New to this

Meridie

New to this

Postby Meridie » Thu May 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi all, I have just found this site so thought that I'd make a post. I am a mother of several children, a bit overweight, and have bad habits like drinking and the occasional social ciggie. I have been busy raising children and not exercising for 15 years. But I bought a bike a couple of months ago (inspired by all the riders here in Adelaide earlier this year for the TDU....and have started riding. I can only ride on Sundays due to work and children's sports on Saturdays, but love it so far. My first few rides were 20KMs and over the last few weeks I have managed 30KM's. Have now got the hubby on a bike (which is probably the opposite to most people as it seems to be mostly men that ride) and we are building up for a 50KM ride this weekend. Anyway, was wondering what I can do to increase my fitness? Would it help to get a bike stand that I can 'ride' on at home? If any other people have started from scratch, how long does it take to build up a capacity to do organised rides? Any advice would be appreciated! :D

Nobody

Re: New to this

Postby Nobody » Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi Meridie,

I suggest you get a trainer stand as you said and a big fan (>100W). If you ride it twice a week in-between weekend rides, your fitness should improve considerably. How long it takes depends on how old you are, but you should be able to record the results and see the changes if you get a bike computer that can run off the rear wheel.

As to what trainer stand to buy, either a KK Road Machine or KK Pro if you can afford it.
http://www.kurtkinetic.com/
I have a KK Road Machine, but it is not my first trainer. It is a good trainer but I'd probably get the Pro if I could do it again.
Cheaper to buy one from the UK or USA as they are expensive locally. I think someone on these forums was selling one secondhand.
UK price:
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=45289
Cheapest local price I know of:
http://www.cycling-inform.com/store/pro ... ainer.html

There are cheaper trainers, but KK trainers are some of the best for the money. If you do a Google search on this site, you'll see I'm not the only one with this opinion.

It actually may be beneficial to buy a cheaper trainer secondhand just to see if you have the commitment to use an indoor trainer (as they take considerable commitment). If you can tolerate it, then buy something better, which will usually have the benefits of being a bit quieter and more road like in feel.

Other options are rollers with resistance and/or virtual reality trainers. The virtual reality trainers have good reviews here but are still very expensive.

orphic

Postby orphic » Fri May 28, 2010 10:03 am

If you aren't able to get out of the house to ride during the week, then get a trainer.

Something like this is cheap and will do you to start with - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TZT ... er---jd111

I started riding about a year ago. Before riding I did nothing - and by nothing I mean drinking A LOT, smoking A LOT and partying. You'll probably find your breathing will suffer for a bit from smoking, but it's a great reason to give up. My last cigarette was the the day I bought my roadie... And I had tried to quit many times in the past. Haven't looked back :)

I found that finding a group to ride with straight away was the best way to go for motivation. Where do you live? You should see if any of your local clubs have social rides. Start with one of them and work your way up to the bigger ones. I was scared to ride in a bunch at first, but once I had done a few of the more social outings, I worked up the courage to join a cruisy paced group on a long ride and it was certainly not as bad as I thought! If you find a good group they will look after you well (Which is Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club if you're in Sydney...)

emc

Postby emc » Fri May 28, 2010 10:06 am

Hi there Meridie

I can't comment on the fitness stuff because I am one of the fatter unfit cyclists about but I think thats what is great about bike riding, even fatty boombahs like myself can do it even if it means we pootle everwhere..

As to the organised rides stuff a good start would be to join Bike SA and think about doing some of their rides. I have done a few and have always found them very well organised and supported and you don't have to have a flash road bike to do them they cater for all bikes and riders.

Cheers
Kazz

Wino

Postby Wino » Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 am

Welcome Meridie

As far as how long; I started from completely nothing, no exercise forever, over weight (BMI=obese) yada, yada, yada. It took me about 10 months to go from 15k rides where I had to walk up the hills, to doing the MCC 160km. I started once a week rides then found I wanted/needed to be out 3 or 4 times a week even for short rides. This helps you body (muscles/heart/lungs) change. So i think the best way is to ride as frequently as you can, even if this means with a trainer indorrs (personally I find them boring as bats***!). But above all enjoy it and you will do it more frequently.

Have fun!
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

Meridie

Postby Meridie » Fri May 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi there, thanks for the replies all.....it's nice to know that other people have started where I am and kept going.....I have to say that riding along the coast of Adelaide on a sunny Sunday morning is just wonderful, and I look forward to improving my skills. I think that I will go to my local bike shop and get a stand!

Thanks!

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri May 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Just saw this...

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TZTRWNN11

No idea if it is any good, but it is very cheap :).

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri May 28, 2010 4:41 pm

simonn wrote:Just saw this...

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TZTRWNN11

No idea if it is any good, but it is very cheap :).
Got one of them. Does the job okay - but I've not hit it with a lot of work so can't comment on its durability. I'd rather spend the time riding around the block where I've got natural cooling.

If you've got kids at home that you can't leave, who's going to take care of them when your on the trainer (spinning wheels can be pretty dangerous to curious infants) ? If there is someone who could (e.g. hubby), then maybe you could be doing laps around the block rather than sweating it out on a trainer.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sat May 29, 2010 9:31 am

I must admit - I am not a fan of trainers (it would bore me very quickly - cycling is about enjoying the scenery and feeling the wind in my face).

However, in wet weather (and it seems like Australia headed for a wet spell) it may be the only option.

As for how long it takes to build fitness, not long at all, as you have discovered (0 to 50 km in a few months). The more riding you do, the fitter you will be.

One way to quickly build up fitness is to join a social bunch. It's a good way of meeting friends, learning road/bunch riding skills, and a bunch will push you and hubby to cycling longer, harder, faster.

If you want to push yourself really hard, join a bunch that is (slightly) faster than you are, and don't worry if you get dropped. Just cycle as hard as you can to catch up, and you'll find you will improve with every ride, until one day you will find you are able to cycle with the bunch with no problems.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Meridie

Postby Meridie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. I went to the local bike shop and got a TACX as that it what they had and it seems to do the job! Its cold and wintery here in Adelaide so I think it will get a bit of use over winter. Like most people I'd rather get out and ride, but it wasn't much fun last Sunday morning in the rain!!

Cheers

M

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Meridie wrote:Thanks for the advice. I went to the local bike shop and got a TACX as that it what they had and it seems to do the job! Its cold and wintery here in Adelaide so I think it will get a bit of use over winter. Like most people I'd rather get out and ride, but it wasn't much fun last Sunday morning in the rain!!

Cheers

M
Well done!

Jonquil

Postby Jonquil » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:56 pm

You made me laugh Meridie - I was out in the rain last Sunday morning too and your right it was not fun!

Meridie

Postby Meridie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Yes, and just as we were on our way home (luckily) it started drizzling....good old Adelaide!! Think I am going to have to get myself some warmer clothes!!

Meridie

Postby Meridie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:42 pm

I meant this Sunday too...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Meridie wrote:I meant this Sunday too...
Yep... Me too, all I wanted was coffee, have to go out for it