Beginners mountain biking course in Sydney

grw

Beginners mountain biking course in Sydney

Postby grw » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Is anyone aware of a good introductory course for mountain biking in the Sydney area? My girlfriend is not particularly confident on the bike and I think she needs advice (from someone other than me).
Fine if its women specific although a quick google seemed to suggest that the women specific courses were more expensive yet had almost the same course description as a general beginners course.
A personal recommendation would be appreciated rather than self promoting websites!
Thanks for any help
Gareth

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:19 pm

A lot of people balk at the costs of mtb courses but wouldn't think twice about paying that or much more for a ski or scuba lesson etc. Most people I know that have done a course have often gone back for another.

At present you don't have too much choice in Sydney; Cyclinic only run occasionaly while AMBC run regular courses for all levels

Also Manly Warringah Mountain bike club are planning to run a course sometime before the end of the year after we had to postpone our last one due to rain. She may also benefit from the occasional chix only social rides.

Image[/url]

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Seat down low, lean back, hold on tight, keep off the front brake, hope for the best and pray to the deity of your chosing.

That'll be $50 please.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 am

I know from snowboarding, even though you can do a few runs together, I want to get out and do jumps and get into freestyle type riding while my wife wants to take it easy. We simply go to the snow with a friends and the girls ride together and the boys together. With cycling it is a bit different however if you only ride together you may get frustrated about not being able to push the limits and your partner feels pressured.

One solution if you are out riding together is to split-up - when your partner can set her own pace and doesn't feel subconsciously pushed she can approach riding more relax. If you can find other couples then it could be a good way to enjoy riding to it's fullest. You need a good mixture of riding together and riding to your own limits.
Cycling is in my BNA

grw

Postby grw » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:46 am

Thanks for your help. I've been looking to get some more information on the Manly courses for women...
I think you have it right that the best option might be to split up when on rides. Although I don't necessarily feel the need for speed and big air/ drop offs etc all the time and give my legs enough of a stretch during the week commuting to work, it would still be nice to pick the pace up now and again. I've tried extremely hard to avoid subconciously putting pressure on to go a bit faster but coasting down firetrails applying the brakes is causing me to grind my teeth down and my grin is looking a little forced.
Also any scars I have seem to automatically deem me unsuitable to dole out unsolicited advice.
Thanks again,
Gareth

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:23 pm

What about "gear up girl"?

http://www.gearupgirl.com.au/

An overall confidence booster?

Good luck
It's the Vibe, It's the Constitution, It's Mabo...it's all that...

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:37 am

grw wrote:Thanks for your help. I've been looking to get some more information on the Manly courses for women...
It will be on in January, there will be an announcement at the end of the month.

alchemist

Rescheduled date

Postby alchemist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am

Rescheduled date January 10

Registration Form here

grw

Postby grw » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 am

I booked her onto a clinic after picking up a leaflet in the City Bike Depot -I think its called 'Wannaride'. Dealt with Chris who was very helpful.
Anyway, that's one Christmas present sorted... Romance is not dead however. She's getting a new set of lights for her bike too.
g