How to get the wife into cycling?

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Re: How to get the wife into cycling?

Postby eucryphia » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:33 pm

hanzao wrote:LOL sucks if I do most of that already...

Good on you :D

I love to get my wife outdoors but she doesn't do 'hard and fast', cycling or skiing...
eucryphia

by BNA » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 pm

BNA

Postby bianchi928 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi Hanzao,

Top effort in wanting to ride with your wife. My wife cycles and its awesome. A brilliant sport you can do together.

For whats its worth, here are my thoughts based on our experiences.

1. Great job on getting your wife a good bike instead of a crap bike that she may struggle on. I perhaps might have waited a bit (my wife spent a winter on her Giant hybrid before deciding she was into it enough to buy a roadie) but your here now. Her first road bike was and still is, a full carbon, campy equiped Bianchi. Went for the good bike ($4.5k) at the strat and have not regretted it.

2. Get your wife involved in the decsion making, epsecially with purchases. Dont be a tight arse on the clothing, especially knicks (hey, you sprung for an RS, so you must be doing ok).

3. Speedplays. Thats all I have to say about pedals. You can get in both sides and its heaps easier. Again...Speedplays.

4. Dont make the mistake of buying mens gear or clothing and making it fit. Go the Womans fit if you can.

5. We started by gradually increasing the distance between the "coffee stops". Im down the road in Heathridge and would advise week 1. Drive to burns beach then ride to Dome at Mullaloo. Have a coffee then cruise back. Week 2, same depart but ride to Hillarys, week 3 Voyage, Week 4 Wild Fig, week 5 Soda etc etc. Sometimes drive into leederville, cruise around the river and have a coffee either on the way around or when you get back. Wenow have some weeks we cycle 200+ km a week (others with 40, buts its all good fun)

6. Wash your wifes bike. She will appreciate a nice clean bike to ride :) .

Good luck and cheers. We will keep an eye for you along the coast

Travis
Stand on my dog I cut off your head
bianchi928

Postby macski » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:56 pm

See if there are any women's beginner cycling courses being run in your area - that's what worked for me. My partner noticed that our local association, Pedal Power, was holding a 10 week course called 'New Horizons for Women' for complete beginners or women who hadn't ridden in a long time. It was a great confidence builder because we had skills training for bike handling and then had a Sat morning ride each week that got longer - culminating in a week-end ride of 65 kms each way with an overnight stay. The all women environment was unbelieveably supportive and I made some cycling buddies there. But mostly I love riding with my partner and he seems to enjoy it too even though it's at a slower pace for him.

When he bought a new road bike about 2 years ago he suggested that I get a new bike (got a hybrid - which was a big improvement on the cheap mountain bike I had that I hated - hence why I didn't ride!). Then he encouraged me to get a second hand road bike (in beautiful condition but not too expensive so not much of an outlay if I didn't like it). As it happened, I wasn't ready for a road bike at that stage and it scared me a lot. But once I'd done the course on my hybrid, I bought a flat bar road bike which then built my confidence and I now love my roadie and I'm thinking about getting a carbon frame road bike. So, if your wife doesn't like that Cervelo, you know where to send it!
macski

Postby hanzao » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 pm

bianchi928 wrote:Hi Hanzao,

Top effort in wanting to ride with your wife. My wife cycles and its awesome. A brilliant sport you can do together.

For whats its worth, here are my thoughts based on our experiences.

1. Great job on getting your wife a good bike instead of a crap bike that she may struggle on. I perhaps might have waited a bit (my wife spent a winter on her Giant hybrid before deciding she was into it enough to buy a roadie) but your here now. Her first road bike was and still is, a full carbon, campy equiped Bianchi. Went for the good bike ($4.5k) at the strat and have not regretted it.

2. Get your wife involved in the decsion making, epsecially with purchases. Dont be a tight arse on the clothing, especially knicks (hey, you sprung for an RS, so you must be doing ok).

3. Speedplays. Thats all I have to say about pedals. You can get in both sides and its heaps easier. Again...Speedplays.

4. Dont make the mistake of buying mens gear or clothing and making it fit. Go the Womans fit if you can.

5. We started by gradually increasing the distance between the "coffee stops". Im down the road in Heathridge and would advise week 1. Drive to burns beach then ride to Dome at Mullaloo. Have a coffee then cruise back. Week 2, same depart but ride to Hillarys, week 3 Voyage, Week 4 Wild Fig, week 5 Soda etc etc. Sometimes drive into leederville, cruise around the river and have a coffee either on the way around or when you get back. Wenow have some weeks we cycle 200+ km a week (others with 40, buts its all good fun)

6. Wash your wifes bike. She will appreciate a nice clean bike to ride :) .

Good luck and cheers. We will keep an eye for you along the coast

Travis

Thanks Travis, I told my wife about #5 and she liked the idea..

Hogs breath lunch.. mmm
The following is a private conversation to the wife.

me: "babe your actually not fat, you eat healthy foods and quite slim because foods is the first thing people do to cut down their weight and your not over weight" (started mentioning her body parts and saying they are nicely tone but not defined)
she smiles and we start looking at other parts, she goes "yeah but I am not fit"
me: "someone on the forums mention to get your wife into cycling you should do short distances, morning breakfast coffee runs going at slow speeds" mentioned the route #5
her reaction: "oh OK sounds easy"
me: "yah look at me, i think the bike riding thing has done good for me and I am happy to do those rides with you, it will be nice to go along the coast"
her: "you think i should take Valencia bike and go for a ride?" (Valencia her youngest sister who is in japan)
me: "hmm not yet, the weather don't look that great, let me think about it and plan this group ride and as it gets closer we will discuss this in depth"
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook
hanzao

Postby oldchris » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:34 pm

We did exactly the same,

We live in Ashby - Wuld meet her are burns beach then ride to Voyage and back. Then built it up to riding from home along the coast even done freo and back,Two rocks loop

Now racing with WCmasters and Track racing. Last year rode the french alpes.

I agree get WSD bikes and gear -

Womems bikes firt so much better than Mens.

My Wfe as an Sworks ruby and she loves it. fits like a glove.
oldchris

Postby hanzao » Fri May 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Update:

we got the hot looking bike built.
We had to put shimano padels on for now until the speedplays comes in
put the bike on the trainer
told her to sit on the bike see if she was comfortable - yes check
show her to clip and un-clip - check
then after a few minutes her ass started to hurt - need new sadels female ones
she asked how come it was so hard to get on the bike - explained the trainer raised the height.
Got her to try a few times getting on the bike and balancing going forward to show her that the bike is the right height (off the trainer)

she really wants to ride but still is afraid of falling over

Last night
borrowed her younger sisters bike, just to test if she remembers how to ride.
She was a bit wobbly. and will try again when we get some free time.
This Sunday back to the LBS and try out female saddles.
TimeTrials Felt B12
hanzao

Postby Redbull » Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Don't forget to put a phonebook under the front wheel if the trainer didn't come with a stand.

Her arse is always going to hurt when she starts. A womens specific saddle is generally concerned with another part of her anatomy.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby Pinarello » Sun May 16, 2010 8:18 pm

ClownBoy wrote:Start flirting with female cyclists.

Talk about how they have cute buts in their knicks.

Haha.

My partner got me into 'riding'. It was for a reason, not for a sport (commuting). I love it and I love my bike. I don't think I'll ever join it for a sport because I find a lot male cyclists rude on the Brisbane bikeways, disobey all the road rules, and are arrogant shitheads. Why would I ever want to join those ranks? Some people spoil it for the whole lot - Brisbane has quite a share of very aggressive male riders - it can turn some women off I guess.
I'm a girl.
Pinarello

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm

You should really think about getting your wife some professional riding lessons from an accredited coach - something similar to this: http://mbcoaching.com.au/page/beginners ... urses.html

Even doing group windtrainer classes will help, and its something you can do together.

If you dont get her up to speed on the RS soon she will lose interest, or want a bike like the one she is riding due to being unable to ride the RS (people did warn you against getting the RS for her). I speak from experience here, the RS will become an ornament if she doesnt get over her fear/lack of skill of riding it - winter is the perfect excuse for her to get out of riding.

But if she was never that keen on riding you will never get her to ride it......................
Drunkmonkey

Postby boyracer » Tue May 18, 2010 4:26 pm

meh. Most wives couldn't give a toss whether they have carbon record or 15 year old shimano 6 speed... as long as it works well. When asked what she really wanted in a bike all my partner wanted was a basket! result, after years of purchasing and trying to enthuse her with roadies,MTB,restos she now has a dyno glide w/ basket. we often go riding now. up to 20 km return now w/ dad carrying junior in front mount seat. And i get to play race at my own pace when i ride alone.win win.
boyracer

Postby Pax » Tue May 18, 2010 9:05 pm

boyracer wrote:meh. Most wives couldn't give a toss whether they have carbon record or 15 year old shimano 6 speed... as long as it works well. When asked what she really wanted in a bike all my partner wanted was a basket! result, after years of purchasing and trying to enthuse her with roadies,MTB,restos she now has a dyno glide w/ basket. we often go riding now. up to 20 km return now w/ dad carrying junior in front mount seat. And i get to play race at my own pace when i ride alone.win win.

