Upgrade

BJMcC

Upgrade

Postby BJMcC » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:12 pm

I currently have an old 2007 Scott hardtail bike (26inch wheels, Rockshox Reba forks w/remote lockout, Shimano XT Deore disc brakes & 3x9) which I picked up for around $400 a few years ago. I'm now looking to upgrade and spend around $1,000 on a second hand 27.5 bike. Would I get a much better bike than I currently have for this amount? Also I was considering staying with a hardtail, however am seeing some dual suspension bikes at around that price. I have a bit of knowledge on what's good quality and what to look out for on a second hand bike, however the main thing I don't know a lot about, is suspension. Would anyone have any advice on what are the key things to look out for when checking out both rear and front suspension?

silentbutdeadly

Re: Upgrade

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:50 pm

If you are planning on using the bike then budget for a rear shock service every year. This is rarely cheap unless you plan on getting the skills and gear you need to do the routine damper service (the outer can service is easy enough).

Honestly, I'm not sure the extra coin you have on the table is enough to make a real and valuable difference unless you are seeking 8th tenths or better. I'd be inclined to hunt up a new wheelset instead and perhaps go for a clutched 10 spd driveline...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

BJMcC

Re: Upgrade

Postby BJMcC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks. I thought I probably wouldn't get much better than my current bike for that price. I might wait a while and spend a bit more for an upgrade down the track.