That was scary

Apple

That was scary

Postby Apple » Tue May 24, 2016 6:02 pm

I bought a Liv mountain bike, only suspension in the front. My friend took me out today for the first time. I am a roadie but had a bad crash about 8 months ago so got a MTB bike for about 1200 dollors, nothing exciting, I use sand shoes with it. I have toe straps. MY road bike is an F8 Pirandello dogma 8) which I love and ride a lot.

Any way today I went out and it scared the Sh*t out of me, I even became airborne, not out of choice, thank god the wheels landed ok on the fire trail with rocks and logs and whatever.

Should I do a course or something, I was Really scared. here is the strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/585988423.
Even though I did well today, how do you get confidence on something like that at an older age.
should I try a bike with dull suspension and get clip shoes? when is the right time to decide about buying the right stuff, how many rides should one do before you really enjoy it.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

mikgit

Re: That was scary

Postby mikgit » Tue May 24, 2016 8:37 pm

you need to belt your friend over the head with a pump for taking you on something you weren't comfortable on.
Usually it's first ride and hooked for most people I've come across (or not at all). But you have to look at the person, gauge their comfort/abilities and then take them to the tamest track you can find (even to just gravel paths) just to see how they go, and then step it up from there. Some you have to ease them into it, other can go straight to hardcore mode.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue May 24, 2016 9:25 pm

mikgit wrote:you need to belt your friend over the head with a pump for taking you on something you weren't comfortable on.
Usually it's first ride and hooked for most people I've come across (or not at all). But you have to look at the person, gauge their comfort/abilities and then take them to the tamest track you can find (even to just gravel paths) just to see how they go, and then step it up from there. Some you have to ease them into it, other can go straight to hardcore mode.
I am so glad you said that :lol: , she is mentally challenged I think, Next time I ride I will have to take it easier. It was very scary and I rode faster just to get out of there.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 24, 2016 11:24 pm

About time you started getting dirty Apple :D

Welcome to a whole new world. Relax, don't strangle the bars and look where you want to go, not at what you want to miss. Don't go too slow, it makes it easier to crash :wink:

If you're north of the harbour, why not ask Trailgumby if he can show you some trails and tips? Don't forget to ask about his broken fork :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 24, 2016 11:45 pm

It's always a bit daunting to try something new, but stick at it and ease into it. Even just riding on gravel without logs & stuff to contend with is different to road riding, as you have less traction and the bike moves around more, so needs the handling skills tuned a bit.

You'll also find it helps to move your body around on the bike a lot more than on road; when going up or downhill, move your weight towards whichever end of the bike is higher - when pointing uphill shift your weight to the front to keep the front wheel down so you keep steering control, when descending shift your weight back to lessen the chance of going over the front.

And yes, do a skills course! Knowing how to negotiate obstacles will go a huge way to building your confidence, as the basic technique is the same whether it's a small osbtacle or a bigger one. Getting airborne is not necessarily a bad thing; sometimes it's a much smoother way of getting over a trail feature!

Get rid of the toe straps. While they can be beneficial on road if you don't want to go fully clipped in, off road they're more of a hindrance than help. They take too much faffing about to get your feet in, and if you're on the open side of the pedals they pose a snag risk that could bring you down. So either go fully open or fully clipped; there are pros and cons to both, but both are better than straps.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed May 25, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks Duck, I have taken your advice, will seriously take it to that level. I cycled out of the trail so fast, just to get out of there. I organised a skills one on one. Riding on the road is getting more dangerous, so many cars. Not sure which is worse rocks or traffic. thanks again for everyones advice.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 am

Over time you should be able to work out what most MTB riders know. Road bikes give you legs and lungs, MTB gives you smiles.

Step back from the technical trails and get used to easier stuff first. I does take some time to get used to it.

Edit: the is nothing wrong with learning on a hard tail, you'll learn better skills.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Wed May 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Apple wrote: I use sand shoes with it.
I have toe straps.
should I try a bike with dull suspension and get clip shoes?
I say this as someone with a (lapsed) cycling coach qualification, please do not use clipless pedals while learning. They mask bad technique and make learning new things harder. You're not missing out on anything by riding flats and it's more fun. The toe clips/straps can go, it's good to be able to move your feet around on the pedals, maybe try either of these, mg1, mg5.

c r c currently have mtb flat shoes for cheap if you want a pair just to use for mtb.
Mulger bill wrote:Don't go too slow, it makes it easier to crash :wink:
I would agree with this. Let off the brakes and relax. Your hardtail is more than adequate, have fun.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 25, 2016 7:09 pm

[quote="metalrideroz]...maybe try either of these, mg1, mg5[/quote]
May I suggest something like THESE as a companion purchase?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed May 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Mulger bill wrote:[quote="metalrideroz]...maybe try either of these, mg1, mg5
May I suggest something like THESE as a companion purchase?[/quote][/quote]
differently,
seeing I have already so much metal in my elbow from my crash. I will sure get all that. :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed May 25, 2016 8:29 pm

metalrideroz wrote:
Apple wrote: I use sand shoes with it.
I have toe straps.
should I try a bike with dull suspension and get clip shoes?
I say this as someone with a (lapsed) cycling coach qualification, please do not use clipless pedals while learning. They mask bad technique and make learning new things harder. You're not missing out on anything by riding flats and it's more fun. The toe clips/straps can go, it's good to be able to move your feet around on the pedals, maybe try either of these, mg1, mg5.

c r c currently have mtb flat shoes for cheap if you want a pair just to use for mtb.
Mulger bill wrote:Don't go too slow, it makes it easier to crash :wink:
I would agree with this. Let off the brakes and relax. Your hardtail is more than adequate, have fun.
wow thank you so much. lots of information here. :D
I met up with one of my friends today who is like a pro mountain bike rider and she will organise a better bike for me and start me on skills. I just hope I am not to old to start.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed May 25, 2016 8:31 pm

bychosis wrote: Edit: the is nothing wrong with learning on a hard tail, you'll learn better skills.
well thats interesting, thank you. I am so surprised I didn't fall off. I was very scared too.
since I crashed so badly on my roadie. I made sure I stayed up right through that trail. I have no idea how.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Apple wrote:
bychosis wrote: Edit: the is nothing wrong with learning on a hard tail, you'll learn better skills.
well thats interesting, thank you. I am so surprised I didn't fall off. I was very scared too.
since I crashed so badly on my roadie. I made sure I stayed up right through that trail. I have no idea how.
Just to expand on bychosis' point, dual suspension tends to allow you to be a bit lazy in learning the skills because it is more forgiving over the bumps - it let's you get away with more bad habits! A hardtail (front suspension only, such as you currently have) somewhat forces you to learn good bike handling skills because it's more prone to bouncing you off the trail if you get it wrong! It's a harder bike to ride well, but it will make you a better rider.

You are never too old to learn new things; age is only in your mind. :wink:

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet is tyre pressure. All tyres have a recommended pressure range. While on road you generally tend to set the pressure toward the top of the pressure range for easy rolling, off-road you want your tyres right down at the bottom of the recommended pressure range. Softer tyres are much better at staying in contact with the ground; when the pressure is low the tyres can squish over little bumps in the trail, improving grip and handling. When the tyres are too hard, they don't squish so well, and tend to bounce off little bumps instead, making the bike more difficult to control.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 25, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi Apple, I'd be happy to show you some mountain bike skills fundamentals to help get you started.

PM me if you want to discuss further. We'll look at bike set up, position of controls, using the "attack position" to safely negotiate rough terrain, cornering, braking, ratcheting, negotiating small trail obstacles, steep descents and steep climbs.

Edit: looks like you're being catered for by your friend.

If you want more formal training in a professional coaching setting I can recommend Fiona Dick from Chocolate Foot. She does one-on-one training at very reasonable rates and from what I've seen of her classes she has a good teaching system that builds confidence and skills quickly.

Good tips from Duck! on tyre pressures. Makes a massive difference.

I also agree with using flat pedals and matching bike-specific shoes to start with, but the only suggestion I would add is to buy some knee+shin pads as the pins on those flat pedals can take a bite out of your shins!

I agree the hardtail is good enough for now. I still pull mine out form time to time for some fun.

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu May 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Duck! wrote:
Apple wrote:
w

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet is tyre pressure. All tyres have a recommended pressure range. While on road you generally tend to set the pressure toward the top of the pressure range for easy rolling, off-road you want your tyres right down at the bottom of the recommended pressure range. Softer tyres are much better at staying in contact with the ground; when the pressure is low the tyres can squish over little bumps in the trail, improving grip and handling. When the tyres are too hard, they don't squish so well, and tend to bounce off little bumps instead, making the bike more difficult to control.
OH Sh*t I pumped them to the highest :lol: :lol: :lol:
I must be goood to stay up right or just needed to get the hell out of their. Maybe god was on my side 8)

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

trailgumby wrote:Hi Apple, I'd be happy to show you some mountain bike skills fundamentals to help get you started.