Different approaches for different people. I'm going to try to resurect Mrs Pax's 27year old 5 speed Malvern Star step through viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28035
Pax

Postby fleecedog » Tue May 18, 2010 10:09 pm

boyracer wrote:meh. Most wives couldn't give a toss whether they have carbon record or 15 year old shimano 6 speed... as long as it works well. When asked what she really wanted in a bike all my partner wanted was a basket! result, after years of purchasing and trying to enthuse her with roadies,MTB,restos she now has a dyno glide w/ basket. we often go riding now. up to 20 km return now w/ dad carrying junior in front mount seat. And i get to play race at my own pace when i ride alone.win win.

"Most wives!" I certainly don't fall into the wife category but I have traded my alloy frame and Shimano 105 for a sleek carbon beauty and carbon Record 6 months after my BF got me hooked. He almost wishes he didn't because I have literally become a bike fanatic and now we place our Wiggle orders together, browse Ebay for bike gear, own matching kits, cuddle up and watch the Giro/Cali together while eagerly waiting for TDF with plans to go to the TDU.

It's all a question about getting hooked really. On the other hand, I did do a lot of riding after getting the roadie and made pretty decent progress and rode to lots of places - that's what kept me going and got me hooked. Now when we go riding, he would climb up the big hill, come back down, climb up again with me while I'm slooowwwly make my way up the hill, but it's still so much fun.
fleecedog

Postby boyracer » Tue May 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Go Grrl. Hey if you're ever out and see a tall red head riding a lemon yellow dyno glide with a basket be sure and tell her what fun you are having on your sleek racing machine...
boyracer

Postby hanzao » Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 am

hi everyone, my wife is a happy rider :)

she has built up a lot of confidence on her sisters hybrid bike and been sitting on the RS (on the trainer) getting use to the new seat. Will be doing some longer rides on the hybrid and probably aiming in 2-3 weeks to be on the RS. Her circle of friends have bikes and are eager to do a leisure coffee ride.
TimeTrials Felt B12
hanzao

Postby hanzao » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:42 pm

well good news, last week was her first time on the new bike and we rode 10kms, she average 18kph pedalling easy and she loved it. It was different from a layed back "MTB" into a aggresive road position. She loved every bit of the RS, how light it was, response, fast, easy pedaling and rolling. She said she won't go back to her sisters MTB after riding the RS.

She has a massive happy grin on her face when asked about her bike among her friends. But what she liked most was, when we were riding together I told her I prefer going riding with her over my club mates and I loved every minute of it.

The new female saddle helped alot, the guys at the LBS made the shifters closer to the bars because of her small fingers. We put a bell on her bike because shes still afraid of running into people.

We joked about getting stand on her bike at the LBS and the staff said they will take her bike away for good if she did.
TimeTrials Felt B12
hanzao

Postby Missy24 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Nice to see its working hanzao and your enjoying it together
Missy24

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:06 am

hanzao wrote:...I told her I prefer going riding with her over my club mates and I loved every minute of it....

That'll come back and bite you one day. ;)

Good to hear she enjoyed it. My g/f likes a 10km/h dawdle along the esplanade, no hills no wind, no rain. We take the bikes in the car ride for a couple of hours, have a coffee, put her bike back inthe car and then I ride back home alone. It works well for us, we get out together and I get to play boyracer on the way home. One day i'll get back before she does :twisted:
Scott CR1, Kuota Kharma
you cannot be sirrus

Postby arkle » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Just make the cycling destination a shopping mall. Women love shopping.

arkle
arkle

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Missy24 wrote:Get her a pair of knicks... even if she never uses them again, she'll feel better on the saddle.

Missy,

Here's the thing, we all do our best but just can't understand our wifes on these things !!! Disclosure - I'm an electrical engineer / IT consultant so clearly I'm socially handicapped in this regard. However, pinning down the workings of a female mind is just not easy, and never predictable, even after 12 years of marriage.

