Are MTB SPD pedals easier to unclip from than road?

zmk

Are MTB SPD pedals easier to unclip from than road?

Postby zmk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi all

I've gotten into mountain biking in the last few months and want to make the move to going clipless on the MTB. I have some queries about the pedal tension though that I can't seem to have answered by googling around.

Are SPD pedals a bit easier to unclip from than road pedals? do people ride them with a way looser tension than road bikers to easily unclip from if you really do need to put your foot down if the bike slides out underneath you for example? On my roadbike with SPD-SL pedals I don't think I would be able to unclip in time if something were to happen.

Thank you :)

wombatK

Re: Are MTB SPD pedals easier to unclip from than road?

Postby wombatK » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes and yes. Out of the box, the SPD tension adjustment screw will be too tight for you, back it off to minimum tension.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

zmk

Postby zmk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Are the SPD pedals generally easier to unclip from? Given the smaller surface area they look like they would come out easier regardless of the tension. Is this a correct assumption?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Can't say I notice any outstanding difference in effort between the two types. Neither are particularly difficult.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Didn't take much practise to get out of them if things go wrong...these days I come out of them quite quickly...especially when things go wrong.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:25 pm

zmk wrote:Hi all

I've gotten into mountain biking in the last few months and want to make the move to going clipless on the MTB. I have some queries about the pedal tension though that I can't seem to have answered by googling around.

Are SPD pedals a bit easier to unclip from than road pedals? do people ride them with a way looser tension than road bikers to easily unclip from if you really do need to put your foot down if the bike slides out underneath you for example? On my roadbike with SPD-SL pedals I don't think I would be able to unclip in time if something were to happen.

Thank you :)
Unclipping is only half the issue.

MTB pedals are recessed meaning:

1. You have more grip due to a recessed cleat vs exposed.
2. You won't trash the cleats because they are metal.

I rode once with a guy who used spd-sl - possible but bailing was not fun. I don;t see why you'd do it.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 pm

zmk wrote:Are the SPD pedals generally easier to unclip from?
Generally speaking yes. Especially if you have "multi-release" SPD cleats. I've had a few crashes where i've still been clipped in with SPD SLs, never with SPDs.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Several bike shops I know recommend road riders new to cleats go with mtb pedals first up.
They also have the advantage of being able to walk around on without slipping.
I find mtb pedals easier to clip into due to being double sided. I use Shimano XTR's.
However, some mtb shoes have poorly designed tread patterns on the soles that can interfere with cleating in cleanly.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:19 pm

I hadn't heard of the "multi-release" SPD until after diving into 4 sets of ClickR with two pairs of same shoes. Sold a bike and UK guy mentioned years go it was marketed as multi-release, and ClickR sounds like the new marketing to new audience. There are sealed MTB level ClickR pedals i had to get for the fat bike, one outing of salty sandy whitewash beach riding stopped the other unsealed road style ClickR pedals.

I have to plug the ClickR, any panic situation road/ offroad and they release (Usually even in panic i release my ledt foot). I rode regular SPD on the cargo bike, testing it around the block atrempting to adjust front rack headlight at low speed, I couldn't release in the slow fall panic where the ClickR never penalised me for such stupidity.

zmk

Postby zmk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Thanks

I had to spend a bit of time perfecting my road bike cleats's adjustment to stop knee pain, given that the MTB pedals don't allow a sideways adjustment I hope I don't run into similar problems!

Thanks all, I'll take the plunge and see how we go :)

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:28 pm

zmk wrote:Thanks

I had to spend a bit of time perfecting my road bike cleats's adjustment to stop knee pain, given that the MTB pedals don't allow a sideways adjustment I hope I don't run into similar problems!
Personally I am still on flats on my mtb because that's what I prefer (I want to throw the bike and bail stat!) but running spd on the cx.

