Newbie - 100km ride - what food do I take???

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Newbie - 100km ride - what food do I take???

Postby Shiney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi

I have registered for my first ever 100km ride.. I have only ever done about 60kms (up and down) but have had no problems with this distance. I am planning on doing a lot more longer rides before I do the 100km one. My questions is though, what food do i take?? ANd how do i carry it?? May seem like silly questions, but I usually just wait til I get home to eat. I have never taken food / snacks with me. Also, should I have a larger breakfast? I usually wait til I get home..

Thankyou in advance for you patience (!!) and answers.

:D
Shiney

by BNA » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

BNA

Re: Newbie - 100km ride - what food do I take???

Postby newie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Welcome Shiney

I am the same, up to around 60 kms I don't bother eating, but I do when it gets much beyond that.
Usually for me a banana and a muesli bar at the 2-3 hour mark is normally enough to get me up to about 120kms. But I am ready for a good lunch by the end.
I have a decent breakfast (a couple of pieces of toast, or porridge, or fruit with yoghurt and muesli) but not really any more than usual.

Edit: forgot to answer your other question - the banana & muesli bar fit just fine in one of my jersey pockets. If you haven't bought a cycling top yet, the back pockets are incredibly handy for carrying all manner of things, and you would be surprised at how much you can stuff into them when you have to....
newie

Re: Newbie - 100km ride - what food do I take???

Postby Tornado » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm

For me on a 75k ish journey I evenly space out 2 bananas on the journey. Weetbix for brekky about half hour before I leave.

A muesli bar or two, or maybe a couple of pieces of cake could do you fine. Just make sure you practice eating on a couple of rides beforehand. You don't wnat to find out on the day that your stomach doesn't like you eating mid ride or what you eat mid ride.

2012 Avanti Giro 3
2003 GT Palomar
Tornado

Return to Women's Cycling