Examples:

1) Comfort is only 1 factor, a logical and obvious one to some, particularly dumb husbands, but not necessarily the wives. Now I think my wife is hot, period (not just gloating - others do too) but for a 41 yr old mother of 5 she is smokin hot. She still has a VERY fit and athletic looking shape with a small waist. she's 5'4", probably 52k but nearly all weight she has is in shapely muscle. Years ago when she was running lots, we were at a coffee shop and Melinda Gainsford Taylor was checking out her calves. How many other 41 yr old, mothers of 5 (including a set of twins) wear size 6 skirts ? Get the idea, and yet I show her this thread, laughing about Clownboy's post ie "start flirting with other women cyclists, talk about their butts etc" and she queries me about the thread and I show her your post about making the lady comfortable by getting her some nicks. My wife cracks up and says you clearly don't understand women (who really does?). When I point out that I'm pretty sure Missy24 is actually a woman, she says well obviously she's 24 and smokin hot because no older women would feel comfortable in lycra shorts that are designed to pad the bum out even more!!! (My wife thinks she has a big bum - which she doesn't of course, even in that dress :) ). First point here is that I have no idea how old you are, or what you look like. Hell, I'm only 90% sure you're even a woman, but all that is actually irrelevant as my wife thinks that she is too old to wear lycra and thats it. 12 years ago she would go running in lycra mini shorts but not now that she's had 5 kids and put on a whole 2kgs, no chance, totally unacceptable !!! For me, I certainly don't find lycra flattering on me but I really don't care. Its simply more comfortable when you're riding 200kms + per week.

2) the other thing I just don't understand is her attitude towards speed / risk etc.
When she rides a bike its like a granny rides it and she says shes doesn't like the speed etc. When we were first dating (actually our first ever weekend away) I took her horse riding and we went to this place to hire the horses for a day. The guy says I'll get these horses for you and my wife says, "I want that one" which she's been eyeing off while I did the paperwork. The guy says no way that ones too big, too fast, ex race horse, bites etc. so she tells this guy her story about childhood horse riding, pony club etc and so after much negotiation he eventually says ok but I want to see you ride him here in the paddock first. So she gets on and instantly the thing rears and spins 180. The guy craps himself and so did I to be honest. But she pulls it into line as it kicked and reared a couple more times and she let it run down to the bottom of the paddock where she spent 2 or 3 minutes sorting the horse out and by the time she came back to the shed the horse was doing the equestrian gate (with chin tucked in) and she got him to jump the final fence rather than go through the gate, and pulled up lone ranger style !!! The riding school guy and I were both gobsmacked. He went and got another horse and spent the afternoon trying to race her and outdo her while the rest of us tagged along, not doing the jumps etc. The point here is that she was prepared to take big risks on a huge and fiesty horse, and loved the thrill and challenge, but finds a push bike scarey !!! From a man's point of view, how can that attitude and confidence not translate to other endeavours ???
Rhubarb

Postby Missy24 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Get her a pair of knicks... even if she never uses them again, she'll feel better on the saddle.

Missy,

Here's the thing, we all do our best but just can't understand our wifes on these things !!! Disclosure - I'm an electrical engineer / IT consultant so clearly I'm socially handicapped in this regard. However, pinning down the workings of a female mind is just not easy, and never predictable, even after 12 years of marriage.

Examples:

1) Comfort is only 1 factor, a logical and obvious one to some, particularly dumb husbands, but not necessarily the wives. Now I think my wife is hot, period (not just gloating - others do too) but for a 41 yr old mother of 5 she is smokin hot. She still has a VERY fit and athletic looking shape with a small waist. she's 5'4", probably 52k but nearly all weight she has is in shapely muscle. Years ago when she was running lots, we were at a coffee shop and Melinda Gainsford Taylor was checking out her calves. How many other 41 yr old, mothers of 5 (including a set of twins) wear size 6 skirts ? Get the idea, and yet I show her this thread, laughing about Clownboy's post ie "start flirting with other women cyclists, talk about their butts etc" and she queries me about the thread and I show her your post about making the lady comfortable by getting her some nicks. My wife cracks up and says you clearly don't understand women (who really does?). When I point out that I'm pretty sure Missy24 is actually a woman, she says well obviously she's 24 and smokin hot because no older women would feel comfortable in lycra shorts that are designed to pad the bum out even more!!! (My wife thinks she has a big bum - which she doesn't of course, even in that dress :) ). First point here is that I have no idea how old you are, or what you look like. Hell, I'm only 90% sure you're even a woman, but all that is actually irrelevant as my wife thinks that she is too old to wear lycra and thats it. 12 years ago she would go running in lycra mini shorts but not now that she's had 5 kids and put on a whole 2kgs, no chance, totally unacceptable !!! For me, I certainly don't find lycra flattering on me but I really don't care. Its simply more comfortable when you're riding 200kms + per week.

