Clutched derailleurs

lone rider

Clutched derailleurs

Postby lone rider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am

Anyone else given up on them?

Ive tried my best to tolerate the slower, crappier shifting and then there always seems to be a gear in the middle of the cluster which just doesnt sound good when the clutch is on but after never breaking a chain in my life and having 2 seperate ones break on this bike only Ive given up. Went for a 2hr ride with it off and it was bliss. I found it never totally eliminated chain slap anyway so not sure why I bothered for so long.

march83

Re: Clutched derailleurs

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm

If you're running 1x up front without a chain catcher of some sort then the clutch is essential. You will throw chains and eventually it will happen at a terrible moment and you'll wish you still had a clutch :D

If you're running a 2x the front derr does the job and there's really not much point in having a clutch except to reduce slap which is really a cosmetic/annoyance thing that really doesn't matter that much.

If you're breaking chains I'd be worried something else is going on - is your maintenance schedule on point? Is your suspension design giving the chain an extra workout and wearing them out quickly? Chains don't just break because of clutched derrs - clutched derrs are so widespread now and there isn't an epidemic of chain breakages .

Shift quality is definitely a step down, I know, I just replaced a 105 derr on my commuter which shifted
flawlessly and effortlessly, with an XT and a tanpan and now it's just that little bit heavier at the lever and a bit slower on the downshifts which is a shame, but at least it doesn't throw.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 am

I switched mine on the other day for the first time in...2 years maybe, was into a 4 hour race and I was tired so lots of little/little cross chaining over bumpy stuff, chain was clanking away, figured a little bit of help would be good. Otherwise, Im not a fan of the craptastic shifting you get.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:17 am

I'm not a MTB rider but have heard complaints about KMC X11.93 chain breakage on 1X systems with Narrow-Wide rings.
I run the above chains on 2X road bikes perfectly well but wonder what type of chains you are using?

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Using Shimano HG chains and I've built bikes and always done my own maintence and never had issues on any other bike. Am running a 2x so unless there is a far bigger problem with the chain line like rear triangle or wheel out of whack I think I'll keep it off and see how it goes. I have my doubts regarding having a tensioned chain during shifting and the effect on components.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am

I think I left mine off for about a year and still didn't lose a chain.

Been running 11sp and 10sp clutched derailleurs for about 2 or 3 years now.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 pm

lone rider wrote:Using Shimano HG chains and I've built bikes and always done my own maintence and never had issues on any other bike.
Have the family MTBs all with clutched RDs now; 3x, 2x & 1x. Mind you they are all now Shimano and no shifting problems.
Anyone want any SRAM cassettes or RDs? :twisted:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
lone rider wrote:Using Shimano HG chains and I've built bikes and always done my own maintence and never had issues on any other bike.
Have the family MTBs all with clutched RDs now; 3x, 2x & 1x. Mind you they are all now Shimano and no shifting problems.
Anyone want any SRAM cassettes or RDs? :twisted:
You know the cassettes are compatible with your Shimano drivetrains, right? :wink:

I've had the opposite experience - went from Shimano XT type 2 to whatever the SRAM clutched RD is called. Much prefer the SRAM system, no fiddling about adjusting tension or turning on/off.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:53 pm

I've broken two KMC chains in races, but I was tired and my shifting was getting very sloppy and late.

I wouldn't go back to non-clutched. It's not any better.

If you've ever ridden MY2010 Shimano XT Rapid Rise (aka Low Normal) 3x9 with shifting integrated into the brake levers nothing will ever come close for ergonomics and smooth shifting. This was the second generation integrated shifting and it was a huge improvement ergonomically over the first generation. Simply brilliant. Unfortunately it was killed off when 10-speed and clutched RDs came out.

I've only ever dropped my front chain twice in 5 years of ownership. I credit the clutched RD for that.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:55 pm

m@ wrote:You know the cassettes are compatible with your Shimano drivetrains, right? :wink:
SRAM cassettes (and chains) are made of cheese. Shimano componentry is like a fine wine. So I suppose they can go together. :wink:

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:47 pm

trailgumby wrote:
m@ wrote:You know the cassettes are compatible with your Shimano drivetrains, right? :wink:
SRAM cassettes (and chains) are made of cheese. Shimano componentry is like a fine wine. So I suppose they can go together. :wink:
I'm not drinking fine wine with Coon cheese. There is a huge difference between "compatible" and "plays well together".
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Stredda

Postby Stredda » Fri May 18, 2018 9:46 am

I have an Anthem with a 2x has an XT clutched mech and at one stage I destroyed it an borrowed a non-clutch mech and over rough ground when you weren't pedalling (descents) it would throw the chain off all the time.
I suppose it would depend on the riding you are doing, if you aren't doing big rough descents it probably won't be much of an issue. I know I love my clutch derailleur.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 am

ValleyForge wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
I'm not drinking fine wine with Coon cheese. There is a huge difference between "compatible" and "plays well together".
:lol:
Thanks fellas :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Had my first ever ride on clutched yesterday.
To be honest I didn't notice any shifting issues comparing my two bikes, 10 speed XT no clutch, the new bike 11 speed SLX clutched. SLX bike was silent with no chain slap and shifted beautifully.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:22 am

I wonder what you guys are doing different to me (ie wrong) to experience these shifting issues? :?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
ValleyForge wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:34 am

I'm doing everything wrong lol.

This was a few years ago but I bought a clutched RD to go on the MTB. I decided to to the 1x10 conversion first though and so the narrow wide went one. Several rides later I never got around to using the clutched RD and chain drops were basically fixed. Fast forward a few months and I've lost one chain too many on the graveller bike (ok I am really aggressive graveller but passive MTBr lol) so I decide to chuck the clutched RD on it an it too works.

In a nutshell, I'm a fan but narrow wide really took a huge slice out of the problem that is dropping chains.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:03 pm

For me, I'm not saying they are crap, like say when your 7 speed thumbshifter goes out of wack and you go into friction mode...
i have 3 bikes I rotate through (3x9 XT, 3x9 XTR and 2x10 clutched XT), if I come off one of the other bikes and ride the clutched mech, then I notice it, enough to be a mild irritant. Switched off I don't notice it. The shifting is just that little bit slower, so I just keep it off.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 pm

m@ wrote:I wonder what you guys are doing different to me (ie wrong) to experience these shifting issues? :?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
ValleyForge wrote:
trailgumby wrote: SRAM cassettes (and chains) are made of cheese. Shimano componentry is like a fine wine. So I suppose they can go together. :wink:
I'm running a SRAM cassette and crank on my son's AM 29er with XT everything else and it does go together OK, but the service life is not great despite using top-end KMC chains. High end Shimano just lasts longer.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:24 pm

wasn't a fan until i adjusted the internal tension thingy and quite happy now (1x shimano XT 10speed with NW chainset)
as to breaking chains...don't recall seeing people sat around with broken chains as a regular sight until 10 and 11 speed came along now you see them