Introducing the Women

CoffsGal

Re: Introducing the Women

Postby CoffsGal » Mon May 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Wildflower wrote:
CoffsGal wrote: Current bike/s?
Road - Trek Madone 6.9 2010...my new ride since last week.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for your bike? Mine cost $3,200 but I have had the saddle changed to a Selle Italia and I also had Look Keo pedals put on afterwards, so maybe $3,500 all up.
Retails for $8728 (without pedals), but I was working at the LBS so I was able to purchase it somewhat cheaper than that.

Wildflower

Postby Wildflower » Tue May 04, 2010 12:41 am

CoffsGal wrote:
Wildflower wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for your bike? Mine cost $3,200 but I have had the saddle changed to a Selle Italia and I also had Look Keo pedals put on afterwards, so maybe $3,500 all up.
Retails for $8728 (without pedals), but I was working at the LBS so I was able to purchase it somewhat cheaper than that.
I think that you're very lucky. Did you have to save for it or how did you work it so that you could get it? $8,000 is a lot of money to find.

One day when I change over my bike, I would like to try one like you have. You always think that the bike you have is wonderful until you actually try one that is more wonderful i.e. the difference between a Trek Madone 4.5 and a 6.9. I am sure that the difference would be noticeable. Anyway, I'm not going to try one at teh moment because I will just learn how much better riding would be with it and I'd want one a lot. I hope that you get many years of joy. :D

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue May 04, 2010 6:55 am

Wildflower wrote:

I think that you're very lucky. Did you have to save for it or how did you work it so that you could get it? $8,000 is a lot of money to find.

One day when I change over my bike, I would like to try one like you have. You always think that the bike you have is wonderful until you actually try one that is more wonderful i.e. the difference between a Trek Madone 4.5 and a 6.9. I am sure that the difference would be noticeable. Anyway, I'm not going to try one at teh moment because I will just learn how much better riding would be with it and I'd want one a lot. I hope that you get many years of joy. :D
Wildflower, I will reply via PM as we are getting off topic here...em

Kehly

Postby Kehly » Thu May 06, 2010 11:29 am

Location?
Sydney

Road, Mountain, Track... what's your style?
Road, but probably some track for a little more fitness - ye old bike track at the park that is 8)

Current bike/s?
Giant CRX 4W
Royce Union Red Rock hybrid - semi retired.

Riding since?
I was little, smattering over the years, really seriously - this year!

Riding because?
Bad knees, so it's excellent exercise and I hate walking the 20m to/from work and station. Until 6 weeks ago (had surgery), was slowly building up ride to be longer, getting off at different stations etc.

Favourite ride?
Still adjusting to riding in Sydney, old bike wasn't really mobile, my CRX has clipout wheels and fits perfectly in my boot. So I am slowly taking it places and going for rides! I don't mind the stretch along the harbour foreshore from Circular Quay to work in Walsh Bay, lovely early in the morning.

Occupation?
Web Producer

Goals?
To commute most of the way, if not all the way to work and to get fit. Currently at 91.5kg, down 8kg already yay me and heading toward 80 or below if I can.

Most embarrassing moment on the bike?
Falling off near work when I lost my balance :roll:

Best moment on the bike?
Finally pushing past the initial few weeks of OMGosh exercise pain and enjoying the experience again.

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
I registered a few years ago but ongoing injury after a skiing accident forced me to shelve my bike for a bit, I haven't found a home yet on the boards but I'm sure I shall :D

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Location?
Canberra

Road. Many years ago I had a road bike stolen and replaced it with a mtb but the stickiness and handlebars freaked me out. Maybe one day...

Current bike/s?
2009 Fuji Team.
1980's Viner.

Riding since?
Primary school I guess? In high school I rode a bike my dad built out of random parts. In my 20's I did a couple of triathlons. Then had years off. Have just been riding again regularly for the last 6-8 months.

Riding because?
I can't run :(
Oh, and I was looking for an aerobic workout to add to my regular yoga program.

Favourite ride?
I don't have many to compare. Any ride that doesn't include a puncture I think.

Occupation?
Government. Mother of 2 littlies.

Goals?
To get RIPPED. Haha, well, to get faster and more experienced I think. Maybe Fitz's Challenge will be my first event.

Like everyone else, I have had a clipstack at some point.

Best moment on the bike?
I dunno, now I sound like a dud don't I? Quiet, clean, country roads, the smell of sheep and cows, the sounds of frogs and birds.

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
The ACT bit, to learn about local things and possible ride routes.

What has cycling done for me?
I have lost a couple of kgs, I have learned some fixit skills, I am proud of myself, I get time out from toddlers!

