Missy's Tri Training - Not Noosa - Olympic Distance

Missy24

Missy's Tri Training - Not Noosa - Olympic Distance

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:46 pm

So Noosa is at the end of October, I already have my plane tickets and I would have bought my entry but entry isn't open yet.

I thought I would also keep a record of my training in the women's section.

First of all... why Triathlon? Because I actually like putting myself through pain, I enjoy it, its as simple as that and when I practise I also like running, swimming... meh, I can take it or leave it. Oh and I want to be 70kg, that's my aim, and cross training is the best way to do it along with good diet.

The Schedule... SUCKS!

Monday:
Stairs at Lunch
40km ride after work
4km run

Tuesday:
Morning Swim 1km
Lunch easy run 3km
40km ride after work

Wednesday
Lunch easy run 3km or not
Dinner with mum... no training tonight.

Thursday
Morning Swim 1km
40km ride after work
6km run after ride

Friday:
Swim 1.5km evening

Saturday:
10-12km run

Sunday:
1.5km swim
Blvd intervals 4 laps
sleeeeeep

Yeah so that's it, I'll drop by every few days I guess and say how I'm feeling.

Diet wise I've basically cut out all the sugar, I allow myself to have coffee on the weekends and that's it, for a coffee lover thats really hard.

Justin, the ultra marathon runner on here basically told me that I had too loose weight, which is right, I'm at least 10-15kg overweight, closer to 10kg these days. The weight isn't about looking better, its about being better and proving to myself that I am as good as I say that I am.

I've cut calories and also improved the food that I'm eating, I'm eating what I like to call clean food, basically its natural and there's little or no preservatives, I'm eating a lot of fish and vegetables, it doesn't require a lot of cooking and its quick and easy.

I'm not a very disciplined person and tend to go through stages where I binge eat, the moments are getting further and futher apart and each time I binge now I actually find that I'm consuming less of that bad stuff. But to deal with the lack of discipline, I basically threw out all the food in my cupboard and went back to basics, there's a couple of things like wholemeal pasta, brown rice, oats, vegimite, honey and a can a peas (different), there's a bottle of juice in the fridge and thats it.

I know this all sounds excessive but for me its all or nothing, I'm excited about Noosa, I'm gonna kick my butt and I'm gonna look awesome doing it!

This is to keep me accountable!

toolonglegs

Re: Missy's Training - Noosa Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Hope you have some recovery time in there :D ...looks pretty full on.I expect you will know in a week or two.
Why does a coffee lover cut out coffee?...is has no calories and helps with training...although all my cafienne comes in a pill.
Have fun!.
PS...are males aloud to post here?...if not delete me.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Yes your allowed to post here.

Wednesday will end up being a full day off, cause I've tried running everyday at lunch and you do need a break, I'm going off the plan that I came up with a few weeks ago, a few people have helped me with it, its been a joint project across a few states of Australia...

Friday and Saturday are both rather low... and on Saturday I'm actually running to the coffee shop for breakfast and I think Tuesday night will drop of in two weeks, I've got night classes to attend, this schedule is a good base, but it will change, I've got to put as much swims and runs in as I can, the bike is easy, but I love the bike so have to put it in a fair bit.

Specifically swims... so I don't sink :roll: ok no as much as I can complain I can actually swim, I'm just not very fast, but word from some of the women is that its all about technique, so I need to work hard on that.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Missy-a suggestion in regards to swim form- Is there a pilates studio near you? If you can get some individual sessions to focus on core strength, go go go!!!

My pilates studio knows I'm a cyclist/swimmer & shows me a gazillion things to do & apply...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:08 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Missy-a suggestion in regards to swim form- Is there a pilates studio near you? If you can get some individual sessions to focus on core strength, go go go!!!

My pilates studio knows I'm a cyclist/swimmer & shows me a gazillion things to do & apply...
Thanks, I've done some pilates in the past, pretty sure there's one on Southbank

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Missy, find out if wetsuits are allowed (they might not be considering it's Noosa) but you'll find lots of people wear them for the swim leg. If they are see if you can borrow one that fits. AND is suitable for swimming in.
2010 BMC SLC01

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Its too hot for Noosa, its also a protected swim, so theirs no point, and its waste time in the transition... I want a time below 3 hours.

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Missy24 wrote:Its too hot for Noosa, its also a protected swim, so theirs no point, and its waste time in the transition... I want a time below 3 hours.
I figured it'd be too hot for Noosa. They only allow them under certain circumstances. As for transition times, well they're usually almost off before you get to your bike anyhow, at least they were by those wearing them in the tri I did in January and they tend to make the swim leg faster.

