Home made MTB see saw

Mububban

Home made MTB see saw

Postby Mububban » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 am

I got the idea from other Youtube videos, so here's my effort putting some shed scraps to good use for me and my son :mrgreen: It gives us something to play with as we're an hour away from our trail centre

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Re: Home made MTB see saw

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Most impressive, and appears to be very well made....except :

Edit : This is not a selfie..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:55 am

Like. Starting my pallet/scrap search soon!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Pallets have now gone to a better place. Total purchases: $0. Made this one a little narrower because the pallet planks were 800mm wide and it made sense to cut them in half for the decking.

Thanks for the motivation Mububban.
Last edited by bychosis on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Most impressive, and appears to be very well made....except :

Edit : This is not a selfie..
:lol:
But
Not a selfie either :mrgreen:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 pm

bychosis wrote:Pallets have now gone to a better place. Total purchases: $0. Made this one a little narrower because the pallet planks were 800mm wide and it made sense to cut them in half for the decking.

Image link isn't working for me!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:52 am

Mububban wrote:
bychosis wrote:Pallets have now gone to a better place. Total purchases: $0. Made this one a little narrower because the pallet planks were 800mm wide and it made sense to cut them in half for the decking.

Image link isn't working for me!
Sorry, fixed it. I have trouble linking imgur pics from phone and usually need to fix it from a PC.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:15 am

Awesome! I'm considering putting some cross bracing like yours onto mine, I'm a fan of over engineering :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 am

I built this one with the idea I will probably drop it at a local MTB trail so for the base I've tried to use as much termite resistant material as possible. Used treated pine and hardwood, except the verticals are soft pine. The cross bracing was an attempt to keep the vertical vertical. The treated pine base had a decent warp in it so was attempting to correct it. The other mod is I've only used two rails along the deck, one is a solid piece, the other is three pieces braced together.

I'm also going to put an end cap on the pivot by drilling half way into another piece and screwing it in place to stop the pivot pole working its way out.

I've also told my sons that they can build another and try to sell it. Need more pallets!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Aaaah, now I get it.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Dropped the seesaw out on the trails on Saturday. As I unloaded it from the Ute a group rode past and one of them said it looked like fun. Had a few goes and left it on the trails, hoping that it would last at least a few months.

Still there today!

MkII is under way, so far the deck is 3.2m long, but I can easily cut it back if it is too long.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:10 pm

bychosis wrote:Dropped the seesaw out on the trails on Saturday. As I unloaded it from the Ute a group rode past and one of them said it looked like fun. Had a few goes and left it on the trails, hoping that it would last at least a few months.

Still there today!

MkII is under way, so far the deck is 3.2m long, but I can easily cut it back if it is too long.
Awesome!

The only one I've encountered at a public trail so far has steel supports underneath for longevity, I'm not sure how long timber will last with adults hitting it at speed, but it'll be fun while it lasts :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:08 pm

The only one I've encountered at a public trail so far has steel supports underneath for longevity, I'm not sure how long timber will last with adults hitting it at speed
Yeah, not sure on the longevity either. I did make the base out of a treated pine sleeper and some hardwood, except for the uprights. Unfortunately steel isn’t cheap. Pallets are free though ;)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Thought it was going to be a "manual" trainer :cry: :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:15 am

trailgumby wrote:Thought it was going to be a "manual" trainer :cry: :wink:
One of those is currently trying to release itself from the wood pile.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:40 pm

bychosis wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Thought it was going to be a "manual" trainer :cry: :wink:
One of those is currently trying to release itself from the wood pile.
A mate of mine made one, and it's been a big help for him. A tip from his learnings - make a tether for the front wheel so you don't land on your ass if you overbalance to the rear.

I have quite fragile sacro-illiac joints, so the risk of going over backwards has been a major disincentive to my trying to learn this skill.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:28 pm

trailgumby wrote: A mate of mine made one, and it's been a big help for him. A tip from his learnings - make a tether for the front wheel so you don't land on your ass if you overbalance to the rear.
I want to make one of these too, with tether, but my poor little shed has no more space to fit another long wooden item in there :mrgreen: