26" wheels on a 27.5" frame

open roader

26" wheels on a 27.5" frame

Postby open roader » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm

I do apologize if this is buried somewhere here in the MTB forum but after a basic search I can't find an answer to......

Can I run my 26" wheels in a 27.5" frame. I have first option to purchase a lighter weight carbon 27.5 frame which I know has a clean history and I actually can afford, however, I do already have 2 pairs of quality 26" wheels - a 19mm wide rim and a pair of wider rims with a 32mm DH rear rim. I also have 4 pairs of various types and sizes of 26" rubber including some 2.5" knobbies.

Aside from lowering the cranks/bb in relation to the ground and steepening the fork angle :- are their any other obvious effects I'm going to discover to my detriment? I was planning on fitting my current RokShox Air Recon forks from my 2010 XTC 2.

I use my MTB on everything from wet bitumen road training, gravel road riding, farm tracks, to moderate grade forest trails but nothing with more than a 4 or 5 " lump of rock or tree root to negotiate. The frame I have an option to purchase is a hard tail.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Duck!
Expert

Re: 26" wheels on a 27.5" frame

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 pm

You'll run a bit closer to the ground, but very little else will change. Fork angle will stay the same because you're dropping both ends of the bike by the same amount, but the trail - distance of the tyre's contact point behind the steering axis's theoretical contact point - will reduce very slightly, which may have a barely-perceptible sharpening of the steering.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:22 am

We shouldn't assume, but it is disc brakes isn't it? Rim brakes will be tricky.

Otherwise it's worth a shot. You might be able to run some bigger rubber to ge put back some of the lost diameter, but that will depend on the frame and what tyres you are already running.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Yep, disc brakes. My tyres range from slick 1.25" to 2.5" nobby sets and a huge Maxxis Hookworm 2.5 rear which looks like it will fit in said 27.5er frame!
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking