much adjustment room as normal due to the gap in the seat tube.

Tora shocks are good but there is lots better if you can manage it.

Make sure you get a shock pump too.
Bnej

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 pm

sandman wrote:Deanj, does it have to be a dualie, spose thats like religion :-) I don't have any data to suggest one is better than the other. I hope to do 8-12-24 hour enduros with the usual obstacles, thats really my only criteria....

Then, yes I reckon you do want dual suspension. Not as efficient and doesn't accelerate or climb quite as well, but it's a lot easier on the legs over longer distances because you're not having to stand up off the seat as much to save your butt.
Hawkeye

Postby Bnej » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:27 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:Then, yes I reckon you do want dual suspension. Not as efficient and doesn't accelerate or climb quite as well, but it's a lot easier on the legs over longer distances because you're not having to stand up off the seat as much to save your butt.

Also not constantly having the back end kick out as you go over rocks.
Bnej

Postby xx68 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 pm

As a spanner in the works , ask lifecycles if they have any mongoose cannaan on special they were doing teams for approx $ 2500 off rrp but only in big frame sizes .
Of course , you may not want a canaan , not a bad unit . no i don't have one but my short list inc the bikes you've asked about and the canaan - but also a jamis parker ,which is a different kettle of fish again .( i am taken with a 29er too ! ) I am finding it hard to seperate the $$$ from my pocket tho ! maybe not enuff desire yet . :D
Good Luck with your choice tho
xx68

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Yes, they do look interesting. There was a review in a recent Enduro mag which gave them a good review. I think the reviewer was pleasantly surprised.
Hawkeye

Postby sandman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:19 pm

Well it pains me to say that I probably wont be getting a Specialized MTB. Lifecycles are cutting some awesome deals on bikes and it appears the Mongoose Canaan Elite 2008 is the bike I'll be getting. I **really** wanted a Specialized however for the money, the Mongoose is far better value so its off to put a deposit on it tomorrow..Put this togther with a set of Ayup Enduro lights and I'll be bashing around the bush on these 24 hour events, never thought I'd see the day :-)

Btw, I rang a few other stores around Sydney, they couldnt come anywhere close to my LBS...4th bike purchase in less than 12 months from the same shop !

sandman

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Sounds like you got a deal that was too good to refuse. :lol: Well done!
Hawkeye

Postby Bnej » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Let me know when you want to take it for a burn out Narrow Neck, Lawson's Ridge, the Oaks, or Andersons... as you like... Lawson ridge would be a good start.
Bnej

Postby sandman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Ben

Sure will. Suspect Leximack and Ozlegacy will want to join in the fun too

Cheers
sandman

Postby xx68 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:19 am

Goodonya ! :D , I am very interested in a ride report , as its on my shortlist , maybe you will push me into a decision 8)
xx68

Postby sandman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Well the Nads are on the line, the Goose thing has been ordered. Now if I could only wire brush the badge off and put Specialized on it :-) ok thats going to get me a slap from someone here. Look forward to giving this body a pounding trying to keep up with you hardcore MTB guys :shock: :? 8) :lol:
sandman

Postby Spiza » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Cool! When does it arrive?
Might have to take the slicks off and join you guys :D
Spiza

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Ah, but then you'd have to change your sig... :lol: :wink:
Hawkeye

Postby leximack » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:18 pm

here you go sandman, you can buy some stickers to cover the mongoose ones here or here
leximack

Postby Spiza » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:42 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:Ah, but then you'd have to change your sig... :lol: :wink:

Might have to remove the slicks part and keep everyone guessing :D
Spiza

Postby singletracking » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:04 pm

sandman wrote:Well it pains me to say that I probably wont be getting a Specialized MTB.

Ummm... there's nothing special about a Specialized - they're no better than any other brand out there except that they cost a little bit more than other bikes with exactly the same bits (Put Trek in that basket also).

And they 'stole' the Horst link patent from the rest of the world (Horst Leitner intended the design to be available to all manufacturers to use but Mike Sinyard patented it, so it goes), so really - why would you want to buy a bike from them for that?

The Canaan will be great and you got some much better parts on it than you would have got on the Spec.

And now you can lust after a properly awesome machine, like a Santa Cruz Blur.
singletracking

Postby ozlegacy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:59 pm

It's a nice bike Pete, same shocks as my mates GT Marathon, and all the shiny XT gear, for what your paying dont think you could have done much better, its cheaper than my anthem 1 and only diff is I have slightly better rated shocks

Would have cost you double to get same gear on a specialized

Also has the crankbrothers pedals that I was telling you about, just make sure you get some MTB shoes!
ozlegacy

Postby sandman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Thanks guys for all of your feedback, I'm pretty excited in getting it. I think the running gear is pretty good, will be interested in sticking it on the scales when i get it. I'm hoping this one will last longer than 12 months !!

Cheers..Pete
sandman

Next

Return to MTB