A couple of things to note:
- Mtb cranks have different q factor so it' won't be exactly the same. Beside geometry is completely different.
- Mtb is less sit and spin and more about engaging the terrain. Off saddle is more common, and cornering feet/body position is more frequent and important. Because you are not repeating the same motion over and over at ridiculous frequency knee pain is less due to the motion and probably more to do with the bump absorption.

Pretty much a lot of the road injuries you get due to repetition go away on mtb (and the spd cleats have more float) but they get replaced with crash injuries haha.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:53 pm

zmk wrote:Thanks given that the MTB pedals don't allow a sideways adjustment I hope I don't run into similar problems!
That's not correct. There is considerable fore & aft, lateral and rotational adjustment available with SPD cleats. There is also more float than road cleats.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:06 pm

eldavo wrote:I hadn't heard of the "multi-release" SPD until after diving into 4 sets of ClickR with two pairs of same shoes. Sold a bike and UK guy mentioned years go it was marketed as multi-release, and ClickR sounds like the new marketing to new audience. There are sealed MTB level ClickR pedals i had to get for the fat bike, one outing of salty sandy whitewash beach riding stopped the other unsealed road style ClickR pedals.
The lower release torque on Click'r is due to the pedal mechanism being redesigned, the cleats are no different. More info here.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cage

Postby cage » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:05 pm

If your looking to be able to unclip easily, I would recommend you make sure you end up with the Multi Release SH56 Cleats, not the SH51's.

Got this of Wiggle's site.

•SH51 SPD single release cleats, recommended for all MTB SPD pedals except PD M858: release the cleat by twisting heel outwards. In layman's terms, this is the cleat that will fit 99% of SPD compatible pedals excluding the PDM858.
•SH52 SPD single release cleats, recommended for PDM858 pedal: release the cleat by twisting heel outwards. In layman's terms, this is the cleat that will fit all of the same pedals as above (SH51) and ALSO the PDM858. Unless you have the PDM858, Wiggle would recommend opting for the more popular SH51 option.
•SH56: Designed to work with all open design pedals: allow your shoe to be disengaged by rolling or twisting the foot in any direction.

http://tinyurl.com/l67zkrb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:05 am

I just checked the cleats on the ClickR, they are SM-SH58, and look like the SH56's on Wiggle except are plain silver not gold.
The T400 pedals say the SH56 multi-directional cleats are included with the pedals, (the T700 pedals don't specify more than SPD cleats).
I can't find any info on the SH58, the instructions are for SPD Click R and only state SH56 =D

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:41 am

Duck! wrote:Can't say I notice any outstanding difference in effort between the two types. Neither are particularly difficult.
Same.
For me, the important part that many people don't get is that you need to "twist" your foot out, rather than"pulling" it out.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:06 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
zmk wrote:Are the SPD pedals generally easier to unclip from?
Generally speaking yes. Especially if you have "multi-release" SPD cleats. I've had a few crashes where i've still been clipped in with SPD SLs, never with SPDs.
That's been my experience too.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:11 pm

I would NOT recommend multi-release cleats if you are going to ride off-road. Stick with SH-51.

There are times you *really* do not want your foot to come out of the pedal. Like when you've just launched the bike off a log drop or waterbar and you're mid air. You're going to be thinking "Oh, that was a really bad idea" (not really, the more accurate quote would come up with "Ban me now for swearing!" on this forum).

A handful of low-speed clipstacks is a small price to pay. Buy elbow pads if you're worried - they worked well for me. Simply reducing the anxiety about getting hurt meant I fell off a heap less.

Just run ém at minimum tension and gradually tweak them up as your skills improve. Been riding clipless 8 years now and will never go back to flats unless I lose my sanity and start trying to ride Trials.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:44 pm

It depends on the pedals and cleats too

I have changed to speedplays on my roadie and they are easier to release than the 3 or 4 different shimano mtb cleat/pedal setups I have had

I am currently running stainless crank bros egg beaters on my mtb and they are the easiest release I have had, and the easiest snap in....

Try a set of crank bros egg beaters, you will have no problem selling them if you don't like them :wink: