Broken Spokes

jarwil80

Broken Spokes

Postby jarwil80 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 pm

I have a Giant Talon that is close to 3 years old. Since new I have broken 3 spokes in the rear wheel and 2 of those have been in the last 6 months. Bike has just been into LBS to replace a spoke.

I was riding on road this morning when I heard a twang and found the spoke broken at the top. Is this a usual thing to happen?

What am I best to do, replace broken spokes when they break,replace all the spokes on the back wheel or look at replacing the back wheel? Neither of these would be done by me, would take it to LBS.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Giant Talon 4 2015
Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017

tcdev

Re: Broken Spokes

Postby tcdev » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 pm

My Giant MTB broke a couple of spokes and after the 2nd - which went as I was cycling along a relatively smooth road - my LBS had my wheels sent back to Giant to be rebuilt with "stronger spokes".

Thought it was all sorted but about 12 months later - ping - another, this time at the nipple (top). I didn't notice exactly when it went but I must admit I was riding down stairs earlier that day.

I can't offer a definitive suggestion, just anecdotal evidence that it does happen (to other Giant MTB owners at least). Perhaps ask your LBS to send it back to Giant for replacement/repair?
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:59 am

Most likely the wheels were built with unbalanced spoke tension, meaning some spokes are taking more strain than others. The wheel doesn't have to go back to Giant, or rebuilt with "stronger" spokes, it just needs to be built properly.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jarwil80

Postby jarwil80 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for the replies.

After another 2 broken spokes this week I took it into LBS. They had a look at the wheel and suggested the wheel be replaced to avoid future broken spokes.

They suggested and fitted an Alexrims MD19 that used my existing disc brakes. They also had a Shimano wheel (not sure of model) but would also had to fit new disc brake.

Hopefully will have more luck with this new wheel.
Giant Talon 4 2015
Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 pm

It is not necessary to replace the rotor when changing from a 6-bolt to Centrelock hub, just get an adaptor.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.