Body armour...

RonK

Body armour...

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 pm

What is the concensus on knee/elbow protection? Do you wear it or just can't be bothered? What's good, what's not?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Re: Body armour...

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:54 pm

What are you riding? I’ve never worn padding. I’m not a downhiller, but do enjoy a good downhill section and the speed associated. I like to keep wheels on the ground most of the time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:14 pm

On the weekend I was riding a fairly steep blue trail, lots of trees, tight turns, drop offs and rock ledges. Seemed quite technical to me but it was the first time I've ridden it. There were plenty of other riders there but didn't seem to be many wearing protection.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:30 am

Helmet and gloves for me. I did wear elbow/knee pads for a bit when racing DH in the late-ish 90's, but not since then.
I'd say if you feel like you'd want them, then wack them on, better safe than sorry.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:47 pm

I wear elbow pads and knee/shin guards. I've only had one stack so far (wiped out on a gravelly corner) and they saved me.
I'm super skinny and all my bones are near the surface, plus I am a MTB noob so I feel more confident wearing them.

I see lots of riders wearing knee pads but no elbow pads where I ride.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:38 am

I use to wear full body armour to race dh but now days I just wear a helmet and gloves.

I don't do any extreme jumps or drops anymore though. I don't even have suspension on any of my bikes anymore but still ride the same tracks I did on a 6in travel dually.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:29 am

Blue Trails - Gloves and half face helmet obviously, knee and elbow pads (Fox Launch Pros)

Always a question of when and not if your gonna go down.

Stredda

Postby Stredda » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:29 pm

I usually wear knee pads on all but the most basic rides and elbow pads if I know I'll be hitting some black diamond trails. Saved me a fair bit of skin over the years. Helmet and gloves a must.