Not for off-road usage?

lee986

Not for off-road usage?

Postby lee986 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi everyone....
MTB newbie here.
I'm going to pick up a MTB soon, mainly so I can keep up with my 6 year old, who has just shed his training wheels. So there will be nothing extreme in the near to distant future! I test-rode a couple of Merida bikes today (Big Nine 40's), and noticed a sticker on the frame saying that the bikes were not to be used for 'off-road or stunt work'. Stunt work I understand, off-road? What are they referring to? I am certainly not planning jumps or anything (and will be towing a WeeHoo a lot in any case!), but I figured a MTB was designed for off road use??
cheers
Lee

bychosis

Re: Not for off-road usage?

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:52 am

MTB by name only. A roadie will hold up to light off road, marketing and lawyers get involved and you end up with silly warning stickers like that. I think they just want to warn you that the bike you have bought is not really strong enough to cope with what is shown on the telly as MTB, gap jumps, big drops etc. ie the sort of stuff that requires armour and full face helmets. It usually takes you to get into the $1k territory before that sticker disappears.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:47 pm

I find that a rather bizarre thing to put on a bike that is clearly intended to be a mountain bike.

I'd actually consider telling them to shove it, if they were selling me a bike with that sticker on it.

The cannondales I have and have had (excluding the roadie) do carry advice for what kind of conditions they are meant for riding in. Eg, "Condition 4"or "Condition 3", with each covering obstacles of a certain size. From memory, my Scalpel 29er isn;t meant for conditions with drops of over 2 feet, but my Trigger is fine with that. Given that the first is an 11kg weight weenie race whippet compared to the latter as a 14kg monster truck, that makes sense.

But to sell you a mountain bike that isn''t suitable for off-road use.... I'd be pointedly asking "what use is that???"

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:03 am

trailgumby wrote:But to sell you a mountain bike that isn''t suitable for off-road use.... I'd be pointedly asking "what use is that???"

We see this sort of thing all the time in the vehicle accessory and bicycle carrier industry Trailgumby. You'll see a bicycle carrier for example advertised or promoted for use on a 4WD vehicle but the fine print is "highway use only" or "not for off-road use". It has us baffled why a business would feature the one thing that the product can't deliver on because it can only do harm to the brand. At least in the OP example the warning is right there on the product.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 pm

My son Mike, has one of the original Merida 3000s, it had a sticker on it warning 'Not for off-road use'. Mike had only ridden the bike around home and into Uni on the cycle paths ... consistent with the sticker.

We decided to ride to Magpie Rock. We were at home giving the bikes a quick once-over and when Mike was putting a wheel back on and the quick release skewer snapped when it was being tightened. Better in the driveway, than coming down Skyline or the Luge at Stromlo ... an hour later.

The skewers were replaced with good quality ones. I think that the bike has given good him good service since then. Mike has been down Stromlo's downhill course on his bike that's not suitable for off-road use.

The day we rode to Magpie Rock.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

softy

Postby softy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:34 pm

It looks like like a mountain bike,
Feels like a mountain bike
Has shocks like a mountain bike
Has nobbles like a mountain bike
But a sticker saying it isn't a mountain bike.

Nanny state we are here......

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 pm

I am concerned with bikes that appear to be suitable but have stickers like this - "not intended for off-road use". The brands can do it and they save themself any liability if their 'cheap' bikes fail.

A far better strategy would be to avoid that price segment - instead construct MTBs that are suited for their actual purpose. Also support bike shops so that they are better serving the customer by guiding them to a suitable bike.

However when a MTB has this sticker, I think that the customer is the one that loses out as they often don't anticipate this and may not notice the sticker.

That said, lee986, if this is the bike for you and you know that Merida don't want you to ride their MTB offroad, then you are a step ahead and I am sure you will now be able to keep up with your son.