Mount Buller mountain biking (or similar)

Mububban

Mount Buller mountain biking (or similar)

Postby Mububban » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm new to MTB but my young son is hooked and I'm enjoying it too. He's only 7, but I'm thinking in a few years' time of maybe having a long weekend "boy's trip" to go ride bikes at somewhere like Mt Buller (I'm in WA so we're cutting our teeth at Kalamunda).

I've seen lots of videos about Whistler where they use the ski lifts to take bikes up to the top (Whistler is definitely on the bucket list). Is there a similar setup in Mt Buller or is it shuttle buses?

Where would you recommend in Oz for me to plan for in future? I'd probably hire bikes at the destination for 2 days.

Thanks
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

lone rider

Re: Mount Buller mountain biking (or similar)

Postby lone rider » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Never ridden Buller but I dont think the chair lifts service a lot of where the trails are, others will probably know more, there is a shuttle bus service as well. I think Thredbo are the only other place that does chairlifts during summer. Falls creek take theirs down but there is a shuttle bus. Bright is more the epicentre of cycling holidays in Vic. You have Bright, MtBeauty, Falls, Beechworth, Yackandandah all sort of within an hours drive. I think All Terrain Cycles do rentals and they are at Mansfield and Bright.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Best to check with Mt Buller themselves, but I believe only the Horse Hill lift operates in summer, which services Copperhead and the DH trails. Most of the other trails are on/around Corn Hill, which is on the spur between Mts Buller & Stirling, and on Stirling itself. If returning from Corn Hill and don't want to do the Split Rock climb back to Buller village, you can take Corn Hill Rd back across to the main road, cross the road and then drop into the final section of Copperhead to pick up the lift.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

alf

Postby alf » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Falls Creek might be more fun to be honest.

Check out when Blue Dirt run their shuttles.

If your heart is set on lifts instead of shuttles, Thredbo runs them during their MTB season but they have far fewer trails than Falls Creek.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:11 pm

There's not a lot open in Mt Buller this time of year, I do some work up there during the summer months.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752