HuskiesX2

Postby HuskiesX2 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Location?
BrisVegas

Road please....smooth tarmac please

Current bike/s?
Apollo Eceed...I am a beginner :)
The Red Tank [a brute that got me started]

Riding since?
July '09

Riding because?
Team triathlon was dared....so I accepted.!!!

Favorite ride?
Wherever I am at the time. They are all good sooner or later.

Occupation?
S/Emp. Bookkeeper

Goals?
Get fitter and faster. :D ...... and stop falling off :oops:

Every time I fall off :oops:

Best moment on the bike?
1st time I finished in a Tri. [Noosa, we started out big.!!]

Probably here
You can never have too many huskies

Max

Postby Max » Thu May 20, 2010 6:34 am

Good to see another Brissie chick here! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

isabelle

Postby isabelle » Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 pm

my turn =)

Location?
Melbourne

road and mountain bike (which has slicks on....so i guess i'm more of a roadie =)

Current bike/s?
- specialized
- scott mtb

Riding since?

Riding because?
ever since i was a kid, i've always liked riding. i still have my papa's vintage pushie which he passed on to me

Favorite ride?
anywhere in the city

Occupation?
investment banker

Goals?
at the moment, going to get that trailer-buggy for my cat

riding in hong kong. was stopped because i didn't have a helmet. i swear i was when in fact i was wearing a pink beanie

Best moment on the bike?
meeting michael

at the moment, here! just joined =)
belle
chain it or lose it!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 pm

We sure are getting quite a good number fo women on the boards now - WOOHOO!! :D :D :D

Welcome everyone!!

princesskitty

Postby princesskitty » Wed May 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Location?
NSW/ACT

Road

Current bike/s?
Mongoose

Riding since?
A couple of weeks ago! Very new to this!

Riding because?
I can't run, I do yoga, weights, etc and needed something more plus it gives me time out by myself from the little one and hopefully will meet new people

Favourite ride?
Only been for two so not sure yet

Occupation?
SAHM

Goals?
To get back in shape from having a baby, more confidence and to have some fun

Nothing yet

Best moment on the bike?
My first ride

Not sure yet probably the women's section

What has cycling done for me?
Given me the chance to take some time out and to start getting in shape

Jonquil

Postby Jonquil » Fri May 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Hello fellow female cyclists! Am a long time lurker but thought it was time I joined in the fun so here goes.

Location?
Adelaide

Road

Current bike/s?
Giant TCR2

Riding since?
2005/2006 (can't actually remember)

Riding because?
Buying me a bike satisied my now husband's need for a lbs fix and now because I'm addicted!

Favorite ride?
Anywhere through the beautiful Adelaide Hills in autumn - ahh bike bliss!

Occupation?
Lawyer

Goals?
Finishing BikeSA's Grand Slam Ride #3 this weekend - 130km without my trustee mechanic/husband by my side.

First time on my bike, I mastered the art of clipping in before learning how to unclip.

Best moment on the bike?
Finishing the 90km Coast to Coast ride with an average speed of 33km/hr and still feeling great!

The South Australian Section (to get the inside goss on what's happening around me).

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Welcome to the forums ladies!

Any questions let us know, any problems let us know, we're always up for a chat

bella26

Postby bella26 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 am

Wow great to see lots of forum ladies popping out here! Welcome to all!
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

pocketrocket

Postby pocketrocket » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am

Location?
Melbourne

Road and Track... I love both elements...endurance and then I love to sprint

Current bike/s?
Loaner road bikes cos I am yet to afford my dream road bike :(
But riding a CRX Giant... too slow

Riding since?

Riding because?
All the cliches - I love riding to feel the wind against me, the freedom... Speed

Favorite ride?
Along the coast... anywhere... I love the ocean

Occupation?
Admin Assistant

Goals?
Want to compete in road races or track cycling, but don't know anyone who cycles...
Would love to form a group to ride Adelaide to Melbourne - no rush - but along the coast.
Would love to go to France and do a tour of one of the legs of the Tour de France

First time I used clipless I fell into on coming traffic, I haven't used them since

Best moment on the bike?
Completing the 120km Amy Gillett Ride in Geelong on my Giant Bike which was a massive achievement. Did it by myself!

All different areas, Im here to learn and meet cycling buddies :)

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:11 pm

Fantastic to see so many girls :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Chamy

Postby Chamy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 am

ok this is my second attempt at posting, the first time i hit quote to missy's OP, filled in all my answers, and then when i hit post it came up with all of missy's answers :?

