Seat post slip

BJMcC

Seat post slip

Postby BJMcC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi, My seat post is slipping quite a bit. How do I tell if I have the right sized seat post for the frame? I bought the bike second hand, so I'm not sure if it's the original seat post. It seems to be reasonably tight when I remove the quick release clamp and move it up and down. I have the clamp very tight and it still drops after a ride.

find_bruce

Re: Seat post slip

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Now is a good time to check for cracks around the seat post clamp.

An easy fix is a drink can shim around the post
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:57 am

What bike is it, someone might know what size it is meant to be? Is it a carbon post? I had an issue on my MTB that was alu post and steel bike, a drink cam shim fixed that but it ended up cold welding itself to the frame because I left it too long between greasings. My road bike used to drop its carbon post in the carbon frame 10-15cm a ride, I ended up buying a new alu post and a clamp that was .2mm smaller than the one that came with it (it was an odd size), that was the only thing that could fix it.
No signature

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:26 pm

yeah what frame, what seatpost. I had a Manitou frame where the seatpost (Manitou/Ringle) would slip no matter what.
My current FS bike, carbon frame aluminium post was fine with the stock seatclamp, but when I switched to a QR clamp would slip a lot, carbon past helped a lot but it would still slip like 1-2 cm over a ride.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 pm

1-2cm during a ride would blow up my knees. I use carbon paste. No problems with slippage.

I only use a QR collar on the alloy-framed bike I share with my son. It's a Surly collar - quite a long lever and excellent locking geometry. Bolt-up collar on all the other frames, tightened to recommended torque.

BJMcC

Postby BJMcC » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks for the responses. Its a Scott racing comp AL Evo 2, however there are no markings on the aluminium seat post. I just put in a drink can shim and I'll see how that goes. I'll be mindful not to let it coldweld itself to the frame. Failing that, I think the carbon paste is the next option.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:51 pm

trailgumby wrote:1-2cm during a ride would blow up my knees. I use carbon paste. No problems with slippage.

I only use a QR collar on the alloy-framed bike I share with my son. It's a Surly collar - quite a long lever and excellent locking geometry. Bolt-up collar on all the other frames, tightened to recommended torque.
Ha yeah doesn't blow me up on say a 1 hour ride, but I notice it. Usually the last 10 or so km of a ride is mostly DH so not such an issue. Went back to a bolt up clamp when I put on a dropper.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex