New wheels for a 26" for commuting

Mububban

New wheels for a 26" for commuting

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:23 am

Are there any worthwhile wheels I can buy that roll really well for under say $400? I've got a ~2003 Avanti Montari MTB and the wheels that came with aren't the fastest. Even pedalling flat out down a hill I've never reached 60kph. I know it's not a fair comparison, but pedalling flat out on my MTB, I still cant keep up with roadies simply freewheeling down an incline.

I'm tossing up between buying a second bike, or pimping my current MTB I use as a commuter with some new wheels and replacing the current 2" wide tyres (Specialized Hemisphere - http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/267) with thinner ones like something from the Schwalbe Marathon family in 32c?

Would new wheels and tyres be a worthwhile upgrade or would the gains be fairly minimal and not that noticeable?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mitzikatzi

Re: New wheels for a 26" for commuting

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:23 pm

I would spend as little as possible on a 2003 model bike.
New smaller lighter tyres will make a difference.
Also service the hubs.
I see 26' wheel sets on a local Facebook mountain bike page from time to time. High end wheels can be had for little money.
I would not spend $400 on a total rebuild of a bike that old.

hedgehog

Postby hedgehog » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:52 pm

bigger chain ring,11 teeth cog at the rear in my opinion.my 24 inch wheeled mtb got a 52 front chain ring.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:35 am

mitzikatzi wrote:I would spend as little as possible on a 2003 model bike.
New smaller lighter tyres will make a difference.
Also service the hubs.
I see 26' wheel sets on a local Facebook mountain bike page from time to time. High end wheels can be had for little money.
I would not spend $400 on a total rebuild of a bike that old.

It's been hardly used across its lifetime to be honest, commuting the last 3 years have done more kms than the previous 10 years. So the frame and running gear looks like new.

I've fighting against upgraditis at the moment, and dropping $400 on my current bike to make it lighter and faster is cheaper than buying the $2000 bike that I really want to get :mrgreen:
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:44 am

I would look for good second hand wheels.