American Classic MTB-350 Wheelset

Mountainbiking central

American Classic MTB-350 Wheelset

Postby leximack » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:44 pm

hi all, has anyone had any experience with
this wheelset
i am happy with my american classic road wheels and am looking at changing mt mtb ones also, these are nearly as light as my road wheels and seem great value for the price, i dont care that they are not tubeless, i weigh 65kgs and am only interested in xc, i am failry easy on my equipment, any thoughts?

Don
leximack

by BNA » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:53 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:53 pm

No experience Don, just a look at the page...

What's with the huge gap between the rear hub flange and the rotor mount? Would it be a dish thing?

Rims look the goods and seein' as you're a whippet and the budget's OK... :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Deanj » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Don't really no much about them, but I can remember reading a few things when I was looking into buying my wheels and reading different reviews.

The general consensus was they are good light weight average wheel to buy. I did read a few peoples comments about American Classic hubs (the rear) having problems with the bearings and axles but can't remember exactly what it was. They are a good weight for the price though.

No probs with them not being tubeless, just throw a rim strip in and some stans and away you go. I'd put it down as one of the better upgrades you could do to a mtb and wouldn't bother with tubes myself again.
Deanj

Postby leximack » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:04 pm

thanks for the info guys, i am in no hurry so plan to do a bit more research.
leximack

Postby Deanj » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:57 pm

I got a set of Stans rims built up for race wheels a few months a go, but the exchange rate was much better then. I went with the ZTR olympic rims.
Deanj

Postby leximack » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 pm

i have finally made a decision
Have just ordered (along with Rainer (ozelgacy)) a set of custom wheels from twe, 1500g wheelset which Greg says will do me nicely and should last me quite a long time.
Have also ordered a new cassette and a couple fo new rotors so will allow me to have a totally spare wheelset.
Will put up and update after i get them and have taken them for a spin.

Don
leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:07 pm

new cassette and rotors arrived today :D
Greg from TWE called and said that my wheelset was ready and Rainers was just about complete. So should get the new wheelset ready to rock in the next couple of days.
Looking forward to a test run :D :D

Don
leximack

Postby Deanj » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 pm

Will be interested to see a photo when you get them. Do you know what hubs and rims he used?
Deanj

Postby leximack » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Deanj wrote:Will be interested to see a photo when you get them. Do you know what hubs and rims he used?

not sure Dean as they are twe branded, ozlegacy says they look similiar to fulcrum hubs :?: , no idea really but the are very light, spin very, very freely and seem to be very stiff. I have only riden a few km's on them so cant comment to much, i hope to do a 4hr race next sunday 11th so will give them a good run then. I weighed the bike as a whole with old and with new wheels and have saved about 600g, old weight was just under 12kg now its 11.4 ish. Its a stock 2007 Anthem 1 (apart from wheels).
I went with twe mainly becuase of the excellent reviews he has, and at $650 for a 1500g set of mtb wheels i can not complian too much, sure they dont look as blingy as a set of xtr or mavic wheels but for half the cost and for hopefully the same performance hopefully i have made the right choice. Worst case i have a good set of training wheels and can upgrade later.

Don
leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:35 pm

ok, heres some photos, will put up some more complete on bike shots on the weekend.

leximack

Postby Deanj » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Cheers for that, wheels look great for price and weight wise. Could be very tempted in the future.
Deanj

Return to MTB