That was scary

trailgumby

Re: That was scary

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Apple wrote: The only thing it is best to go with someone, I am very picky :P Now to find more trails in Sydney

You have a standing invite from me.

H2O (Westleigh) or Wylde next Sunday morning, or another of your choice. :wink:

Wylde is flowy and not very technical and is more rewarding the faster you go. Really fun beginner's track. I saw you've joined the Westleigh FB group a couple of days ago.

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:47 pm

trailgumby wrote:You have a standing invite from me.

H2O (Westleigh) or Wylde next Sunday morning, or another of your choice. :wink:

Wylde is flowy and not very technical and is more rewarding the faster you go. Really fun beginner's track. I saw you've joined the Westleigh FB group a couple of days ago.

yes I joined everything, I was thinking of going to Wylde, but I was told it was hilly. I would be delighted to go with you, Let me try the Perimeter afew more times or you can always meet me there as well, I know you know it well. I need to be very confident with the whole trail, it shouldn't take me long. I like the sound of Wylde.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Duck! wrote:
You'll also find it helps to move your body around on the bike a lot more than on road; when going up or downhill, move your weight towards whichever end of the bike is higher - when pointing uphill shift your weight to the front to keep the front wheel down so you keep steering control, when descending shift your weight back to lessen the chance of going over the front.

And yes, do a skills course! Knowing how to negotiate obstacles will go a huge way to building your confidence, as the basic technique is the same whether it's a small osbtacle or a bigger one. Getting airborne is not necessarily a bad thing; sometimes it's a much smoother way of getting over a trail feature!

Get rid of the toe straps. While they can be beneficial on road if you don't want to go fully clipped in, off road they're more of a hindrance than help. They take too much faffing about to get your feet in, and if you're on the open side of the pedals they pose a snag risk that could bring you down. So either go fully open or fully clipped; there are pros and cons to both, but both are better than straps.

Thanks for this, I am often coming back to it as reference . I was watching a guy go up the hill and notice that his weight was more at the back and his whole front wheel just went up and over his head. :lol: I wouldn't be laughing if it was me. but interesting to watch.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm

That's why mtb saddles are longer than road, and broader across the nose. Often you need to slide as far forward as you comfortably can on steep climbs, like the one at the end of Long Trail, to keep the nose down.

Been riding my son's bike a bit more of late. It has longer travel and more rearward bias in the geometry for descending. Coming back up Heath Track at Cascades I was tired and forgot to exaggerate the slide forward for this bike and, yup, had to bail out 'cos I was starting to loop out :lol:

Have messaged you on FB re: Sunday

Not sure I'd call Wylde hilly, but it's all relative I suppose.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Hah, I can relate. Took up riding a few years ago just shy of 50 and bought an MTB. Friends of my wife who are experienced MTB'ers took me out to Manly Dam for one of my first off-road rides! Got airborne a few times myself; thankfully only one minor fall all session but I have to say that with very few off-road rides under my belt even now, I enjoy the fire trails more than the technical stuff atm. At the time I was around 114kg so I tended to hit the ground pretty hard! ;) But I would like to work on my skills and confidence at some point... I'm a little lighter these days but still a ways to go yet!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:54 pm

tcdev wrote:Hah, I can relate. Took up riding a few years ago just shy of 50 and bought an MTB. Friends of my wife who are experienced MTB'ers took me out to Manly Dam for one of my first off-road rides! Got airborne a few times myself; thankfully only one minor fall all session but I have to say that with very few off-road rides under my belt even now, I enjoy the fire trails more than the technical stuff atm. At the time I was around 114kg so I tended to hit the ground pretty hard! ;) But I would like to work on my skills and confidence at some point... I'm a little lighter these days but still a ways to go yet!

Manly Dam! What were they thinking? :shock: I've stopped taking new people there even when they specifically ask. Did it twice before I learned better: they were both so scared they didn't come back.

I enjoy the track immensely, but I always treat the first lap as a sighting-in lap. It changes so much from week to week from weather and well-intentioned but ignorant people moving things around that you simply cannot let rip without a recce lap first.

At the moment the worst section is the bit that runs parallel to Cootamundra Drive towards the Hydro Lab. Very badly eroded, baby head-sized rocks everywhere and you have to hop from side to side on the walls of the erosion gully or your front wheel washes out or you sustain pedal strike. Lots of crashes and OTBs being sustained on that section at the moment. However, I believe it is on Council's radar for remediation.