Location?
Sydney

Road.......definately endurance, just cant seem to get my average speed up. Im sure that will change once it hits magpie season tho :P

Current bike/s?
i started on Gigi, a flat bar Giant CRX - which was my first ever bike so i love her to bits
current bike is The Prince - a Cervelo RS 2009

Riding since?
about 9 months - 2009

Riding because?
The same reasons that everyone has put.....it's my own time of therapy where i turn off my phone and not reachable by anyone and get to just zone out and enjoy being outside, being active, going fast....

Favorite ride?
I havent ventured out too much from the m7 cycleway.....but i have done cronulla to homebush, and loved riding along the coast, so anywhere near water would be a fave.

Occupation?
Psychologist

Goals?
Do the Sydney to Gong first time this year
Join a cycling group, do some tours around Australia
Take on some of the terrain in France in 2011

i honestly cant tell you. It's THAT bad. But im sure if you pressed my significant other, he'd eventually spill :oops:

Best moment on the bike?
Completing the Gear up Girl bike challenge in March this year......did it on Gigi, by myself, first time riding in an event (or with other people).......was a brilliant moment.

Mostly on the NSW section to check out the M7 safety thread before heading out for a ride. Would love to spend more time in the women's forum, and hopefully it builds up even more :)

Ok.......lets see if this works......

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:46 am

I thought it was funny that another girl had done the DBMA ride... then I remembered that I was the only girl on it!

Nice to have you on board Chamy!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Location?
Brisbane

Road, started out on a MTB, just switched to a Marin earlier this month.

Current bike/s?
Marin Pasubio Alloy frame
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page= ... ts_id=2791

Riding since?
Seriously since April '10, but rode all the time as a kid, just took a 30 year break!!

Riding because?
To avoid becoming a cycling widow, I joined my hubby and found that I love the challenge of riding!

Favorite ride?
At this early stage I love the ride around the river circuit here is Brisbane.

Occupation?
Disability Support Person.

Goals?
Improve my fitness and increase my average km/h, get a 100k ride done!

Not being able to get out of my clips at a major set of traffic lights on my first outing on the Marin, fortunately my hubby was able to keep me up-right before I hit the black stuff...we came home and changed my pedals over to Look Keo's and unclipping hasn't been a problem.....so far so good!

Best moment on the bike?
Drinking while riding on my bike AND staying up-right!

Probably here...early days
Lisa

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:06 pm

marinmomma wrote:Location?
Brisbane

Goals?
Improve my fitness and increase my average km/h, get a 100k ride done!
welcome to the forum!

How about the Brisbane to Gold Coast challenge as your first 100k ride?? http://www.bq.org.au/b2gc100/
good ride if you are happy to ride amongst a huge crowd :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome Pax, my riding partner and I are going to sign up for the 60k section of this challenge, if we cycle to the start at Eagleby from her place we'll add on another 10ks to make it a 70k ride...we'll go for the 100k ride next year! Happy to ride in a crowd, I did the MS ride last month and really enjoyed riding with a huge bunch of cyclists!
I'd love to cycle along the busway...it will be an amazing sight to see hundreds riding out on it!
Lisa

annak

Postby annak » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Location?
Hobart

Road

Current bike/s?
Orbea Udana 2010

Riding since?

January 2010

Riding because?
I am a fitness instructor and I thought that there was no point to being so fit if there was nothing to aim for. I was really drawn to road cycling, I don't know why.

Favorite ride?
I like the ride out to Richmond over Grasstree Hill

Occupation?
Full time student/checkout chick/group fitness instructor

Goals?
Compete in a road race by the end of the year

The infinite amounts of times I fell off whilst learning to clip out. Also when I could only clip out with my right foot and also could only take off with my right foot clipped in. There was a fair bit of unco looking feet swapping if ever I managed to stop without falling over.

Best moment on the bike?
I conquered Summerleas Road, unsealed, never ending hill straight from hell and passed a mountain biker on my way to the top

I'd say it was writing this post, so approximately 5 minutes to date.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi annak and welcome

What kind of fitness instructor are you?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

annak

Postby annak » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:23 pm

I've taught Les Mills programs for over 4 years (Pump, Attack, Step, RPM) and have recently started at a freestyle gym too.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:26 pm

annak wrote:I've taught Les Mills programs for over 4 years (Pump, Attack, Step, RPM) and have recently started at a freestyle gym too.
That's a lot of chorey. I'm an RPM instructor.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi annak

If your interested in trying bunch riding I can recommend the Ken Self rides on Monday and Thursday nights.[6pm at the shop] We have two regular women, Suzie and Jo so they will look after you. Plus its an easy going bunch, everyone looks out for everyone and no one gets dropped[left behind] On a couple of the climbs the stronger riders just wait at the top. Its not a testosterone fest....well most of the time :lol:

cheers
Daniel.