Introducing the Women

Apple

Re: Introducing the Women

Postby Apple » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:45 pm

JoanneT wrote:Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been riding for about 12 months..and I'm looking for womens road riding groups in Sydney's Northern Beaches
There are many, try the manly cycle group, I see lots of female riders from your way, just ring around the bike shops.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

silvinator

Postby silvinator » Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Howdy all! My name is Silvie. I'm pretty new but old around here (signed up years ago but never got around to posting/reading much) so thought I should come back and formally introduce myself to all you lovely ladies. Here goes...

Location?
Canberra

Road, Mountain, Track... what's your style?
Road (used to ride crappy, kids - because of my vertically deficient stature - mountain bikes from Big W)

Current bike/s?
Giant OCR3 2006 (in XXS, which means 650c wheels...)

Riding since?
Rode around the block as a kid for fun, was too cool for it in high school, now riding again as an adult since 2006

Riding because?
Mostly for all the green and health reasons already stated, but originally it was because I didn't have a license when I started uni, and I didn't want to rely on my (younger) sister driving me everywhere, plus I mostly always feel nauseated on buses... I have a license now but I still prefer riding in to uni because parking is horrible and I'm a cheapskate uni student so I'm not paying for parking or fuel.

Favorite ride?
Well, I have only been riding to and from uni... But generally, I do prefer riding on the cycle track as much as possible because I once got hit by a car on a main road (Northbourne Avenue for those in Canberra).

Occupation?
PhD student (relevant areas are engineering/gravitational waves/physics/astronomy instrumentation)

Goals?
For this year, that would be to ride more, enter one race (maybe...) and upgrade my bike at the end of this year.
A longer term goal would be to go on a long ride like Canberra to Goulburn or something like that, (i.e. not a commuting ride) and survive.

Most embarrassing moment on the bike?
Well, it was all a blur and I still don't quite know how it happened or remember the exact details, but it was after a few months of using cleats and feeling quite confident about them. One day, I came to an abrupt stop at a set of lights and I think I was trying to uncleat both feet simultaneously (I usually uncleat my left foot only!), and because I also usually slide forward to lean on my usually uncleated left foot, this time, because both feet were off, I slid forward off my seat and landed on my nether regions... There was only one other rider already stopped at the lights and I sure hope he didn't see me wincing in pain...

Best moment on the bike?
The day I timed myself against the bus to uni and realised I beat it and the walk from the bus stop to uni by 15 minutes and my thought was: this cycling thing is awesome, why don't more people do this??? Oh and the day I convinced my partner to start riding with me to uni everyday (lucky he works at the same place I study!) and he has now surpassed me in skill, speed and calf muscle size.

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
Well, I've only just started lurking around here again so we'll see.
--
Silvie
"Janeway" Trek Madone 4.5 WSD 2012

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri May 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Welcome silvie, the engineers hang out in the recumbent folder if you are so inclined :D
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Fri May 11, 2012 4:34 pm

CommuRider wrote:Welcome silvie, the engineers hang out in the recumbent folder if you are so inclined :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

2dogs

Postby 2dogs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi all! My name's Trish - I'm getting into mountain bike riding on the weekend and I'm hoping to meet some more people to go riding with!

Location?
Sydney, Northern Beaches

Road and Mountain - more leaning towards the mountain to get my thrills these days!

Current bike/s?
Yeti 575 (took me ages to save for it but it's seriously worth it) and for the road a giant escape rx w.

Riding since?
I've been riding on and off since I was a kid, but have just recently gotten back into it with gusto!

Riding because?
I want to stay fit, I've got a passion for adrenaline :D and nothing gets your heart racing like smashing through branches at speed on a mountain bike :P
I commute, I ride for fun and I ride on the dirt!

Favorite ride?
For road riding I like the roads up near church point, or maybe riding alongside the water on manly beach.
For Mountain bike riding I'm just starting out really, but I spend a bit of time on the fire trails in kurringai national park and soon I'm going all the way down to the RNP to do some downhill stuff (If you never hear from me again, I died doing what I love, lol)

Occupation?
Barista at a cafe in the city - it pays the bills!

Goals?
I want to get into competition mountain bike racing - the downhill scary stuff!

Definitely crashing into a tree when I was trying to ride alongside/talk to my friend...in front of a pub...

Best moment on the bike?
Going downhill on a firetrail at 60km/hr (no idea really lol no speedo) and almost wiping out - but I didn't. Adrenaline!

