Fulcrum Red Power 29" 6-Bolt MTB wheelset

RonK

Fulcrum Red Power 29" 6-Bolt MTB wheelset

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 am

Does anybody have experience with these wheels?

They are on sale for $134.99 and I was considering a set as alternate wheels for street use to avoid the messy task of changing tubeless tyres.

They do have an XD freehub body, but a standard body can be found for around $50 so still a bargain .
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

trailgumby

Re: Fulcrum Red Power 29" 6-Bolt MTB wheelset

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:06 am

Not tubeless compatible, if we're looking at the same listing. Also a little narrow on the inside width at only 19mm. :(

While I understand you probably don't need to go tubeless for street use, I would be nice to have for backup.

A mate had something similar if not the same on his Ibis Mojo 26er and they seemed OK - I don't recall him having any issues.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:36 pm

trailgumby wrote:Not tubeless compatible, if we're looking at the same listing. Also a little narrow on the inside width at only 19mm. :(

While I understand you probably don't need to go tubeless for street use, I would be nice to have for backup.

A mate had something similar if not the same on his Ibis Mojo 26er and they seemed OK - I don't recall him having any issues.
I think that is plenty wide enough for 35-40mm road touring tyres, and tubeless is not essential.

Thing is after coming home from a backroads bikepacking tour I don't want to wear out my Mezcals riding around the streets. But it's bloody messy changing tubeless tyres and the expensive sealant is lost.

It's rare to to see a wheelset of any reasonable quality going for that price.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:46 pm

RonK wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Not tubeless compatible, if we're looking at the same listing. Also a little narrow on the inside width at only 19mm. :(

I think that is plenty wide enough for 35-40mm road touring tyres, and tubeless is not essential.

Thing is after coming home from a backroads bikepacking tour I don't want to wear out my Mezcals riding around the streets. But it's bloody messy changing tubeless tyres and the expensive sealant is lost.

It's rare to to see a wheelset of any reasonable quality going for that price.
Sounds good. I agree re: the tyre size. It's a pretty amazing price. No reason not to pull the trigger. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Yeah, too good to pass up I reckon. Buy button clicked.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Yeah i bought a set. Then I thought about having some spare spokes and it's almost cheaper to buy a whole new wheelset for spares lol.

The shimano freewheel body part number is #RP9-022, almots cost more delivered than the wheels :P.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:41 pm

15mm front is not an issue? can you convert them to QR front and 135QR rear?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:01 pm

march83 wrote:15mm front is not an issue? can you convert them to QR front and 135QR rear?
Yep can convert both front and back. Use endcaps or axle adaptors purchased seperately.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:06 pm

march83 wrote:15mm front is not an issue? can you convert them to QR front and 135QR rear?
Not for me. That is exactly the axle size I want.

But yes, you can change the end caps for other axle sizes.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Calvin27 wrote:The shimano freewheel body part number is #RP9-022, almots cost more delivered than the wheels :P.
Have you fitted it yet? What tools are needed - if any?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 pm

RonK wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:The shimano freewheel body part number is #RP9-022, almots cost more delivered than the wheels :P.
Have you fitted it yet? What tools are needed - if any?
Wheels arrived, the freewheel is still in the mail. Diagram looks easy enough though, juts a spanner and wrench to loosen and screw it out.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 pm

RonK wrote:Yeah, too good to pass up I reckon. Buy button clicked.
Good job. Post up some photos for us when they're fitted. :)

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Can't seem to attach the pic but freehub body changed.

The end nut things was hard to get off because the other end has nothing to hold onto. Had to stick it in a vice and scratch the crap out of the middle of the axle. (I'ts not a contacting surface).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:28 pm

RonK wrote:Does anybody have experience with these wheels?

They are on sale for $134.99 and I was considering a set as alternate wheels for street use to avoid the messy task of changing tubeless tyres.

They do have an XD freehub body, but a standard body can be found for around $50 so still a bargain .
Arent they 142x12 rear?

Are they suitable for your rear dropouts RonK :?:

I'd seen that the 2017 Fargo frame on bike24 had alternator dropouts suitable for 12x148 "Boost through axles" but must have missed it in the earlier frame.

The customer feedback appears a little less than stellar but for "alternate wheels for street use" I'd imagine perfect.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:Does anybody have experience with these wheels?

Arent they 142x12 rear?

Are they suitable for your rear dropouts RonK :?:

I'd seen that the 2017 Fargo frame on bike24 had alternator dropouts suitable for 12x148 "Boost through axles" but must have missed it in the earlier frame.

The customer feedback appears a little less than stellar but for "alternate wheels for street use" I'd imagine perfect.
Yes, I have 15x100 front and you should recall from my Fargo thread that I changed the alternator plates to 12x142. That is why I'm buying this wheelset.

They are Fulcrum - made by Campagnolo, not some no-name wheels, and I'm confident they'll be fine for riding around the city.

And for $135 - how could I go wrong.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:50 pm

RonK wrote: Yes, I have 15x100 front and you should recall from my Fargo thread that I changed the alternator plates to 12x142. That is why I'm buying this wheelset.

They are Fulcrum wheels - made by Campagnolo, not some no-name wheels, and I'm confident they'll be fine for riding around the city.

And for $135 - how could I go wrong.
My current state of recall is poor indeed, hopefully a residual effect of an old brain injury and not indication of approaching Alzheimers.

Its kudos to Salsa that they, by virtue of the alternator dropouts, made the Fargo as versatile as they did.

I had recently noticed Surly changing the width of their fixed rear dropouts, making in my opinion, them less versatile in that rather than a change of replaceable dropouts, one needs special adaptors which means I've no inclination to exchange my frame for a newer model Ogre.

I agree it would be extremely hard to go wrong with those wheels at $135.00.

I initially took the time to take a look in case they had been suitable for a spare set of hoops for emergency usage for myself.

There appeared to be much fewer hub widths available the few short years ago when I built up the Ogre.

Good luck with the new hoops, they sound perfect for your stated use.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.