Maxxis Tread Lite - any experience with these?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 06, 2015 10:18 am

Considering running these tubeless on my Fargo for backroads touring. So mostly on gravel roads but some asphalt. Looking for a tyre that rolls fast but gives some confidence on gravel.

The weight is reasonable for a 29er tyre. Any comments on speed and durability?

Or are other tyres you would recommend? Also considering Schwalbe ThunderBurt and Racing Ralph, perhaps Conti Race King.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jbchybridrider

Re: Maxxis Tread Lite - any experience with these?

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed May 06, 2015 11:36 am

Check out the Kenda Small Block 8 tyres.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Racing Ralphs (RaRas) are good if you like fixing flats..... They like hardpack but are fragile when it comes to pointy bits, skittish on lumpy bits & skaty on wet bits.

I'm not familiar with the Tread Lites, but my regular MTB tyres are Maxxis Crossmarks. Good general purpose, but wet/muddy is their weak point.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » Thu May 07, 2015 8:16 am

No experience riding it, but just looking at the tread, they look like they'd do what you're after pretty well, but honestly for something with THAT little tread, I'd really want them to be a fair bit lighter.... especially with a name that has the word "Lite" in it! You're only saving something like 50g per tyre (depending on variant) versus a Crossmark. I'd personally be hoping for the Tread Lite to weigh about halfway between a Maxxlite and Crossmark to make it a good alternative versus a Crossmark.

The thing I like about the Crossmark on gravel is that it transitions well as you tip the bike over in a corner and it doesn't tend to suddenly let go.

RaRas are fine too, as long as you buy the right variant. As Ducky points out, some of their lighter variants are made of cheese. Have ridden one of the... err.. Evo SS TR (I think?) variants all over Buller and the Youies and it's been fine.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 07, 2015 11:54 am

Snuffy wrote:RaRas are fine too, as long as you buy the right variant. As Ducky points out, some of their lighter variants are made of cheese. Have ridden one of the... err.. Evo SS TR (I think?) variants all over Buller and the Youies and it's been fine.
I was thinking RaRas, actually could probably even go the ThunderBurts if as you say the right variant is chosen. I've read a horror story about them but I think it was the lightweight variant.
Last edited by RonK on Thu May 07, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 07, 2015 6:44 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:Check out the Kenda Small Block 8 tyres.
Interesting that while researching this question I discovered the web site Bicycle Rolling Resistance. Their review of the Small Block 8 is not encouraging.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun May 10, 2015 8:53 am

Lightweight Schwalbe tyres need the Snakeskin carcass to stand any chance against rocks. Heard good things about ThunderBurts but haven't tried them. Still waiting for a Vredestein Spotted Cat to die. Even so virtually any micro baldy centred tyre should be fine as long as you can get it in a small bag carcass, no bigger than 2.0.

I do have RaRa's on the CX bike...good for single track but only OK for rolling on road and gravel unless pumped up to silly pressures.

Personally I'd look more to a fat gravel touring tyre rather than thin 29er tyre if you aren't doing singletrack.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 10, 2015 9:49 am

Yes, snakeskin also because I want to go tubeless. Tubeless also rules silly high pressures, but when you're talking 2" tyres high pressures not necessary.
Refuse to consider heavy touring tyres - I'm simply not having them.
Thunder Burt is still looking the least compromising combination of weight, grip and rolling resistance in a tubeless tyre.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 12, 2015 9:36 am

RonK wrote:Thunder Burt is still looking the least compromising combination of weight, grip and rolling resistance in a tubeless tyre.
My thoughts too. Just ordered one yesterday because it seems the carcass of the rear tyre on the duallie has seemingly fractured after four years (even though the tread is barely worn) and it squirms. We'll see how it goes.

Another option is the Rubena Zephyros which might seem large at 2.25 claimed but seems to be running smaller in width in the real world...closer to 2 seems to be the call. Well priced too http://shop.rubena.com.au/product/zefyr ... 29-x-2-25/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 12, 2015 10:36 am

Not heard of Rubena tyres before. The Zephyros does look interesting.
Another that looks good is the Conti Race King.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 12, 2015 10:46 am

RonK wrote:Another that looks good is the Conti Race King.
They are a fast rolling tyre though I'd have thought the Speed King RS might be more up your alley... http://www.pursuitsports.com.au/shop/pr ... 400&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is worth remembering that Continental tend towards an actual width on their carcasses...so 2.2 might be a bit fat for you.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Speed King not available tubeless though.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Yes it is. The RS carcass is tubeless compatible...but it'll be a bit weepy to begin with!

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 13, 2015 4:46 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
RonK wrote:Thunder Burt is still looking the least compromising combination of weight, grip and rolling resistance in a tubeless tyre.
My thoughts too. Just ordered one yesterday because it seems the carcass of the rear tyre on the duallie has seemingly fractured after four years (even though the tread is barely worn) and it squirms. We'll see how it goes.
Yeah, I will be interested to know how it goes too.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 13, 2015 10:42 pm

RonK wrote:
jbchybridrider wrote:Check out the Kenda Small Block 8 tyres.
Interesting that while researching this question I discovered the web site Bicycle Rolling Resistance. Their review of the Small Block 8 is not encouraging.
No, you don't see much of Kenda any more.'They're heavy too.

Regarding Rubena, I've been running the Kratos and Scylla combo for about ten months as my XC 29er training wheelset tyre. They rode like a much bigger tyre and their grip was confidence inspiring. Wear has been pretty darn good. They've been reasonably tough, but the Scylla's sidewall developed a small tear right down by the bead a couple of weeks ago where the rubber parted from around the kevlar bead, so it's been replaced. I can confirm that Kevlar is indeed yellow. :wink:

While the grip is good, it is my feeling that rolling resistance isn't quite as good as the Schwalbe RoRo/RaRa combo I have on my race wheelset.

I'm interested to have a look at the Conti range for my next 29er purchase.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 25, 2015 11:47 am

Ron - have you made any tyres choices yet?

I'm in the process of building a bit of a ghetto version of your bike - a steel rigid dirt road tourer - within similar intentions in mind (multi-day bikepacking on hard dirt, gravel with a bit of paved roads too). Like you, I suspect, my bike is likely to also see a bit of more gnarly off-road from time to time, because you just never know what's out there or how the weather affects the trail. Mine's a 26" version, though, built from cheapy bits.

I had been looking at wider 2.25 to 2.35 tyres as I need a bit of extra cushioning given it's all rigid.

I'm watching this thread with interest. One other suggestion that's been recommended by my LBS is a Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 2.35 (now discontinued,I believe).

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 25, 2015 12:49 pm

None of the Marathons will make the cut - they are far too heavy in the large sizes. And I want to go tubeless.
Racing Ralph and Race King remain the front runners for now - I'm leaning toward the Race Kings. But if I get good feedback about Thunder Burt they're still in the mix.
Whatever the choice, they just have to be capable of lasting for about 1200kms of gravel roads with a little asphalt and some single track thrown in - doesn't seem a big ask.
Still a way to go before committing I think.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 pm

RonK wrote:None of the Marathons will make the cut - they are far too heavy in the large sizes. And I want to go tubeless.
Racing Ralph and Race King remain the front runners for now - I'm leaning toward the Race Kings. But if I get good feedback about Thunder Burt they're still in the mix.
Whatever the choice, they just have to be capable of lasting for about 1200kms of gravel roads with a little asphalt and some single track thrown in - doesn't seem a big ask.
Still a way to go before committing I think.
The Marathon Extreme is 660g in 26x2.35 guise so it's not super heavy, at least compared to other Marathons.

I want tubeless too. Are Marathons all not tubeless compatible? I'm running tubeless on another set of tyres that do not state tubeless compatibility so I hadn't even bothered to check.

I've currently got Nobby Nics so they're an option for me too.

Have you ruled out balloon slicks like the Super Moto, Big Ben etc for lack of gravel grip?

