26inch wheels to 27inch

Postby Biancam22 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:22 am

I have an older giant anthem with 26inch wheels
i was wondering would i be able to puit 27 inch wheels on it
thanks

mikgit

Re: 26inch wheels to 27inch

Postby mikgit » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:46 pm

how much clearance do you have, if loads then probably, if not then probably not... but...why?
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Getting decent 26" rubber is becoming more difficult. No one is releasing anything new for 26", all new development is going into 27.5 mostly, and 29" to a lesser extent.

As above, if it fits you're good. Chances are slim, though, with the tight clearances in most of Giant's "Maestro" rear triangles.

Incidentally, this "Maestro" rear triangle design with its short links is why they've tried to drag the market to 27.5", because their rear triangles are much too long with 29" wheels, impacting handling and requiring the use of steep head angles to try to retain steering agility. There was little they could do without dropping their signature rear suspension design.

It's also why the rest of the market that has stayed with 29" wheels on their XC offerings are using either four-bar or single-pivot designs, as you can get the wheel closer to the BB with them.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Simple answer is no. But don't worry because there's plenty of 26" XC tyres available in Europe and gettable here. Plus a decent set of laterally stiff wheels under these things can do amazing stuff unlike the generic Giant issue wheels.

My 29er Anthem handles just fine on our twisty little course and on quite a few others besides...not bad for a marathon bike. A mates 26er version is not rubbish either on the same tracks...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Won't fit, frame tolerance is way too tight. On the 1st-gen '06-'08 frames the back end is so tight even fitting bigger than 2.1" tyres is very marginal.

Additionally, and this is a generic thing & not specific to the Anthem, fork clearance under full compression is a problem. Clearance under the lower bridge is OK, but when the fork is bottomed out the larger tyre can hit the underside of the crown, which can lead to painful results.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:49 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Simple answer is no. But don't worry because there's plenty of 26" XC tyres available in Europe and gettable here. Plus a decent set of laterally stiff wheels under these things can do amazing stuff unlike the generic Giant issue wheels.

My 29er Anthem handles just fine on our twisty little course and on quite a few others besides...not bad for a marathon bike. A mates 26er version is not rubbish either on the same tracks...

26" Anthems are absolute weapons in flowy stuff; the steep head (by modern standards, at 71 degrees) makes the thing a bit of a handful when the going gets lumpy, especially downward, and can be a little bit prone to digging the front wheel in on really tight stuff, but open the tracks just a little bit and it really shines with flickable agility.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.