10 speed cranks with 9 speed.

mikgit

10 speed cranks with 9 speed.

Postby mikgit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

So today I seem to have broken a set of cranks. Currently running 9 speed setup on that bike (well 3 bikes). I remember that when I built up my last bike getting 9 speed cranks were few and far between (3 years ago) and even less so now. Thinking of maybe getting a 10 speed triple as the simplest option, but will it work fine? Any major issues?
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Duck!
Expert

Re: 10 speed cranks with 9 speed.

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 pm

No problem at all. Only possible consideration, particulary if you're looking at Shimano-flavoured cranks, is that the chainring ratios are a bit different, which will affect the gearing a little bit.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

mikgit

Re: 10 speed cranks with 9 speed.

Postby mikgit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

OK cool. Got my eye on some XTR triples 980? I think I might have some older XT octalink ones, but may need a new chainring as I think ones bent (was back in the day of "oh that chainring might be bent...oooh look new cranks!").

Or I'll muster up some cash and go new Nx11 drivetrain on the FS bike and but the 2x10 on this bike
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex