Wife's bicycle project (stay tune)

hanzao

Wife's bicycle project (stay tune)

Postby hanzao » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 am

I don't know where to post this but, I think this place sounds like the right place. Will be updating with pictures Of parts and so...let the fun begin....
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

hanzao

Re: Wife's bicycle project (stay tune)

Postby hanzao » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 am

Oppy currently upside down, waiting for me to put on the replaced tire. Its been that way since Monday.

Shimano RS20 Wheels from the S2

Shimano 2010 Ultegra Group set will be transferred over to the new bike.

Brakes & Shifters as well.
TimeTrials Felt B12

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 am

Lucky wife
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:17 pm

casset has to come off that's going as well

the frame just arrived today

looking on wiggle about speedplay pedals, 3T handle bars, fiz saddles wing. Will ask the lbs if they can give me a good price. Getting laser n0 helmet, skins bib nicks (up to her)

just dropped off the parts to the LBS.
TimeTrials Felt B12

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Thank you hanzao, but somehow I feel that this would be more appreciated with the other guys, they would love to build and screw things together, change wheel sets and do boy stuff.
If you want to talk about lipstick, eye shadow or the curse you are welcome. Maybe even if your wife was building this bike and asked us about handle bar colours we would love to offer our opinion.
BTW the bike looks great. :wink:
Just show us the end product.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:05 pm

I was going to disagree and say I'd like to watch the build, but you are getting the LBS to do it so now I'm not so interested either.

I might start another thread for female grease monkeys LOL

Steph

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm

s-s-a wrote:I was going to disagree and say I'd like to watch the build, but you are getting the LBS to do it so now I'm not so interested either.

Steph
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shame you are not in Sydney, we would have fun riding together

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 pm

we would have fun riding together
Except for my gross manners when it comes to all things snot :lol:

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:34 pm

s-s-a wrote:I was going to disagree and say I'd like to watch the build, but you are getting the LBS to do it so now I'm not so interested either.

I might start another thread for female grease monkeys LOL

Steph

Sorry I am not too flash as being a grease monkey, i would be the nerd with glasses who would study the books and explain how things works. So once the bike is put together I would like to hand in my assignment named: How to fit the right bike.

Something i learn today at LBS, the hand bars width is meant to be the same width as your inner shoulder to shoulder.
Also my wife doesn't know I am getting her a bike, so if I was to work on this mysterious bike in the garage I think it ruins the surprise, it would take me at least a week just to take the Oppy apart and re-assembling it onto the new frame.

From reading the forums, most girls/women complain or focus on is the saddle, nicks, clips & shoes (i think i read somewhere about shoes, come on you girls are picky about your shoes) so those things she will be deciding, but from a post somewhere here someone mention speedplay peddles are the best for clips and they are correct, so that's sorted.
TimeTrials Felt B12

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:53 am

hanzao wrote:
From reading the forums, most girls/women complain or focus on is the saddle, nicks, clips & shoes (i think i read somewhere about shoes, come on you girls are picky about your shoes) so those things she will be deciding, but from a post somewhere here someone mention speedplay peddles are the best for clips and they are correct, so that's sorted.
Yes! I love my shoes! I love my cycling shoes. Oh how I love my shiny, pearlescent, beautiful carbon soled Sidis. Nothing beats Sidis. They're the best, sexiest, nicest shoes out there. Hmmmm! But yes, let her pick out the shoes but good quality, stiff and hard soles are the way to go. No point in dishing out cash on anything less I reckon.

Keep us updated on the bike. She's a lucky woman!

bella26

Postby bella26 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:20 am

Can I put first dibs on the bike if your wife doesn't become overwhelmed with the cycling bug!!! :lol:
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:22 pm

I have hit into a speed bump one that is slowly annoying me to death.

Issue: The 48cm frame needs a 650c wheels, 650c wheel are hard to find. It cost around another $200 US + $121US Freight. The LBS can't get any 650c wheels and they suggested I should get those wheels if I need the wheels.

My Pork fries Beef with this issue, the extra $321US could of gotten me a complete bike from the same people. So now I am trying to ask if I can pay the difference for the parts or if I can buy a complete bike and return the frame.

Other issues:

Will RS frame be "comfortable" for the wife? - Answer: get her on a RS bike at a BS that sells Cervelo
Is the 48cm frame the right size for the wife? - Answer: get her on a RS bike at a BS that sells Cervelo (i have looked on Cervel website and the size fits her)

So I am going to bite the bullet and tell the wife about the surprise bike and get her to test a bike out at a BS that sells Cervelos. If she doesn't like it well there will be a 48cm Cervelo Frame going to be posted on here or ebay.
TimeTrials Felt B12

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:20 am

I don't understand why the wheels don't fit? Are the ones shown in your first photos from another bike or something?

Re the bike fit, IF you can get measurements from your wife then you should be able to work out if the frame will fit her using an online calculator like the one at www.wrenchscience.com. I hope your wife is quite short, that bike would be way too small for me!

Steph

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 am

Ok yes I checked the web, and the 48cm Cervelo needs 650C wheels. Whoops!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:55 am

Man you could have bought my trek it had 650 wheels. What a shame, you must be pissed off.
Send the frame back and get a frame that needs 700c wheels.
It is really hard to get good quality 650c wheels. I know. Velocity makes them but they are not the best quality. I have apair on my other bike..

Ps,
I was just thinking, why don't you buy 650c wheels on ebay.

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:45 am

Apple wrote:Man you could have bought my trek it had 650 wheels. What a shame, you must be pissed off.
Send the frame back and get a frame that needs 700c wheels.
It is really hard to get good quality 650c wheels. I know. Velocity makes them but they are not the best quality. I have apair on my other bike..

Ps,
I was just thinking, why don't you buy 650c wheels on ebay.
Hey Apple - are 650c wheels that terrible? I was going (still am looking) to purchase a Cervelo 48cm since I'm sure that's the only frame that will fit me, and everyone has cried out at the fact that I'll need 650c wheels and sideloading bidons!

In fact, I went up a frame size for my two bikes to avoid 650c wheels on the advice of everyone else. I'm 160cm and I ride a 49cm but technically need a 46-48cm - but to downgrade a frame size will mean 650c wheels. Never mind though, I'm quite happy with my 49cm frames but I'm just interested in finding out a bit more should a nice Cervelo pop up on Ebay.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 am

fleecedog wrote:[
Hey Apple - are 650c wheels that terrible?
No not at all they are great, but unfortunately a good set of wheels are hard to find. Tubes need to be ordered in advance and you always have to carry 2 as the 700c tube doesn’t fit. Also the tyres.
The bike is fantastic to handle and turn, there is no toe overlap, which is why it is easy to manoeuvre and accelerate. I never had trouble keeping up in groups as a matter of fact I was fast on the flats.
The problem is finding tubes and wheels. Maybe one day you should try out my bike. I am 161cm.

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Apple wrote:
fleecedog wrote:[
Hey Apple - are 650c wheels that terrible?
No not at all they are great, but unfortunately a good set of wheels are hard to find. Tubes need to be ordered in advance and you always have to carry 2 as the 700c tube doesn’t fit. Also the tyres.
The bike is fantastic to handle and turn, there is no toe overlap, which is why it is easy to manoeuvre and accelerate. I never had trouble keeping up in groups as a matter of fact I was fast on the flats.
The problem is finding tubes and wheels. Maybe one day you should try out my bike. I am 161cm.
What bike/wheels/frame size do you ride Apple? I don't know if my bike is just a wee bit too big. When I stand over my top tube without shoes I don't have any clearance in between. When I'm in my riding shoes I have around 0.5cm to maybe 1 cm of top tube clearance. But I guess I haven't been riding long enough to really know about whether it is too big, but that's okay, I love riding it and that's all that matters (for now!)

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 pm

sent you a pm as it is to long to explain

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:31 pm

When I stand over my top tube without shoes I don't have any clearance in between. When I'm in my riding shoes I have around 0.5cm to maybe 1 cm of top tube clearance. But I guess I haven't been riding long enough to really know about whether it is too big
This is not so much of an issue on road bikes, IMO. Definitely is important for mtbs. The right size bike is really about whether you fit while riding it. And the only real way to find out is to get your leg over something. When I was buying my racing mtb, the LBS I was dealing with was a VERY experienced bike fitter who measured me up properly then ordered in a 16" bike which once I got on it was waaaaay too small. I ended up with a 17" bike but had to get a brand that they didn't normally stock with an Al frame instead of the 853 Reynolds steel which I'd wanted.

Steph

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Everyone

I tried to negotiate with Competitive Cyclist on the wheels and the extra cost equaled to a complete set. So I asked if I can pay the difference on the complete set and they said can try to give it to me close to the price difference worked out $900.00 more + Freight + TAX so that was not viable. So I asked if I can buy a whole complete bike and they can take the frame out and not send it to me and discount the frame. NO can do so

I am sending them back a frame and have ordered a complete bike from them. I got the wife to test out a 48cm Cervelo S1 and it was the right size for her. I will talk to the LBS and ask if I can order in bulk (5-10) spare tires & tubes. The wife is warming up to getting a bike as I put forward to some very positive points of riding & I got it half price because I asked for a price from a BS that sells the Cervelo and good thing was she to hear the price so I was not fibbing on how much I saved. Girls love a good deal :)

Overall it has cost me around $400 extra in TAX + Freightx2 (wasted)
TimeTrials Felt B12

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Good news, I always ordered my tubes in bulk, I bought the store supply, and it lasted me for about 2 years. Also always had tyres ready for changing..
Your wife will love the bike

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:17 pm

A bit late but...
Wondering whether you could have fitted 559x17 rims which are only 12mm smaller diameter than 650C so maybe the brakes would have enough reach. This is the ever popular 26" size and should take a 25mm road tyre. Not sure if they are any easier to get here than 650C but worth a try.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Hey hanzao, make sure you post the new bike up for me to see.

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:00 am

Will do, checked with CC last night and the guys said coming this week maybe, but the LBS has been busy so it will be built next week and let shopping begin will take pictures her goodies
TimeTrials Felt B12