Dual sus bikes on a standard bike rack?

Mububban

Dual sus bikes on a standard bike rack?

Postby Mububban » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am

I've got a basic Pacific 4 bike rack, but am wondering if anyone transports dual suspension mountain bikes on racks like this? This is before I potentially buy a used bike and then find I can't get it home :mrgreen:

With the small triangles of modern frames, do they fit? I'd be riding a Large frame size.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Re: Dual sus bikes on a standard bike rack?

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 am

Yes, I’ve done it but it required an adaptor bar that hooks onto the stem and seatpost, like what is used for ladies style frames to create a false top tube.

One hiccup it caused was that it tends to lower the bike and may then require wheel removal.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Depends on the linkage design & shock location. Short-travel frames with a relatively compact rocker & the shock moiunted vertically in front of the seat tube will generally fit pretty well. Longer travel frames with the above type of layout may get a bit tight due to the larger rocker. Frames with the shock located under the top tube will not fit.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm

Duck! wrote:Depends on the linkage design & shock location. Short-travel frames with a relatively compact rocker & the shock moiunted vertically in front of the seat tube will generally fit pretty well. Longer travel frames with the above type of layout may get a bit tight due to the larger rocker. Frames with the shock located under the top tube will not fit.
I've been looking at Giant and Trek with the vertical rear shock. For some reason I really don't like the look of the shock under the top tube.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:47 pm

I use dual-armed racks and all our family duallies fit. The small frames I run one arm through the rear triangle. No need for adapter bars.

But the Pacific you have won't work most likely. The top tube will be too big for the single clamp or there will not be enough space.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 am

Okay, second question - can you recommend a 2 bike carrier suitable for a Reece hitch? It'll only ever be my son and myself riding MTB, my wife and daughter aren't interested.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 am

Grip sport or isi look the goods, but you pay for it. I have a torpedo 7 platform rack as a budget option, it works well for the price. Not sure if it comes in a two bike option, but def is a 3 or 4 version.

Edit: https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7C ... annel-rack 3 bike version.
Last edited by bychosis on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 am

Mububban wrote:Okay, second question - can you recommend a 2 bike carrier suitable for a Reece hitch? It'll only ever be my son and myself riding MTB, my wife and daughter aren't interested.
Checkout Yakima - they have a reasonably priced two bike platform rack.

https://www.yakima.com.au/products/acti ... h/stickup/

https://www.yakima.com.au/products/acti ... /twotimer/
Last edited by RonK on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:33 am

Given the cost of our bikes I only use Saris. Pushys are the new distributors.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.