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 25, 2015 1:27 pm

As far as I can tell, none of the Marathons except the Almotion are claimed to be tubeless compatible, but it is ridiculously heavy. You might get away with it if you can get the sidewalls to seal. I've considered try this with Supremes.
The balloon tyres are heavy and not tubeless compatible, and have poor edge grip.
With Rara's and TBurt you have to make sure you get the right carcass selection too. Gotta be Snakeskin, Tubeless Ready.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon May 25, 2015 2:13 pm

My T'Burt has arrived but I didn't get the chance to put it on. First impressions are good in terms of weight and build. The tread pattern looks like row upon row of baby teeth bordered by two blunt lines of canines.

My only caveat about these tyres and a touring load is...I'm not convinced the carcass is quite what it needed. Like my Vredestein Spotted Cat tyre, the sidewall is not much thicker than tissue paper despite being Snakeskin and tubeless ready. Great for racing but touring?

I still can't help thinking that a slightly heavier carcassed tubeless tyre like the Vittoria TNT range (eg AKA) might be better. I've run one of these now for nearly 4 years and the only thing that has now killed it is running low pressures (around 30 psi) during XC racing which makes the sidewalls really squirm during braking and cornering...so the sidewalls has 'fractured' and cornering on hard surfaces makes it feel flat. If I run the thing at 45 it'd still be very very much alive...though I'd probably have hurt myself!

Espresso, don't be tempted by the fat tyres unless you plan on using comparatively fat rims. On a gravel road, they have the rolling resistance of a dead cow and they squirm like dog poo under bare feet. The only way to counteract these tendencies is to inflate them to stupid levels...at which point, wear and handling characteristics become untenable.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 25, 2015 2:40 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:On a gravel road, they have the rolling resistance of a dead cow and they squirm like dog poo under bare feet.
Such eloquence! :lol:
I've been seeing more and more favourable reviews of the TBurt.
Not concerned about the sidewalls - been running Supremes with Liteskin sidewalls for the last three tours without any problems even on the gravel. Next trip will be bikepacking so load will be lighter, and Snakeskin sidewalls even tougher.
Last edited by RonK on Mon May 25, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon May 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Schwalbe Smart Sam?
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 51crx.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking of running these (in a 2.0) next on my 'everything else bike' which is a hardtail 29er with rack & guards.

: One for commuters too?

If anyone has any reason these should not be used?
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 25, 2015 3:23 pm

None at all if they suit your purposes.
But this discussion is about identifying fast and light tyres for backroads bikepacking.
At 680gm for a 622x2.1 they are too heavy for mine.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 25, 2015 6:08 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Espresso, don't be tempted by the fat tyres unless you plan on using comparatively fat rims. On a gravel road, they have the rolling resistance of a dead cow and they squirm like dog poo under bare feet. The only way to counteract these tendencies is to inflate them to stupid levels...at which point, wear and handling characteristics become untenable.
OK, sounds like good advice. So gravel is best tackled with thinner (say, 2.1) tyres?

But what does "fat" mean in this context? I have 28mm wide rims, I think - so not really fat at all. They hold my current 2.25's fine, and once held a 2.35 fine too.

PS. I've also been warned off Thunder Burt's by my LBS because they say theyre performance tyres and not really up to what I was looking to do with them. It's a moot point for me anyway - they don't come in 26"

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 25, 2015 6:31 pm

Espresso_ wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:Espresso, don't be tempted by the fat tyres unless you plan on using comparatively fat rims. On a gravel road, they have the rolling resistance of a dead cow and they squirm like dog poo under bare feet. The only way to counteract these tendencies is to inflate them to stupid levels...at which point, wear and handling characteristics become untenable.
OK, sounds like good advice. So gravel is best tackled with thinner (say, 2.1) tyres?

But what does "fat" mean in this context? I have 28mm wide rims, I think - so not really fat at all. They hold my current 2.25's fine, and once held a 2.35 fine too.

PS. I've also been warned off Thunder Burt's by my LBS because they say theyre performance tyres and not really up to what I was looking to do with them. It's a moot point for me anyway - they don't come in 26"
Not at concerned what the lbs thinks. Quite obviously TBurts are lightweight performance tyres. That is why we are considering them. And as I've already noted, they are offered with three different carcase constructions, the lightweight carcases are not under consideration.
I'll be going for the 622 x 2.1 size.