Affordable full face helmets

Mububban

Affordable full face helmets

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:07 pm

So I went OTB again, and wrote off my Fox Pro Frame full face on its first ride :( My head is fine, I know you only get one brain (or half in my case) but I can't afford to drop another $250 without it hurting.

Has anyone got experience with more entry level full face helmets? Specifically breathability, weight, comfort in hot weather? The Pro Frame's ventilation was amazingly effective. It felt like my head was in a wind tunnel, it was so cool!

I'm looking strongly at the Bell Sanction for my young son and possibly myself too, it seems to get good reviews although it doesn't look that ventilated in pictures:

Bell Sanction - $80 at TBE
850g
https://www.tbe.com.au/products/bell-sa ... et/322020/

I also found the 661 Comp for $119. Some users mentioned it's not the best ventilation? Can't find a weight for it either which is important for kids.
https://www.99bikes.com.au/helmet-fullf ... black-lg-2

I don't want to order online as I have a weird shaped head and need to try it on, same for my son.

Thanks
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Re: Affordable full face helmets

Postby Mububban » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:02 pm

For future google searchers' reference, we tried the Bell Sanction, but it's not possible to wear sunnies or safety glasses with the solid padding that goes all the way around the face. So it'd be goggles or nothing (and seeing as I copped a rock directly in line with my eyeball last ride that my safety glasses stopped, I'm not a big fan of nothing!).
My Fox helmet has a cutout in the padding at the temples to allow glasses, that and it allows great ventilation.

I might pop in to another store tomorrow to try out some 661 and Bluegrass helmets.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Another thing to bear in mind - if it concerns you - is that Bell sent a representative to Victoria to lobby for compulsory helmet laws prior to their being introduced, and along with Camelbak, their parent company is involved in the gun industry which contributes to the NRA's slush fund.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Ended up buying a 661 Comp for $119. The updated (?) model called the Reset was $145 but it didn't allow the wearing of glasses, only goggles. The Comp is a tight squeeze, but you can just fit the arms of the safety glasses in the gap in the padding. And of course, my son loves it :)

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

curious to know how you went OTB? was it a DH ride?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:44 am

Descending an unfamiliar trail. Two tabletop jumps in a row, medium then bigger. Nailed the first one, then thought I'd play it safe and not try and blast the big one. Turns out the second one isn't rollable at anything above slow speed, as it's got a double dip, not a flat tabletop like the first jump. Front wheel went down, and I pogoed over the top.

Should have just sent it and I would have been okay!

Also, my sporting abilities are distinctly C grade, mountain biking has proven no different to any other sport I've ever played :D

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Mububban wrote:Descending an unfamiliar trail.
ah .. there lies your problem, not your skills.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Mububban wrote:Descending an unfamiliar trail. Two tabletop jumps in a row, medium then bigger. Nailed the first one, then thought I'd play it safe and not try and blast the big one. Turns out the second one isn't rollable at anything above slow speed, as it's got a double dip, not a flat tabletop like the first jump. Front wheel went down, and I pogoed over the top.

Should have just sent it and I would have been okay!

Also, my sporting abilities are distinctly C grade, mountain biking has proven no different to any other sport I've ever played :D
Yeah... been riding mtb for over 25 years, race DH for a few way back, never seent a table top on a mtb in my life... and your C grade...yeah sure.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:40 am

mikgit wrote: Yeah... been riding mtb for over 25 years, race DH for a few way back, never seent a table top on a mtb in my life... and your C grade...yeah sure.
I had a hard time understanding what you just wrote. Are you talking about your own experience, or are you trying to describe me? Can you clarify?

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:57 pm

I think he's complimenting your MTB skills lol.
Never jumped a table but maybe thought he was around a C grade MTB'r. You're jumping tables so must be higher than that ha ha?

I have just bought a proframe myself, (if it ever turns up). Hoping I have better luck than you did!

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Yeah sorry, i'd saying you seem to be doing a pretty good job (crashing aside).
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex