Winter wear

stargazir

Winter wear

Postby stargazir » Mon May 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Ok so it's time to admit that it's cold now. Theres already a thread on arm and leg warmers but i'm wondering what the ladies who have suffered through previous winters are wearing to keep warm? I'm thinking I need to buy full length knicks and some wind proof layers for my top half. Any recommendations?

Colin_T

Re: Winter wear

Postby Colin_T » Mon May 24, 2010 8:53 pm

it's often cheaper to buy some leggings from Kmart or Target and wear them over normal cycling shorts.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 pm

I have never owned full length knicks. Too much of a PITA with washing daily. I wear knee or leg warmers under knicks and wear for a few days between washes, but fresh knicks. Same for arm warmers v long-sleeved jersey.

Medium cold = Groundeffect windstopper socks, knee warmers, knicks, sleeveless thermal, jersey, arm warmers, Activent vest or jacket, wool scarf under helmet

Super cold (sub-zero) = wool socks, neoprene overboots, full length leg warmers, knicks, long sleeved thermal, 100 weight fleece, Activent jacket, windstopper ear band

As far as super winter cycling garments go, I have a pair of Mountain Equipment Canada winter pants that are thick lycra at the back with Goretex over on the fronts only. They are unpadded in the crotch, I usually wear knicks underneath but should get some of those lightweight liners that come with baggy shorts. It's usually too warm for my MEC pants but when it's cold and I'm not expecting to be going flat out they are SUPER!

My Pearl Izumi winter gloves are FABULOUS!

I have a super-Roubaix thermal skull cap but find it way too hot. My daughter wears it for winter rides. She also wears a pair of my old arm warmers as leg warmers - so cute!!

Steph

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Mon May 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Ground Effect & MEC.. 8)

Just be forewarned that MEC stuff's made for REAL CANADIAN winters..not this wimpy Aussie thing you pass off as winter. :roll:

Of the two MEC rain jackes I have, I find they're fine without arm warmers & ooooo soo cozy with those pit zips!!!

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue May 25, 2010 9:55 am

I have a MEC rain jacket with hood (not cycling though). It's an awesome rain jacket for wandering around in. Kept me bone dry in teh Canuck winter in Vancouver.
2010 BMC SLC01

tourdreamer

Postby tourdreamer » Tue May 25, 2010 7:54 pm

I have Ground Effect gear mostly but when I was riding mornings to work with frost on the ground, over the top of my gear I wore my rain jacket and pants I bought from US website "Showers Pass". They are awesome and fully waterproof/windproof/breathable etc. Definitely get your winter gear from o/s. And the jacket was much cheaper than any I could get locally.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Tue May 25, 2010 11:22 pm

Definitely whatever your shell layer, it will need to have pit zips (and ideally a vent at lower back too).

Crazycanuck you are right my MEC gear (I also have a Goretex jacket with mucho reflective tape) is too hot for anything strenuous or if the temp is above about 8deg.

Steph

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Showerspass jackets are VERY expensive :shock: but worth the $$$.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 am

I used to joke with a friend in Canberra that my winter cycling gear consisted of a long sleeve jersey :D Of course, I said this after working over there and seeing him ride to work dressed like a sleeping bag. Couldn't believe how cold it was!!

In all seriousness, I keep in the shorts as I don't like longs. A long sleeve Jaggad jersey and maybe a gillet, or short sleeve and arm warmers and gillet.

So I only ride outside on the nice days!! And certainly not when it rains!! 8)

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed May 26, 2010 10:33 am

hannos wrote:I have a MEC rain jacket with hood (not cycling though). It's an awesome rain jacket for wandering around in. Kept me bone dry in the Canuck winter in Vancouver.
granted it isn't "cycling wear" but I finally rode with this jacket this morning. It kept me nice and dry, well dry from rain ;) It's only a shell so I didn't overheat on the ride. Was wearing arm warmers and a short sleeve jersey undernaeath.
2010 BMC SLC01

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Wed May 26, 2010 8:46 pm

I own leg warmers but I'm finding just pulling on a pair of polypropylene leggings over the knicks easier and more comfortable.
I'm wearing woollen socks now, with toe covers still in reserve.
On top I'm wearing a lightweight woollen thermal skiv (not cycling specific) and mix the layers on top of that depending on how cold it is. I have a SUB cycling jacket that is pretty warm and a Nike Stormfit super lightweight wind/rain jacket as an outer shell if needed.
Have some mid weight Jet Black gloves in rotation atm and some GroundEffect winter gloves on the way!
Haven't had to wrap up my head yet...