PM me if you want to discuss further. We'll look at bike set up, position of controls, using the "attack position" to safely negotiate rough terrain, cornering, braking, ratcheting, negotiating small trail obstacles, steep descents and steep climbs.

Edit: looks like you're being catered for by your friend.

If you want more formal training in a professional coaching setting I can recommend Fiona Dick from Chocolate Foot. She does one-on-one training at very reasonable rates and from what I've seen of her classes she has a good teaching system that builds confidence and skills quickly.

Good tips from Duck! on tyre pressures. Makes a massive difference.

I also agree with using flat pedals and matching bike-specific shoes to start with, but the only suggestion I would add is to buy some knee+shin pads as the pins on those flat pedals can take a bite out of your shins!

I agree the hardtail is good enough for now. I still pull mine out form time to time for some fun.
Thanks Trailgumby,
I am onto her. :D she emailed me. I didn't know you are into MTB, Must have passed each other sometimes in Terrey Hills.
Love to catch up for a ride. Have to get some elbow protactors. I have metal in one of my elbows from a bad crash last year :cry:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 26, 2016 8:36 pm

Apple wrote:Thanks Trailgumby,
I am onto her. :D she emailed me. I didn't know you are into MTB, Must have passed each other sometimes in Terrey Hills.
Love to catch up for a ride. Have to get some elbow protactors. I have metal in one of my elbows from a bad crash last year :cry:
Sorry to hear about the crash, sounds like it was pretty serious. Elbow pads are a very good idea. Glad you've connected up with Fiona, she's a good operator.

Yeah, MTB's my main thing. Nothing quite like getting away from the built environment. Although group road riding with a slightly-faster-than-me bunch that AUBicycles has recently introduced me to comes a close second.

It would indeed be good to catch up for a ride. I've just PM'd you my contact details.
Last edited by trailgumby on Thu May 26, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu May 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Easy does it Tigar, :D
I only had one crazy mother of a ride. as it says scared Sh*t out of me. I am a novice +++, not even born yet.
I need to ride on grass first. Sure I would be happy to meet at Terrey Hills.
Seems like MTB is getting very popular, not sure why yet. All I see is a lot of Rocks, horse !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! mud and sand. :? but I am going to give it a go. :? :shock: Roads are getting scary now and I don't ride on the Pacific hwy anymore, I don't even go down the gorge. Bobbin head and West head is all I do these days.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu May 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Apple wrote:OH Sh*t I pumped them to the highest :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to run my 26" tubed tyres at 45psi to stop pinch flats, did it for years and didn't know want better. When I found out about lowering the pressure it made a decent difference. Dropped tubed tyres to 30-35psi and the grip increase was great without any puncture problems. Couldn't bring myself to lower them further, but have since gone tubeless and dropped more pressure with further improvement.

Enjoy the experimentation! Hoping it's more trial and less error for you. :D
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 26, 2016 9:42 pm

Apple wrote:Easy does it Tigar, :D .
Sorry, I was meaning to convey that my Sunday morning MTB ride is my main expedition for the week, not that i was expecting you to be remotely interested in undertaking a similar mission. You beat me before I finished editing :oops: :oops: :oops:

Happy to fit around whatever is comfortable for you.

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri May 27, 2016 1:50 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Apple wrote:Easy does it Tigar, :D .
Sorry, I was meaning to convey that my Sunday morning MTB ride is my main expedition for the week, not that i was expecting you to be remotely interested in undertaking a similar mission. You beat me before I finished editing :oops: :oops: :oops:

Happy to fit around whatever is comfortable for you.
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh Trailgumby, we do go a long way.
I would love too. I will message you

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Well I got myself a racing bike, demo, it is a fast mother of all bikes. It just takes off.specialized s-works era, Am I crazy, Yes always have been.
I took it back on the trail again and found that perimeter was much easier. Some of my cycling friends said. Good luck controlling it. But I say, well, I don't know any different really, I gave my hard tail to my daughter as she wants to come with me next time. After 20 years as a road rider who would have thought I would do the MTB. Now I have to find new trails and explore. [URL=http://s731.photobucket.com/user/p ... inal[/img][/url]
He is holding my bike. :P

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:39 pm

Good work, glad to see the early experience didn't put you off! :-)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:45 pm

About time! Told you ages back you'd enjoy being a dirty girl! :P
London Boy 29/12/2011

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:24 pm

well, I see so many friends go to the dark side, so I thought, why not give it another go. I rode it today as well, There is something special about MTB, the wild and nature part. The only thing it is best to go with someone, I am very picky :P Now to find more trails in Sydney