BTW what is the distance for the Noosa tri?
2010 BMC SLC01

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:34 pm

Olympic

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Missy24 wrote:Olympic
Course Swim - 1500m.
Cycle - 40km.
Run - 10km.

That looks very doable. Except the swim leg. I don't swim too well...
2010 BMC SLC01

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Wow, good luck, I'm very impressed, will stay tuned.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:39 pm

I know very little about triathlon training because IMO running sucks big time.

But what sticks out for me is that even tho you are currently doing swim and bike and run on one day, I can't see any one session that is much longer than 1.5-2h?

To achieve a 3h event, your body will need endurance. As an endurance rider in bike events, I always start putting in long hours as early as I can in a training program, because endurance base takes longer to build up than intensity training. For triathlon I am not sure what the best way to structure this might be though.

Good luck!

Steph

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:47 pm

s-s-a wrote:I know very little about triathlon training because IMO running sucks big time.

But what sticks out for me is that even tho you are currently doing swim and bike and run on one day, I can't see any one session that is much longer than 1.5-2h?

To achieve a 3h event, your body will need endurance. As an endurance rider in bike events, I always start putting in long hours as early as I can in a training program, because endurance base takes longer to build up than intensity training. For triathlon I am not sure what the best way to structure this might be though.

Good luck!

Steph
My 10km comes in under 1 hour... or at least it did today.

Primarily for me its weight loss thats important over the next 6-8 weeks, as that will improve my overall speed in all aspects.

Endurance isn't exactly a problem for me, technique in the swim is, but I need to push myself into that gradually cause its not my fav thing, I'd much rather be running or cycling. Unless you've been sitting on your butt you don't need to rebuild endurance over and over again, as long as you continue that exercise consistently it will always be there. You should check out some of the mountains I've climbed :wink: and some of the rides I've done and planned, no point talking about running here, and I'm new to running since the begining of this year, heaven forbid a cyclist a run :roll:

Training sessions are short cause weight loss is more effective for me if the sessions are short and sharp.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:16 pm

toolonglegs wrote:PS...are males aloud to post here?...if not delete me.
One's like you are :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Missy, I do worry that there is not much recovery time in your training.
From my years in triathlons (this is only a guide to what my coach gave me)
Monday run 4 -6 km
Tuesday Swim squad, cycle 30 - 40 km hills
Wednesday run long up to 10km fartlek
Thursday swim squad cycle flats cadence at 90rpm 30km
Friday Rest
Saturday Brick work (cycle 20km run 5, cycle 20, run 5, cycle 20, run 5)
Sunday Cycle long endurance ride.

You can swim more anytime
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks Apple, really appreciate it, especially the Brick Training... nce

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Apple wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:PS...are males aloud to post here?...if not delete me.
One's like you are :wink:
Merci petite pomme :D ...or ta Apple :lol: depending on your French.

I do quite a few 3-6 hour races...I very rarely train over 2 hours...(90 minutes is plenty to do 5x5's or 2/3 x 20's) I think Missy's has plenty of endurance...doing the shorter sessions but at a much higher pace/intensity, then allowing plenty of recovery will see you improve a lot more than JRA (IMO).
The main thing is to stay injury free in the running and improve technique in the swimming...but you have 6 months :wink: .

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Missy - you have already seen my training schedule by PM - if I can comment on yours above?

The mistakes alot of tri-athletes make is to train equally hard at their strong leg as they do at their weakest legs. I recommend you drop the training for your cycling a little and increase your running and swim training. You cannot just increase the weaker legs because you need to add more time for recovery. I split my weeks into 3 really hard days (4-5 hours of training) and 3 easier days (1-2 hours) and 1 off day.

If you are aiming for speed - and Olympic is the most distance you want for now, then I would drop your cycling distances down for now. You have 3x40km cycles during the week. I would aim at keeping 1 the same and dropping the other 2 to 25-30kms. Then make them hard and fast routines. Maybe one on a flatish course and the other in hills.

You also have 4 runs of 3-6kms and 1 10-12km run. In the tri, you will need to run 10kms, at your current PB rate in order to beat 3 hours. This is after you are buggered already. I would drop the number of runs and increase the distance. Make it 2 runs during the week but stick to 10km each. I like a method of 2km warm up, 3km of sprints and drill work then a nice 5km run to finish. Keep your longer run on the weekend but make it 15km or stack it with a ride. The weekend run is the one where you can practice maintaining a solid pace and improving on your PB.