Your wife misinterpreted what I wrote, Lycra shorts with a chemise make a saddle more comfortable, which means a women is more likely to keep riding especially if she's on a roadie and/or doing long distance, I made no comment about a women feeling better about herself. I can't fix that.

As for me, FYI I'm a size 14, I handle my bike well and I'm confident, I'm 25 years old and I've climbed mountains, I've climed Hotham, Donna, Lake Mountain, Mt Tooblewong, King Lake, Dandenongs, numerous rides of up to 220km, I'm training for triathlon and i've set a half ironman date.

I don't wear lycra because of how it looks, it suits a purpose, same with bathing suits, same with running clothes or fancy dressers, its got nothing to do with the way it looks or the way I look its that it suits the purpose at the time, I would think that the activity itself would be much more important.

There are better things to do with your time than worry about what other people think.

Missy
Missy24

Postby arkle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:52 am

Rhubarb wrote:

Missy,

Examples:

2) the other thing I just don't understand is her attitude towards speed / risk etc.
When she rides a bike its like a granny rides it and she says shes doesn't like the speed etc. When we were first dating (actually our first ever weekend away) I took her horse riding and we went to this place to hire the horses for a day. The guy says I'll get these horses for you and my wife says, "I want that one" which she's been eyeing off while I did the paperwork. The guy says no way that ones too big, too fast, ex race horse, bites etc. so she tells this guy her story about childhood horse riding, pony club etc and so after much negotiation he eventually says ok but I want to see you ride him here in the paddock first. So she gets on and instantly the thing rears and spins 180. The guy craps himself and so did I to be honest. But she pulls it into line as it kicked and reared a couple more times and she let it run down to the bottom of the paddock where she spent 2 or 3 minutes sorting the horse out and by the time she came back to the shed the horse was doing the equestrian gate (with chin tucked in) and she got him to jump the final fence rather than go through the gate, and pulled up lone ranger style !!! The riding school guy and I were both gobsmacked. He went and got another horse and spent the afternoon trying to race her and outdo her while the rest of us tagged along, not doing the jumps etc. The point here is that she was prepared to take big risks on a huge and fiesty horse, and loved the thrill and challenge, but finds a push bike scarey !!! From a man's point of view, how can that attitude and confidence not translate to other endeavours ???

But she knew how to ride the horse. Would you have felt safe getting on that big feisty horse and letting it kick, rear up and sprint around jumping over fences with you on its back?

arkle
arkle

Postby qinv » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:28 am

Rhubarb wrote:

Missy,

well, maybe she just doesn't like riding a bike. you can't really make someone to like something if she just doesn't. accept it and try to find other sports that you both enjoy!
qinv

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:23 pm

hanzao wrote:OK ladies what made you get into cycling, because I would like to get my wife into cycling. I am thinking of letting her ride my Oppy first and later on by her a Cervelo RS.

Get a Tandem so you don't have to slow down while she's learning, probably a lot safer for her as well presuming you're an experienced rider.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby geekgirl » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:28 pm

I don't wear lycra because of how it looks, it suits a purpose, same with bathing suits, same with running clothes or fancy dressers, its got nothing to do with the way it looks or the way I look its that it suits the purpose at the time, I would think that the activity itself would be much more important.

There are better things to do with your time than worry about what other people think.

Missy[/quote]

I agree with Missy. I'm female and older, and I won't ride without knicks. Can't think of anything worse! I've been wearing them for decades now. Why don't you suggest your wife try the boardshort range with the knicks included? Online clothing stores like Team Estrogen in the US have them along with other things like skirts with built in knicks. That way your wife won't feel as if everything is on display, even if there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I like the clothes they have, there's some real girly stuff there that your wife can have fun browsing through.

I also can't ride without my clipless pedals. They are the safest thing to cycle with. I've had a few accidents over the years and I feel safe every time. Feet simply 'pop' out. Suggest your wife looks at the touring models rather than the racing ones so she can walk to the cafe afterwards.

Geekgirl
geekgirl

Postby hanzao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:45 am

just if people are wondering.. yes my wife still cycling but on Saturdays (with her friends) and always asking when am i free next to take her out for a ride.

Long slow rides along the beach side with clear blue skies and cyrstal clear blue water and the sound of waves breaking.. sounds like a good ride :)

Oh yeah we recent went to europe and she rode in Paris & Amsterdam bike tours and she loved it.
TimeTrials Felt B12
hanzao

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Cycling