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
I'm thinking that I'm going to spend most of my time in MTB.

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi everyone...My name is Sarah. I am relatively new to cycling (since l was a teen anyway, l'm 25 now) and l would really like to find a bike buddy to ride with on weekends, live in Penrith and partner lives in Liverpool :)

Location?
Western Sydney

Road, comfort! I like going fast but not too fast at the moment :lol:

Current bike/s?
I have a Giant Cypress DW X on lay-by, l am itching to get it! Pretty blue and white, l can't wait until l can customise it!

Riding since?
last month! Heh, stopped riding when l was a teen.

Riding because?
A new friend (who l played netball with this year) asked me to go with her mum and some friends on a community bike ride with Western Sydney Cycling Network. I have been on 2 rides total with them, loved each one and can't wait to go again! My partner is into it too now, we both have bikes on lay-by. Fingers crossed we can get them before Christmas

Favorite ride?
Anything from the Cycle Network (so far) Once we get our bikes and bike rack we will be hopefully going all over!

Occupation?
Technician Surveyor

Goals?
Loose weight but get fitter - not be as tired after a long ride like l am at the moment etc..

Something so simple as coming off the bike path and not being able to "glide" back on, the path was significantly higher than the terrain around it.

Best moment on the bike?
Getting back into it and doing a 24km ride straight off the bat, managed to keep up with everyone and wasn't all that tired when l finished, l was about an hour later, sore too!

Anything that takes my interest, l browse as much as l can, but only comment on threads l have an interest in.

kait

Postby kait » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I guess I should do this, I've been here for a few weeks now! My name is Kait, I'm 29 :)

Location?
Inner West, Sydney

Road (or footpath/bike path preferably, drivers scare lol)

Current bike/s?
I have a Giant CRX 4, flat bar road bike.

Riding since?
Not long at all!

Riding because?
Because it's fun! No, really! Mostly for fun and partly for fitness. Dragon boat paddling is my main sport, I use cycling as added training for fitness and leg strength as well just time to get out in the fresh air and clear my head.

Favorite ride?
I've not found a favourite yet, most of my rides have just been exploring my local area (Canada Bay) trying to find somewhere nice to ride.

Occupation?
HR/Admin

Goals?
No specific goals, just to ride as much as I can and get more confident

Luckily I've not had a huge embarrasing moment yet, but I'm sure one will come!

Best moment on the bike?
I just love cruising along the paths around the water in the afternoon, it's quiet (apart from all the people walking their dogs!) and peaceful and nice and cool

I tend to use the "new posts" button and read that, as well as browsing the womens forum a fair bit.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Welcome to the forums ladies, the women's section has been a bit quite of late, it's always great to have more ladies join us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lisa

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Hello. My name is Ammie and I have been a an avid reader of this forum for quite a whle. I live n Sydney and am interested in older bikes and their history.

Not too sure about the precious blokes on this site. :oops:

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Awwwww come on they're precious! :mrgreen: :roll: :wink:

Lors

Postby Lors » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 am

Hello I have been lurking here for quite some time now so thought I'd better introduce myself
My name is Lorraine and I am 48

Road, mountain track....what's your style
road but would like to give mountain a shot but useless with directions so would likely get lost :oops:

current bike
2010 Giant Avail

Riding Since
irregularly through 2010 but more seriously since the beginning of the year.

Riding because
Used to be a runner and had a number of injuries which forced me to give up. Initially sad but now I am addicted to my bike and loving it. did a beginner cycle course have joined the LBS ride and making new friends Love it :D
Fitness too

favourite ride
The group ones they are a challenge and I love a challenge

Occupation
Nurse

Goals
Taking part in a grand Fondo style ride in May

Most embarrassing moment on bike?
Clip stack on the beginners cycling course in front of loads of people attending a spring festival

Best moment on bike
getting up a massive hill without having to walk

Which section do you spend the most in
Mainly women's and general

:lol:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Welcome Lorraine to the forum and to the women's section....

Good to have you join us.

Gee, for a bunch of girls we are really quiet of late :wink:
Lisa

Lors

Postby Lors » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks marinmomma :D

OnTheBike

Postby OnTheBike » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:45 am

Location?
Country Victoria

Road

Current bike/s?
Giant Defy 2013

Riding since?

December 2012

Riding because?
Fitness, Weight Loss

Favorite ride?
None yet

Occupation?
Personal Assistant

Goals?
Where to start! Weight Loss, fitness, endurance rides

Most embarrassing moment on the bike

None yet, except for needing a milk crate to get on it

Best moment on the bike?
Any moment I can get on it

Just press quote to make it easier to follow the questions if your interested in answering them.

eveready2

Postby eveready2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi all
My name is Dale.

Location - Snowy mountains

Style - mostly road. I would like to try mountain at some stage.

Bikes - so when my Dad had a op about 18 months ago I pinched his Rigi road bike. I also inherited my mum's avanti grandma bike. However I have decided to actually spend some money, lol and up grade to a bike of my own.

Riding since - As above

Reasons - a friend talked me into it. She is now my normal riding partner, until she got side swiped by a wombat!

Occupation - I am a full time mum of three and Nursing student.

I don't really have any goals at the moment. I was working towards 100km ride but I have now also been talked into a half marathon run, possibly a triathlon, plus I love my cross country skiing. You know keeps me busy in all my "free time". Other than that, I am a pretty adventurous person, little people permitting. I blame my Dad, last year 3 months after his op, he was like oh well I might go climb a mountain in Europe.

Sturgis

Postby Sturgis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Location?
Healesville, Victoria

Road years ago, then 10 years of running only, now mostly MTB

Current bike/s?
Giant Yukon, Giant OCR3

Riding since?

First time round 1996 - 2002, more recently since December 2012

Riding because?
Sick of running and running-related injuries (that's how I got into riding last time), love MTB

Favorite ride?
Many tracks and trails right in front of our door step.

Occupation?
Horticulturist, Horticultural writer

Goals?
I am a very average runner and have running girl friends who kick my ass running. I want to kick their ass cycling, its always been my stronger discipline. Thank goodness at my advanced age (55) I am not competitive any more ;-)

Most embarrassing moment on the bike

Its coming...

Best moment on the bike?
Its all good, especially when I can finally ride up a hill that I so far had to carry my bike up.

Just press quote to make it easier to follow the questions if your interested in answering them.[/quote]

BronzeLady

Postby BronzeLady » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi gals,

I've been sneaking a few peeks here and there on this forum from time to time...now introducing myself.

Location?
Melbourne

Road and MTB but am about to venture into the singlespeed territory

Current bike/s?
Cannondale T400 (Road Bike)
Fuji Nevada (Mountain Bike)
Currently converting a Ladies Sportsworld bike to singlespeed

Riding since?

Since I started on training wheels when I was 3 or 4 :D but very on and off throughout my life. Got a BMX when I was in primary school which I loved, then studies/uni/partying/marriage came along which put riding on the back burner and my passion kicked in again when I was around 30.

Riding because?
Always loved it. No rhyme or reason...just like heading out and enjoying the day.

Favorite ride?
Locally - Scotchman's Creek trail which takes me all the way into the city and back with no cars to worry about!
Longer rides - Beach rd from Port Melbourne to Mentone and back.

Occupation?
Locations for TV/Film

Goals?
To just get back into more constant riding as only been riding again for a few months since a nasty ankle injury. So fitness levels are awful!

I used to have a Siberian Husky and he needed heaps of exercise so I would ride and hook his lead to my handlebars...all went well for a while until one night he noticed a cat run up a driveway...he veered quickly to the left and I went over the handlebars quickly to the right! :oops: Let's just say we didnt go riding together again.

Best moment on the bike?
7 yrs of age - When I finally rode without training wheels and without anyone holding the back of my seat.
31 yrs of age - Completing Around The Bay in a Day.

Probably atm in the Fixie/Singlespeed section but always will be flitting in and out of other topics.

Anastasia

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm

BronzeLady, Hello, hope you get lots of tips and laughs here. :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Sturgis

Postby Sturgis » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi BronzeLady, welcome!
I had to laugh when I read about you tying your dog to the handlebars. Lucky you are not a bloke, my son did that and the handlebars hit him in the "you-know-where" and he had to have surgery to reattach one of the jewels.

Cheers,

Sturgis

BronzeLady

Postby BronzeLady » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:01 am

Sturgis wrote:Hi BronzeLady, welcome!
I had to laugh when I read about you tying your dog to the handlebars. Lucky you are not a bloke, my son did that and the handlebars hit him in the "you-know-where" and he had to have surgery to reattach one of the jewels.

Cheers,

Sturgis
Hahahaha...hey Sturgis. Oh no, poor boy. Yep that would definitely be painful. I on the other hand only had to worry about some bumps and bruises and embarrasment! Hope your son's jewels are ok now!

Cheers for the welcome guys :D

Weedell

Postby Weedell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Location?
Perth

Road but only started used MB before on the road which wasn't smart hehe

Current bike/s?
2012 Felt F5 full carbon with 105 runing gear - love it

Riding since?
all my live really messing about but only road this year so very new :)

Riding because?
I am hooked :) I also Iam doing 200k for conquer cancer later this year & dont want to die half way through

Favorite ride?
Ill keep you posted

Occupation?
Photographer

Goals?
200k ride in october :) plus wanna loose weight & improve my fitness in the process

keep ya posted

Best moment on the bike?
Ill be when i cross the line in october, it the first time ive ever done anything like it.

womans section hehe getting advice & asking questions

Thanks for reading :)

Dell :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Welcome dell, I clicked on your name and I got to Dell computers. :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought I was going to a blog. :mrgreen:

r0knr0ll

Postby r0knr0ll » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi, I'm Maria! Been a lurker for a few months, but this is my first time posting :)
I'm looking forward to hopefully being involved in more discussion around here.

Location?
Sydney

Road at the moment, but wouldn't mind hitting the trails some time...

Current bike?
Surly Crosscheck 42cm black. Stretched my poor student budget three months ago to get her and loving it. Previously riding a 20kg, 15 year old BSO

Riding since?
Started riding again a few months ago after only being on cruisers and BMXs when I was a teen

Riding because?
Cause it's fun and it's a form of exercise that I actually enjoy

Favorite ride?
The ride to work in the morning. At 6am the roads are all yours (especially since I ride in the opposite direction to traffic).

Occupation?
About to finish up my degree in Environmental Engineering and Commerce. Cheering.

Goals?
Get faster on the bike. My dream is to beat the boyfriend! Haha. Maybe lose another 5kg, but that comes second to beating the bf on the bike ;)

I've had clip-in shoes for a few months but my first clip stack was yesterday. A driver in his car saw the whole thing, and I don't think he knew I was clipped in and just thought I couldn't ride a bike properly.. shame!

Best moment on the bike?
Going fast down hills

Quite a bit in the commuting section. I also like looking at bike pics, so I haunt the Road, Mountain and Retro bike forums in their various 'post your bike' folders.

Cheers guys! Hope to see you around :)

Suck.it.Up

Postby Suck.it.Up » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Location?
northern Beaches, Sydney

Previously MTB but I've just bought a road bike.

Current bike/
2013 Trek Domane 4.5 WSD

Riding since?
I can remember riding a repco classic road bike back in the 80's and thought it was cutting edge tech.....

Riding because?
Running Marathons damage your body. It thought it may be time to retire and get back to cycling.

Favorite ride?
I enjoyed riding my MTB down Mt Stromlo recently. Looking forward to finding my favourite ride on the Northern Beaches

Occupation?
Financial Controller. AKA Money Bitch.

Goals?
To become fitter and faster and become a lot better at hill climbing.

Moment? When there's been so many? Lets just say I'll keep you posted....

Best moment on the bike?
On the MTB its the downhills on the ski hills in Summer. On the road bike I'm hoping there are many.

The Newbie threads!

Hoping to find Northern Beaches Ladies who are willing to kick my arse and motivate me!

Emzy

Postby Emzy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Location?
Melbourne- western burbs

Atm road but looking at getting more on the beaten trails

Current bike/s?
Atm a really old Malvern star mountain bike, but after losing 25kgs have treated myself to a new Merida Crossway 100
Riding since?[/b]
Newbie for a few months now

Riding because?
it was actually cause of a bloke, enjoyed getting out and about.. The biking has stuck the bloke has now been put on the back burner lol

Favorite ride?
So far along st kilda from station pier to Sandringham. Looking at making this a longer ride
Occupation?
Working in finance

Goals?
to be able to climb hill better and going the longer flatter way to avoid them lol

haven't had one yet. But probably just jinxed myself

Best moment on the bike?
have to say all of them so far

Newbie on here so still exploring. No doubt I've quoted this post all wrong lol

Just press quote to make it easier to follow the questions if your interested in answering them.