Your swimming is fine for now but think about joining a squad. Made HUGE improvements for me.

Overall keep your target in mind. You need to achieve a strong swim, your current PB for the ride and your current PB for the run to make under 3 hours.

This means you need some strong swim training. You will be fresh on the bike after the swim so minimal improvement is needed there. You will be buggered when you begin the run so you need strong run improvements.

I hope this helps.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:32 am

I'm going to keep it at what I have for 2 weeks... then I'll change it, I'll see what I come up with over the next few weeks and hopefully we'll be able to work on some changes together, I really value your help everyone.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Slight change of plans... I've been told to do this (see below) for two weeks and then we will revise

Monday Morning
40km bike

Monday Night
Swim 10 x 100 metres

Tuesday Morning
2 x 5km Runs 2 min rest

Wednesday
40km Ride

Wednesday Night
Swim 10 x 100 metres (rests between)

Thursday Morning
10km Run

Friday Morning
15 x 100 metres Swim (no rests if able to)

Saturday
45km Ride

Sunday
REST

I was told... and I quote, "We have six months to work on such things, need to build aerobic endurance at first, as the weeks progress so will training and come into off the bike runs. You don’t have to take the rests between sets in the swim, but we want to build technique so you don’t get tired at first, means you will get quicker in the water as well. "

Don't know what I'll do on Sundays... but Oooooo Kaaaayyyyyyyy

bella26

Postby bella26 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Heya Missy,

Great to hear about your training for the triathlon. Always great to have a goal to work towards and I'm sure this will make you even stronger than you already are - is that possible?? :lol:
Missy24 wrote: Don't know what I'll do on Sundays... but Oooooo Kaaaayyyyyyyy
Just a thought but why don't you just re-jig the roster so that you have a different rest day - eg move everything along one day and make Monday your proposed day of rest?
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:02 pm

bella26 wrote:Heya Missy,

Great to hear about your training for the triathlon. Always great to have a goal to work towards and I'm sure this will make you even stronger than you already are - is that possible?? :lol:
Missy24 wrote: Don't know what I'll do on Sundays... but Oooooo Kaaaayyyyyyyy
Just a thought but why don't you just re-jig the roster so that you have a different rest day - eg move everything along one day and make Monday your proposed day of rest?
Awww thanks for stopping by Bella... its been a long time since we really chated.

Yeah I think I'll add another swim in... don't tell ANYONE... but I really need to work on the fact that I sink at swimming :roll:

bella26

Postby bella26 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:14 am

Missy24 wrote: Awww thanks for stopping by Bella... its been a long time since we really chated.
Blame the cruddy new job for that - never get a chance to get online anymore so my forum time has been severly disrupted!!!
Missy24 wrote:Yeah I think I'll add another swim in... don't tell ANYONE... but I really need to work on the fact that I sink at swimming :roll:
I don't so much sink when I swim - I have two things permanently strapped to the front of my chest which make me more bouyant and hence pretty slow!!! :lol:
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:47 pm

bella26 wrote:
Missy24 wrote: Awww thanks for stopping by Bella... its been a long time since we really chated.
Blame the cruddy new job for that - never get a chance to get online anymore so my forum time has been severly disrupted!!!
Missy24 wrote:Yeah I think I'll add another swim in... don't tell ANYONE... but I really need to work on the fact that I sink at swimming :roll:
I don't so much sink when I swim - I have two things permanently strapped to the front of my chest which make me more bouyant and hence pretty slow!!! :lol:
Thats a +1 for me to Bella, I've signed up for swim classes tonight, how goes your plans? Any news on the horizon?

Ruby

Postby Ruby » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

I did my first oly distance this year at Newcastle and it is a distance i really enjoyed. Noosa, I am told is a brilliantly fun event.

I had to sign up for stroke correction and it made a big difference. NOt such much at speed - that is something to work on over the winter but for endurance. I could comfortably swim 1500m without stopping and didn't feel shattered when getting out of the water.

Wetsuits are allowed for age groupers if the water temperature is below 24 degrees - so you will find alot of folks at noosa will wear them as it won't have been warm enough for long enough to ensure 24 degrees. I hate swimming in a wetsuit and will only wear it if the water is below 21 degrees. They do make you faster and more boyant but I find my stroke shortens which makes me slower.

I am pretty average at all three legs so I do a balanced plan. I joined a tri club which was really helpful. Particularly just to have someone to run with as I don't enjoy it all.

good luck with your swim lessons!