Saddle recomendations / condemnations

MountGower

Saddle recomendations / condemnations

Postby MountGower » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:07 pm

G'day

I have been to the usual sites looking for a new MTB saddle. There doesn't seem to be many MTB specific saddles. The only specific requirement I can see is maybe some scuff resistance around the edges. As far as general performance goes, I can't really seee any different reqirements.

I need an all day comfortable saddle. I'm not interested in walking back to the car from the back of woopwoop, so no CF will be considered. I'm pretty much on the verge of just measuring up my San Marco Era Luxe road saddle and going with whatever the budget allows in a road saddle.

Any ideas? What are you all riding on?

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:33 pm

I've been using the Selle Italia SLR XC Gel flow for the last few rides (couple of 4 hours and a 7.5) and seem to be getting on ok with it (its not shiny like shown in the photo). I did a bit of reading on saddles the other week and found the following popular among enduro riders

Fizik Gobi
Fizik Nissene
Selle San Marco Era K
WTB Rocket V
Fizik Aliante

I was going to go with the Fizik Aliante as a few guys who did 24s mentioned they used it, but I got offered the SLR XC at a LBS that they took off a new bike for a real good price, so decided to give that a go.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Just had a thought, I saw THIS review the other day for the Fizik Aliante XM. Its the MTB version of the Aliante.
Last edited by Deanj on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:04 pm

WTB
SDG
Generic OEM
Have all worked for me.

One day a Brooks will take pride of place...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 pm

Yeah, sorry MG, but I'm going to play my favourite song again: the Brooks. You want all-day saddles? It's hard to go past a Brooks. They look dorky as hell on a modern MTB though, so if aesthetics are important, maybe get one of the expensive ones rather than the ever-reliable and cheap B-17.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:34 pm

I have a Fizik Gobi.

It's pretty decent, most suitable if you're a narrow backside though.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I realise it's a stupid question, but am grateful for the response.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Deanj wrote:Just had a thought, I saw THIS review the other day for the Fizik Aliante XM. Its the MTB version of the Aliante.
I love it on my roadie so will give it a go...have a standard one on my rainer...will get a full carbon one for the racer and this for my new handjob :D

jp80

Postby jp80 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:51 pm

The specialized body geometry mtb saddles did well for me for a long time, as did a bontrage 20 plus (not sure if its made anymore though).

I'm suprised that people are suggesting a brooks. brooks are bad bad BAD news for nose riding up super steep grades in the granny ring. if you do that type of riding, i'd go for a modern saddle. the nose of a brooks is leather stretched over steel with a rivet through it :oops: the other downside to a brooks is that its usually wider than a modern saddle, making it harder to slide off the back for steep decents. i think brooks are unreal, super duper saddles... for the road. the "correct" installation of a brooks also requires a slight up tilt toward the front.... its just not designed to be sat on anywhere but the widest portion at the rear.

i'd also avoid the fizik arione road saddle for the same reason, although it is so long that you can move around quite a bit without getting to the nose... i've been hooked up on it a couple of times.
2007 Bob Jackson Special Tourer - Rohloff
1999 Ritchey Mount Cross - 7800 - Fillet brazed
1991 Ritchey Ultra - ss commuter - TIG
1989 Ritchey Timbercomp - SS/M737 8sp - Fillet brazed
1972 LeJeune Championne Du Monde - French NR

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:01 am

Thanks again.

I settled on the Fizik Gobi. $111 from PBK. After reading the replies here and on MTBDirt, my preference (without person experience) was for the Fizik Aliante XM and Selle Italia Flight, as well as the Gobi. At the end of the day the Gobi was the only one available from a reasonably priced source (that I know of). It is also described as a MTB and touring saddle, so I feel confident in it's ability to support my fat arse for the long rides.

It's the same width as my San Marco Era Luxe, which all three were anyway. On the MTB front I also picked up the extendable PRO saddle bag for $26 and some crap(?) sunnies for $24.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Not an MTB, but a hybrid...

My original saddle split the cover about three weeks ago, so I went to the LBS, got sat on the assometer and a saddle was selected from the Specialized Body Geometry range - the Avatar. Worked fine for short trips, but as the K's on a ride increased, my arse hurt more and more. I kept on trying to tell myself that the problem was that my previous saddle had too much padding and the sit bones hadn't been doing the work and I just needed to HTFU. Didn't make a difference.

After ~ 300km of rear end hell, I bought a Brooks B17 'standard special' on the weekend. I wanted to buy the Professional, but it was too narrow - in fact, the B17 standard is almost exactly the same size/shape as the Avatar - but what a relief! It sooooo much more comfortable.

Now I have two weeks to bed it in as much as possible before Fitz's Tharwa challenge...

Re jp80 and the 'usually wider' comment about Brooks - there are narrow and wide models. As with all saddles, you have to pick the right one.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Kyoda

Postby Kyoda » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:01 pm

It amazes me that when it comes to MTB seats women are obsessed with finding the perfect saddle - measuring 'sit bones', testing a variety of seats, always in search of the one which fits them best.

But most guys will just put up with whatever seat comes with their bike or buy one off the shelf because 'it looks pretty good'. I don't know any male riders who have measured their sit bones. :o

I did the whole measuring thing and my LBS let me test different saddles on my bike until I found the one which fits me. The best $150 I've spent on my bike. :D

Julie..........

jp80

Postby jp80 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:12 pm

twizzle wrote:Re jp80 and the 'usually wider' comment about Brooks - there are narrow and wide models. As with all saddles, you have to pick the right one.
thats true. but the narrowest that they make is the swift at 152mm and the widest specialized performance mtb saddle is 155mm, and thats only available in a couple of styles. most fo them are only availbale in 130 and 142. maybe people use brooks off-road with good results, but i'd like to also say that for riding trails that are steep or even moderately technical, stai can see brooks being a bit of a nightmare.

hey good luck at Fitz's!!
2007 Bob Jackson Special Tourer - Rohloff
1999 Ritchey Mount Cross - 7800 - Fillet brazed
1991 Ritchey Ultra - ss commuter - TIG
1989 Ritchey Timbercomp - SS/M737 8sp - Fillet brazed
1972 LeJeune Championne Du Monde - French NR

kandi

Postby kandi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:26 pm

I've had very good success with WTB Laser saddles. So comfortable