Road bike for my wife

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Road bike for my wife

Postby Glatts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi,
I've been trying to get my wife involved with my cycling for a while now and i've got her all motivated, now we need to get her a bike. I was hoping I might be able to get some advice here. i want to keep the price below 2k, We have had a look on the net at some of the wsd bikes and like the look of the avanti. However not sold on anything yet. I have a couple of questions though. 1) Any suggestions. 2) Is a wsd bike really worth it they seem to be a bit more expensive then mens bikes and not sure of the 'real' benefits so any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
Glatts
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 pm

by BNA » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:28 pm

BNA
 

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Hey check out the article about WSD on the front page, click HERE Scroll down bit, the article is called, What's the big deal? Women's Specific Design.
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Glatts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks for the article Missy, sort of confirmed what I was thinking. The one thing not in the article though is the WSD bikes look more feminine and that IS important to my wife.
Glatts
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Glatts wrote:Thanks for the article Missy, sort of confirmed what I was thinking. The one thing not in the article though is the WSD bikes look more feminine and that IS important to my wife.

Exactly and I sort of agree, bascially I say find 3 bikes in 3 price points, but try and find ones where the specs are on par with each other, low, medium and higher than what you want to spend.

And then choose the one with the best colour.

I tried to stay away from colour in the article, cause so many women hate the colours of WSD, I personally don't like the shape of WSD bikes.

Just by her the bikes with the colour and design that she likes, the shop should change out anything that needs to be changed, if they wont, find a shop that will!
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:14 pm

As an example Glatts, Missys bike is a "gents" but would look great under any lady. The white frame with red accents is beautiful
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25568
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Mulger bill wrote:As an example Glatts, Missys bike is a "gents" but would look great under any lady. The white frame with red accents is beautiful

True, check out Scott Contessa, and Orbea... both do pretty
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:38 am

If it ain't pink i'm not interested ...

Oops, sorry, thought this thread was about me.

Don't know about your wife, but colour/design is my no. 1 criterion for choosing a bike. Everything else comes second - frame, groupset blah blah blah.

As for WSD - main thing is to make sure the arm reach is good and there's a girl saddle. I ride a men's bike, and the length is just a little bit too long for me (had to compensate by using a short stem). My next bike I'll probably choose a slightly smaller frame and make the seatpost higher.

If your wife has small hands, make sure she can comfortably grasp the shifter and brake effectively. There's a "short reach" shifter that Shimano make for women and kids. I nearly bought it, but in the end I managed to reposition my shifters and was able to use it properly.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby bella26 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am

My biggest gripe with WSD bikes - after the colour that is - is that they don't offer value for money. You generally get components a step down from the male equivalent bikes at the same price point. (i.e tiagra or sora instead of 105 etc)

Colour is certainly important and a bike that you like looking at is going to get ridden more but there are a tonne of male bikes which I love to drool over as well. I say scout the market and look at a fair few options at the pricepoint you are looking at. This is a great time of the year to buy as a lot of stores will be looking to offload their 2010 models as the new 2011 ones will arrive over the next few months.

As a few people have already stated any good store will do a proper bike fit for your partner and that should include swapping out components to make sure it is absolutely perfect for her - be it a WSD or Mens bike.

Good luck!
2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er
bella26
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 am

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 am

Just the low down on the quality of the WSD bikes.

The quality is the same, the reason it costs more is because there aren't enough made, its simple supply and demand.

Parts wise, take a brand like Trek... there men's and WSD bikes line up very well against each other, I'd explain it further but I don't have time at the moment, you'll see what I'm saying if you go to the trek website
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby simonn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 am

My wife and I are pretty much the same height, but she has longer legs and a shorter torso. We have the same bike. One the same as mine, but in much better condition, came up cheap on ebay and we already knew she was comfortable on my roadie, so why not... other than looking a bit his and hers, but we don't ride that often together if we were that vain... Anyway, her seat is a little higher and her adjustable stem has a greater angle than mine and... well that was it.

Anyway... it came with white Deep-V rims, so we got a white seat (seat that comes with it is crap anyway), white bottle holders and white bar tape. She is happy with it's looks and has dismissed my suggestion, as being a bit of a waste of money, of getting the frame painted/powder coated so it looks more individual like the fixie kids' bikes at her work.

Image

She is only (a fearless) commuter, so not looking for the same things as the girls on this thread though.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:11 pm

simonn wrote:
She is only (a fearless) commuter, so not looking for the same things as the girls on this thread though.


Does she ride up Parriwi, and then Military Rd? I may have met her - that bike looks strangely familiar ...

If it is the cyclist I'm thinking about, she's pretty strong.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby simonn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
simonn wrote:
She is only (a fearless) commuter, so not looking for the same things as the girls on this thread though.


Does she ride up Parriwi, and then Military Rd? I may have met her - that bike looks strangely familiar ...

If it is the cyclist I'm thinking about, she's pretty strong.


I think I know the cyclist you mean. I passed her on the way from Parriwi to Spit Junction once. She then went past me and said "race ya" as she did do. I caught up using my superior... weight... on the slight incline to get past her again :).

Not my wife though. Same saddle.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 pm

simonn wrote:I think I know the cyclist you mean. I passed her on the way from Parriwi to Spit Junction once. She then went past me and said "race ya" as she did do. I caught up using my superior... weight... on the slight incline to get past her again :).

Not my wife though. Same saddle.


Yeah, I overtook her as we approached the top of Parriwi, and after that man she was on my wheel!

I drank the HTFU Koolaid and sprinted on Military and was sure I lost her, but she caught me at the lights which means she was not far behind.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Glatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for the replys everyone, I'm a shift worker so no action from me during the day. Just wondering when it comes to the 'gents' bikes ridden by women are ther any specific things that anyone has found that needed changing and made a big difference to ride comfort/quality. An earlier post suggested the saddle and stem, any others? Thanks for your input I'm hoping to go out with Kelly (My wife) this weekend and have a look at some bikes. I really want to get it right as its taken some time to get her interested and I don't want to blow it because her bike is not 'fun' to ride. Also I live in adelaide so if there are any suggestions for a good LBS that could help out that would be fantastic.

Cheers
Paul
Glatts
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Seat is the first thing to be changed on a mens bike.

After that its about what she needs, are the handle bars too wide? Can she reach the leavers?

I hope you guys have fun shopping
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Glatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Yeah thx, looking forward to it, although I'm starting to get itchy for a new bike for me too now, I'm riding a custom Ciombola I bought years ago, love the frame but I have no sexy carbon bits anywhere! I'll post some picks of whatever we end up getting and if it is a wsd then I'll be sure to give some feedback.
Glatts
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:33 pm

G'Day again Paul.

A thought re sizing. Grab yer GLW, a tape measure then have a look HERE.
I wouldn't call it definitive but it should help get you pretty close set of numbers.

Saddles are a very personal thing, some ladies can ride any saddle happily, some would be more comfortable on a WS saddle. Only way to be sure is to let her bum decide.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25568
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Sorry MB, I'd disagree on the saddle part.

Change out the saddle ASAP, the mens saddle's out there aren't great, you don't want her bits to hurt because she'll be hesitant to keep riding... trust me, I hear it all the time.
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Missy24 wrote:Sorry MB, I'd disagree on the saddle part.

Change out the saddle ASAP, the mens saddle's out there aren't great, you don't want her bits to hurt because she'll be hesitant to keep riding... trust me, I hear it all the time.


I have to disagree with you - Glatts wife may find a mens saddle suitable. She should ride the saddle that comes on her bike to make sure that it isnt suitable for her, before rushing out to get another saddle that might also be unsuitable. She needs to find the right saddle width/padding firmness/softness for her, which may not be a ws saddle. Not every woman needs a lounge chair on their bike. Sometimes a ws saddles can be too wide for a woman and cause chafing.

Its your sit bones that determine what saddle you need, not your gender. There is a very successful womens professional cycling team sponsored by Selle SMP - mens saddles cant be that bad if the pro's are using them :roll:

Some bike shops have test saddles available to use, so you can try before you buy - its a good way to find a suitable saddle.

Glatts - try to get your wife to wear bibs, it will make a big difference to her comfort :wink:
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:19 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Sorry MB, I'd disagree on the saddle part.

Change out the saddle ASAP, the mens saddle's out there aren't great, you don't want her bits to hurt because she'll be hesitant to keep riding... trust me, I hear it all the time.


I have to disagree with you - Glatts wife may find a mens saddle suitable. She should ride the saddle that comes on her bike to make sure that it isnt suitable for her, before rushing out to get another saddle that might also be unsuitable. She needs to find the right saddle width/padding firmness/softness for her, which may not be a ws saddle. Not every woman needs a lounge chair on their bike. Sometimes a ws saddles can be too wide for a woman and cause chafing.

She may find a mens saddle okay, in my experience, most women want to be on a WSD saddle, and I was hardly suggesting a lounge chair, I'm not sure if you know that there are womens specific designed saddles out there? They're created for women who race as well.
Drunkmonkey wrote:Its your sit bones that determine what saddle you need, not your gender. There is a very successful womens professional cycling team sponsored by Selle SMP - mens saddles cant be that bad if the pro's are using them :roll:

Selle SMP makes WSD saddles why wouldn't they sponsor a very sucessful womens pro team, do you actually know what a WSD saddle is and the different types there are?

http://www.sellesmp.com/en/2008_02.htm

Selle Italia offer test saddles, you can find a store that offers this service on the Selle Italia website, although I couldn't find one in Adelaide when I checked a few months ago for someone.
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Missy24 wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Sorry MB, I'd disagree on the saddle part.

