Roof rack

Montiz19

Roof rack

Postby Montiz19 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Hey guys and girls, i am putting roof racks on my wagon and am undecided as to which bike roof rack to go for.
What are peoples opinions on what they currently have.
Is there a better choice in the fork bolt down style or the other type where the arm holds the bike?
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

skull

Re: Roof rack

Postby skull » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:53 am

Montiz19 wrote:Is there a better choice in the fork bolt down style or the other type where the arm holds the bike?

This, you don't have to mess around taking a wheel off. You won't have to worry about dusty or muddy wheels going into the car. You also won't have issues if you change bikes that have a different front axel set up, such as a lefty or a thru axel.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:09 pm

While bike variants are heavier and more expensive. Worth it for most people though, for the reasons mentioned above.

Orion

Postby Orion » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:21 pm

I used a Thule ProRide 591 for carrying my MTB on the roof. I bought it from here:
http://www.roofrackstore.com.au/thule-proride-ba-591-p-30003.html

It looks unstable and like it could topple over with the slightest breath of wind but it holds steady at 100kmh.
No need to take wheels off either.

The one thing I don't like is that the frame of my bike has some marks where the rack's arm clamps on. I think that's mainly a result of dirt rubbing and scratching the frame. With that in mind I would probably go with a fork mount option next time. A little inconvenient removing the front wheel I guess but, to me, that's preferable to needlessly damaging the bike's paint.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:46 pm

I've got the fork mounted variety and have never had an issue with it.

The frame clamp variety do seem easier to load up, but both are easier than putting the bike in the car and i got my racks for a steal second hand - so options were limited.
Please help me raise money for Burundi with a 4 day, 1000KM ride to the TDU.
Support the crazy people here

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 pm

It's been a good few months since the last roof carrier thread.

And in the intervening period I can recall at least one forum member reporting an unfortunate mishap.

So it's timely to post another warning...

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:41 am

I have been thinking of getting roof racks but I have a few low bridges to get under and one of these I have to lower the car so I don't scrap the antenna (I have a 4wd with air suspension) but the thought of forgetting the bikes are on and having the above happen is to much of a risk..
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:51 pm

cancan64 wrote:I have been thinking of getting roof racks but I have a few low bridges to get under and one of these I have to lower the car so I don't scrap the antenna (I have a 4wd with air suspension) but the thought of forgetting the bikes are on and having the above happen is to much of a risk..

I do hope that this isn't seen as spruiking but cyclists who have had a bit of bad luck regularly turn to us after the fact - with not only roof mounts, but a bunch of different carriers. The one common thread is that you don't know that there is a problem until it's too late. If you're going to smack the bikes on something or a carrier damage bikes or a bike jump out of a ute, etc - there's no warning. It happens and then you assess whatever is left.

Just this week (and it's only Wednesday) is a carrier out to Karratha to a replace a pair of roof mounts that had damaged the forks and frame on rough tracks. One to Birdsville to replace a carrier that had smashed into the ground and the handlebar punched a hole into the rear window. I know that the upcoming school holidays will be another bunch of urgent shipments as well.

It breaks my heart because nobody wants this sort of thing. For us, we move heaven and earth to assist but it just adds chaos to our ordered business.

For what it's worth, MBA magazine published a product test on one of our carriers and John Hardwick pretty much nailed the hassles of traditional ways of travelling with bikes on board.

There's a copy here: http://www.isi-carriers.com/isi-4x4-ed/ ... eview.html if you don't have the magazine.

Finally, if anyone does make contact with us, please make yourself known to me because I prefer to personally look after anyone from the BN forum. Hope this helps.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

Dean Learner

Postby Dean Learner » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Yakima Frontloader for me.

Clamps front wheel so no marks on the frame and no need to remove a wheel either or issues with various axles, saves forgetting a front wheel too, seen that done many a time.

Main thing for me is it is also quick and easy to remove so can be switched between cars or just removed as needed.

wicky

Postby wicky » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Thule ProRide 591... Find it a bit wobbly and doesn't feel secure when in motion but never had any issues with bikes toppling or damage to either vehicle.

Will look into a Yakima in the future though.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:17 pm

+1 on the ProRide 591. I have a front wheel thru-axle MTB and the idea of paying another $99 for an adapter for a fork mount was pretty galling so I opted for the 591 and so far I'm glad I did. Made myself a sign to dangle from my rear vision mirror but even then, I *almost* drove under the arch of my driveway just last week.

Can be riding my bike within 30 secs of it being on the roof which is a big plus for a lazy bastard like me. Doesn't take much (any?) longer to put it back again!

Just be warned that the 'locking' mechanism is far from theft-proof - particularly with the frame on my bike! Hence it's never out of my sight whilst on the car.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:49 am

Dean Learner wrote:Clamps front wheel

Other than being overhead and vulnerable, my only comment about a bicycle retaining design that uses the wheels to support and stabilise the frame and the rest of the bicycle is that wheel and steerer bearings are prone to fretting when driving in off-highway conditions. It's not as big a deal as it used to be because modern cartridge replacement bearings are convenient to carry and easy to replace.

When bicycle bearings are stationary and subject to vibration and cyclic loads, the stationary balls wear into the bearing raceways and small depressions are created in each raceway (fretting). The bearing still works but often noisy and crunchy until it finally does fail. The following is an example of a fretted bearing that from memory came off a travel companion's bicycle who had travelled up into the Mitchell Plateau in the Northern Kimberley using a wheel clamp design bicycle carrier.

Incidentally the Northern Kimberley is an awesome place to go for a ride too. Rough, beautiful and oh what a journey.

George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

Montiz19

Postby Montiz19 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

frankn

Postby frankn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:57 am

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:53 am

I drove into my carport door with the Thule 591 on the back of the ute, across the top of the tray I have roof racks. It is a steel MTB, bike was fine but I have a big dint in my roller door and I tore the sliding rails out of my ute tray top on one side. Managed to resecure it all with just a small lump in the middle, can't do much about the roller door, not sure if I want to have bikes were they can be collected this easily again.
No signature