Is my rear shock too soft?

Mububban

Is my rear shock too soft?

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 pm

I'm new to air suspension and dual sus bikes. On my only trail ride (so far) the O ring on my forks (150mm) seemed to indicate a good use of travel, but not bottoming out. However the O ring on my rear shock (140mm) seems to be right down near the bottom of the stanchion (?).

These pictures are after riding up on the street, hopping kerbs, bouncing on the pedals, and riding over a home made ramp:

I'm maybe 70-72kg fully loaded for riding. 66kg in the buff :D The bike shop set my initial air pressures, sag and rebound etc. 110psi in the rear and 75psi in the front. The bike doesn't feel bad, or harsh, or too soggy either, but then again, I don't know what I don't know...

Do air shocks leak air pressure over time like tyres do, or are they pretty much "set and forget" once they're dialled in?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Tamiya

Re: Is my rear shock too soft?

Postby Tamiya » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Doesn't look too bad... is there a preload knob still with air shocks?

Afaik air pressure will leak out eventually, there's no such thing as a perfect seal.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Looks like a bit much travel used unless you’ve taken a fairly big hit. Def worth checkig the current pressure.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 pm

I think you will find the o-ring for the rear will work its way down very quickly regardless of true travel used.
You should be checking it after a static sag test not after riding.

Same with the front, but obviously the front o-ring is not going to work its way up without help from travel use. Doesn't have gravity on its side :)