Change out the saddle ASAP, the mens saddle's out there aren't great, you don't want her bits to hurt because she'll be hesitant to keep riding... trust me, I hear it all the time.


I have to disagree with you - Glatts wife may find a mens saddle suitable. She should ride the saddle that comes on her bike to make sure that it isnt suitable for her, before rushing out to get another saddle that might also be unsuitable. She needs to find the right saddle width/padding firmness/softness for her, which may not be a ws saddle. Not every woman needs a lounge chair on their bike. Sometimes a ws saddles can be too wide for a woman and cause chafing.

She may find a mens saddle okay, in my experience, most women want to be on a WSD saddle, and I was hardly suggesting a lounge chair, I'm not sure if you know that there are womens specific designed saddles out there? They're created for women who race as well.
Drunkmonkey wrote:Its your sit bones that determine what saddle you need, not your gender. There is a very successful womens professional cycling team sponsored by Selle SMP - mens saddles cant be that bad if the pro's are using them :roll:

Selle SMP makes WSD saddles why wouldn't they sponsor a very sucessful womens pro team, do you actually know what a WSD saddle is and the different types there are?

http://www.sellesmp.com/en/2008_02.htm

Selle Italia offer test saddles, you can find a store that offers this service on the Selle Italia website, although I couldn't find one in Adelaide when I checked a few months ago for someone.


There are no WS Selle SMP Saddles, the lady line are just different colour options (pink) - the specs are EXACTLY the same (check the specs on the website, same weight, width length and cutout). I know this from first hand experience and advice from one of the best womens cycling coaches and bike fitters in the country, not hearsay - everything about both lines of saddles are exactly the same. The Selle SMP test saddles are all black - if you find one that suits, you just choose your colour. The same bike shop that is affiliated with that pro cycling team sells plenty of saddles to females that are not the lady line, not everyone female wants pink on their saddle.

What makes you question my knowledge of WS saddles? Does your self proclaimed elitist opinion feel threatened?
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:.

What makes you question my knowledge of WS saddles? Does your self proclaimed elitist opinion feel threatened?


Easy does it tiger, I also have a women’s bike saddle. I have a Fizik. Very comfortable, women have wider ischial tuberosity bones (so that we can push a baby out) some women do have narrow bones and may not be able to push and need assistance with delivery, but that is a whole different story, we are talking about bike seats. http://www.fizik.it/
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Missy24 wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:
I have to disagree with you - Glatts wife may find a mens saddle suitable. She should ride the saddle that comes on her bike to make sure that it isnt suitable for her, before rushing out to get another saddle that might also be unsuitable. She needs to find the right saddle width/padding firmness/softness for her, which may not be a ws saddle. Not every woman needs a lounge chair on their bike. Sometimes a ws saddles can be too wide for a woman and cause chafing.

She may find a mens saddle okay, in my experience, most women want to be on a WSD saddle, and I was hardly suggesting a lounge chair, I'm not sure if you know that there are womens specific designed saddles out there? They're created for women who race as well.
Drunkmonkey wrote:Its your sit bones that determine what saddle you need, not your gender. There is a very successful womens professional cycling team sponsored by Selle SMP - mens saddles cant be that bad if the pro's are using them :roll:

Selle SMP makes WSD saddles why wouldn't they sponsor a very sucessful womens pro team, do you actually know what a WSD saddle is and the different types there are?

http://www.sellesmp.com/en/2008_02.htm

Selle Italia offer test saddles, you can find a store that offers this service on the Selle Italia website, although I couldn't find one in Adelaide when I checked a few months ago for someone.



What makes you question my knowledge of WS saddles? Does your self proclaimed elitist opinion feel threatened?


I question your knowledge because I don't know anything about you, I would question anyone who had the same opinion, I am giving my knowledge from my experience, from what I understand and this is just an assumption, you are a man... you have no experience having a vagina... unless I'm mistaken.

Is my self proclaimed elitist opinion threatened? Hell no... I wouldn't be elite if I was feeling threatened now would I.

Chill...
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Missy24 wrote:I question your knowledge because I don't know anything about you, I would question anyone who had the same opinion, I am giving my knowledge from my experience, from what I understand and this is just an assumption, you are a man... you have no experience having a vagina... unless I'm mistaken.
Is my self proclaimed elitist opinion threatened? Hell no... I wouldn't be elite if I was feeling threatened now would I.

Chill...


Yeah you are wrong - its not the first time you have jumped to conclusions :roll: You are far from being elite.
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Missy24 wrote:Is my self proclaimed elitist opinion threatened? Hell no... I wouldn't be elite if I was feeling threatened now would I.


Don't worry, it's sometimes difficult for mere mortals to understand elites, otherwise they wouldn't be mortals and elites wouldn't be elites.

It is the responsibility of those that wear the tiara to forgive their subjects, even the disloyal and dumb ones. I mean, check out the "nice wheels go out of true" thread ... some people just *don't* get it, do they? :P
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Next

Return to Women's Cycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter