knicks

Missy24

knicks

Postby Missy24 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Just wondering whose wearing what?

I go between men and women specifc knicks, I haven't fully decided which I prefer, mens or womens, I think I like the mens knicks better on shorter rides and the womens on the longer...

Any brand recomendations? What should we look out for?

bowie

Re: knicks

Postby bowie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:55 pm

there really is a difference?
b is for bicycle :D

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 pm

bowie wrote:there really is a difference?
They say there is but I'm not convinced... hoping for some answers

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:02 pm

I can't tell you about gender differences in knicks as I've never worn female specific knicks.

But....

Assos.

I never bothered with upmarket expensive knicks previously, but I bought their skinsuit for time trials and :shock: :shock: :shock:

Subsequently went out, haemorrhaged some money and now wear nothing but Assos knicks.

I'm sure their ladies stuff is just as awesome 8) I dare you to try them.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

cpical

Postby cpical » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 pm

I have two different knicks. One has a glideless seam, which I am allergic to. The other is from my former Swiss cyclotourist club, no issues.

I want to try Elmo's kit!!! ;-)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 pm

cpical wrote:I have two different knicks. One has a glideless seam, which I am allergic to. The other is from my former Swiss cyclotourist club, no issues.

I want to try Elmo's kit!!! ;-)
Pickle... I'm sure that elmo will trade his panties with you.

I was really wanting to know what WOMEN are wearing, if I wanted to know what the men where wearing I'd ride beach road and ask :roll:

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Can the guys just stay out of these threads please :roll: Hellooooo..Missy asked for FEMALE thoughts...not MALE....

Anywho, I wear both ground effect knicks and Sugoi. I have a pair of large ground effect bib knicks that just don't do it for me..missy, do you want me to send them on over east to ye?

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 pm

The Skins female knicks have a great contoured WSD chamois, which seem to retain their padding and shape after many kms...I also find the SUB (Sarah Ulmer Brand) quite comfortable .

Netti are ok but have a thinner uncontoured chamois that seems to lose its padding ability quicker than the Skins or SUB.

I also have a pair of Santini knicks, which are a unisex variety, and even though they were very expensive, I don't find them very comfy in the chamois department at all. Chamois seems to be too wide and long. I put this down to the chamois not being WSD.

It seems in general that the guys knicks have a much wider/longer chamois than the chicks knicks...

So the Skins female variety are my favourites.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 pm

My wife and our friend swear by Pearl Izumi.

Try teamestrogen.com (a site in the US) to purchase them at a pretty reasonable price.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Max

Postby Max » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:21 am

I've used unisex Cannibal nicks and they're nothing special. However, they were the only ones that fit when I was pushing size 20.

Once I lost a stack of weight, I tried Jaggad Edge nicks (mens) and they're superduper! I once went to buy another pair of them and the shop didn't have the mens variety, so I bought the womens. The legs are much shorter and make me feel a bit too revealed. The chamois is OK, but overall I can't perceive any real difference between the mens and womens. I tend not to wear the womens nicks unless I absolutely have to, purely because of the extra-short leg.

I'd like to try Sugoi, Assos and Pearl Izumi at some point in the future. When the Jaggads die, I'll give them a go.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 am

I use the Cannibal women's (6 panel classic) nicks. Bought 1 pair while at Noosa many (many, many) years ago, and have stuck with Cannibal ever since. The quality and fit seems to have remained the same through the various 'models' since then, so I am still comfortable and happy wearing them. I have even contacted Cannibal to buy direct from them when I was unable to find a stockist in my new local area. Being short, I find the leg length on men's nicks too long for them to be a comfortable option.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 pm

i've probably had all sorts of brands over time, from cheap to expensive - netti, cannibal, biemme, PI, scody some italian brand that i got at Mont, and more. I do like the PI and Mont Italian forgotten name ones but wear my better quality ones on long rides. to work and back it doesn't really matter, but i like to keep the undercarriage safe. :lol:

louella

Postby louella » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm

i own a pair of mens knicks that i dont wear coz it feels like i have a nappy on, the cushion stuff is massive and rubs against my thighs.
also, for some reason not having the cushion stuff i find to be comfortable but maybe coz i only go short distances

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:39 pm

I tend to stick with Pearl Izumi womens knicks now - quest or pro. They have different "weight" chamois' and I use either the green one (thickest) or blue or I can't get green. I also have some Jaggad (Edge I think) ones that I really like but they are a bit short in the leg. They have an external leg gripper which is my preference but really hard to fine. I won't wear them outside until I dump 5kg!! Nalini knicks have always been a favourite but I am heading more towards PI as the chamois is a better shape for me.

I do find that is a problem with many WS knicks - they assume you have great legs that you want to show off so they are short. I prefer a longer leg which Nalini and PI have.

I've never tried mens knicks, and never buy cheap knicks (anymore). If I can get some on special for around the $100 mark then I'm happy. I find they last much longer when you get quality ones and you don't end up with the "see-through butt crack" thing happening :shock:

Looking at the UK sites, they have a huge range of brands while in WA at least we only seem to have a top 10. I don't know anywhere here for instance that sells Adidas or Mavic knicks. c r c have a huge range of brands but I'm always wary buying these things without trying them on.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Whatever you do, do not ... I repeat ... DO NOT ... wear Aldi knicks.

The female ones have large chunky pads that when you put it on, makes you look like a bona fide member of the Polish cycling team.

(PS - if you don't get the reference to the Polish cycling team, just think ... bulging bits)

On the other hand, I'm sure elmo is now rushing to Aldi, so that he can finally qualify for the Polish cycling team.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:44 pm

I didn't know that Aldi had WSD knicks :? but I do second the motion to avoid, they seem to be made from lightly tinted gladwrap.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

emc

Postby emc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I really like the Terry t-short long ones. They are nice and long in the leg and because I am a slightly bigger girl I dont like to show too much thigh!

In fact I like alot of the Terry stuff. My favourite is the scooter capri which I wear when I ride to work but I change from the liner to my undies when I get there and leave the pants on. Lots of deep pockets for all my bits and bobs. If you buy the Terry gear when it is on sale from their site it doesnt work out too badly priced either with the aussie dollar at the moment.

elmo

Postby elmo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 am

Christine Tham wrote:
On the other hand, I'm sure elmo is now rushing to Aldi, so that he can finally qualify for the Polish cycling team.
Can't I just borrow yours?? Pickle's taken my last pair of clean panties...

Jeez... for a womens forum, I'm sure brought up in these parts a lot...

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

crazycanuck wrote:Can the guys just stay out of these threads please :roll: Hellooooo..Missy asked for FEMALE thoughts...not MALE....
I'm reading this section with interest, because I want to find out what motivates women into cycling. I'd like to get my own female friends to ride bicycles every now and then, even if it's only the occasional fun ride rather than an everyday thing.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:10 am

hartleymartin wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:Can the guys just stay out of these threads please :roll: Hellooooo..Missy asked for FEMALE thoughts...not MALE....
I'm reading this section with interest, because I want to find out what motivates women into cycling. I'd like to get my own female friends to ride bicycles every now and then, even if it's only the occasional fun ride rather than an everyday thing.
That's not a problem for you to read the thread, if you have information supplied to you by women then feel free to let us know what there thoughts where, or even better, direct them to the forums so they can have their own say.

If you have questions about women riding which you think we can help you with then feel free to post those questions.

crazycanuck is refering to the fact that a man posted a reply about his own knicks when I was cleary looking for thoughts from women in regards to the knicks that they wear.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am

elmo wrote: Jeez... for a womens forum, I'm sure brought up in these parts a lot...
You mean you are not a woman? Shock horror ... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Serves you right for posting "Hello Ladies ..." before anyone else could get a word in! :P
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

elmo

Postby elmo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
elmo wrote: Jeez... for a womens forum, I'm sure brought up in these parts a lot...
You mean you are not a woman? Shock horror ... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Serves you right for posting "Hello Ladies ..." before anyone else could get a word in! :P
HA! So you nitced that eh CT? Too bad the mods took it down... :roll: :mrgreen:

Back on topic, I've been looking for places that stock (ON HAND) women's specific bibs. All Lou and I could find are mens... I always get the 'we can order it in' line.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:35 pm

elmo wrote: Back on topic, I've been looking for places that stock (ON HAND) women's specific bibs. All Lou and I could find are mens... I always get the 'we can order it in' line.
All my knicks and 1 bib (apart from the Aldi one of course, which I'm reserving for you) were bought from the Netti sales - they seem to hold this twice a year and the prices are pretty good. The recent Avanti online sale was also good.

Problem with the Netti sale is that you need to be early if you want size 10, otherwise most of the stuff is like size 16. Very good quality though, no complaints from me. In the last one they even had nice Scott branded ones in lilac and white - I immediately thought of Missy but remembered she does not like girly colours.

bella26

Postby bella26 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Well I"ve tried out Cannibal which weren't too bad, DHB which were attrocious and now currently some Castelli Bib Knicks which are fabulous. Only problem with the Castelli one's though are that they are very short in the legs and it's not the most flattering look for me. I'm thinking my next pair will not be a women's specific pair as apart from being harder to buy I would prefer more length in the legs. I guess the other big decision is do I go with another pair of bib knicks - which whilst are great in that they don't move around while you ride do just make it tricky to go for a wee break - or just go back to having knicks. Do many girls here ride with bib knicks at all??
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:53 pm

I like bib knicks... however I don't like having to take my jersey of to take a piss.. but still I'd still go bib knicks