Buying a new MTB ...

zed

Buying a new MTB ...

Postby zed » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Hey guys I'm after a new MTB, but no idea what I want/need. I've got an old 2003 Giant Rainier and I've just discovered there are some great MTB trails in Perth, so have enjoyed flogging my bike around those. But it's old and knackered so needs updating. I used to race BMXs so love jumping and riding hard, but know very little about MTBs. My budget is around $2K I was looking at the Giant Anthem, but my mate reckons the Trance would be better with 140mm travel. But there doesn't seem to be any Trance 3 or 2s around only 1s and they are way too $$. Are there any other models I should look at? Also when Giant lists the Anthem and Trance with the numbers 1, 2 and 3, what do they reference, is that a spec? So 1 is better spec than 3, hence the price?

Trevtassie

Re: Buying a new MTB ...

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:03 pm

The Anthem is a little delicate for big hits, the Trance is def more trail orientated like your mate suggests. That being said I give my Anthem a flogging, but I rarely get much air, I'm too old to bounce now. Even so I use all of the travel most of the time, with the pressure set a little above where it should be. And indeed the Giant system is 4 is lowest spec, 1 is highest, then there is generally an Advanced model, usually the same as a 1 but in Carbon.
But you need patience (Grasshopper), it took me 6 months to find my bike at the right price: 2015 Anthem 27.5.1 converted to 1x 11 with Stans wheels for $1650. (the rear is as buckled as, pulled into line for sale by leaving some spokes with zero tension, but hey, it was a good price). Worse thing was my times at first were slower compared to my old 1990s ATX840 with 60mm of front travel because modern bikes have slacker steering.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:20 pm

If you are into jumping and riding hard don't go for a cross country design like the anthem. Step it up a bit more and get a more relaxed geometry and longer travel suspension. Cross country bike, while tough enough don't inspire as much confidence on the downhills as more trail oriented designs.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:54 pm

I went shopping with 2k last month and came home empty handed. Ended up spending 1200 on the 10yr old bike and couldn't be happier. If your old frame is still ok, then a few hours on chainreaction updating etc and you can end up with a nicely spec'd bike

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:16 am

I wish I'd kept my Rainier.

I'll let the locals recommend a bike for your trails but keep the Rainier and refurbish. Hardtails are so much more fun when you only have the time for a quick blast of urban silliness :mrgreen:

I built up a steel hardtail six months after getting my first dually. :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011