Road bike for my wife

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Missy24 wrote:I question your knowledge because I don't know anything about you, I would question anyone who had the same opinion, I am giving my knowledge from my experience, from what I understand and this is just an assumption, you are a man... you have no experience having a vagina... unless I'm mistaken.
Is my self proclaimed elitist opinion threatened? Hell no... I wouldn't be elite if I was feeling threatened now would I.

Chill...


Yeah you are wrong - its not the first time you have jumped to conclusions :roll: You are far from being elite.

And its not the first time that I've apologised for my mistakes, I'm more than willing to apologise if I've made a mistake.

In this case I will apologise for jumping to conclusions, I'm sorry if I've offended your personality, you are obviously very sensative, I'll remember this in the future.
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

by BNA » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:59 pm

BNA
 

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby simonn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:59 pm

In DrunkMonkey's defense, he was not saying do not get a womens saddle, just try what the bike comes with (i.e. male saddle) first because if that works then a female saddle may not have been suitable to begin with.

Perfectly reasonable position IMHO.

Do not run out an spend money because of marketing.

Missy24 wrote:you have no experience having a vagina


(Must resist making joke about having had many a vagina... :lol:)
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:21 pm

simonn wrote:(Must resist making joke about having had many a vagina... :lol:)


Dreaming again simonn :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Missy24 wrote:And its not the first time that I've apologised for my mistakes, I'm more than willing to apologise if I've made a mistake.

In this case I will apologise for jumping to conclusions, [b]I'm sorry if I've offended your personality, you are obviously very sensative, I'll remember this in the future.[b]


Im not at all sensitive - you're the precious one that got upset when your view that all women need a female specific saddle was challenged. Then you proved how ignorant you are by googling Selle SMP and jumping to the conclusion that their lady range is WS. Now I can see how bike companies can pull the wool over some peoples eyes with their 'womens specific' products :lol:
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:26 pm

simonn wrote:In DrunkMonkey's defense, he was not saying do not get a womens saddle, just try what the bike comes with (i.e. male saddle) first because if that works then a female saddle may not have been suitable to begin with.

Perfectly reasonable position IMHO.

Do not run out an spend money because of marketing.

Missy24 wrote:you have no experience having a vagina


(Must resist making joke about having had many a vagina... :lol:)


Im glad some people can actually read a post and figure out its true meaning :lol:
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:33 pm

simonn wrote:(Must resist making joke about having had many a vagina... :lol:)


You've had multiple sex change operations? Gee that must be tough, I would be demanding money back from the surgeon.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Missy24 wrote:And its not the first time that I've apologised for my mistakes, I'm more than willing to apologise if I've made a mistake.

In this case I will apologise for jumping to conclusions, [b]I'm sorry if I've offended your personality, you are obviously very sensative, I'll remember this in the future.[b]


Im not at all sensitive - you're the precious one that got upset when your view that all women need a female specific saddle was challenged. Then you proved how ignorant you are by googling Selle SMP and jumping to the conclusion that their lady range is WS. Now I can see how bike companies can pull the wool over some peoples eyes with their 'womens specific' products :lol:

I think you'll find that I wasn't at all upset, I enjoy healthy disucssion about these topics and think there important in diplaying other points of view.

I was however curious as to where your knowledge came from which is why I posed the question numerous questions to encourage you to expand on your answer.

I will say however if you wish to keep this discussion going perhaps you would like to PM me, as we are going terribly off topic and I don't believe that our petty discussion is covering the topic of WSD saddles very well at all.
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:36 pm

To try and get back on to topic, can I ask a question?

Drunkmonkey wrote:There are no WS Selle SMP Saddles, the lady line are just different colour options (pink) - the specs are EXACTLY the same (check the specs on the website, same weight, width length and cutout). I know this from first hand experience and advice from one of the best womens cycling coaches and bike fitters in the country, not hearsay - everything about both lines of saddles are exactly the same.


I must admit, this was a revelation to me, and I was under the impression that the saddles were different based on gender.

For example, on the web site, Selle makes the following statement:
Selle web site tech specs wrote:SMP multiplies the range to give each cyclist the model most suitable to his physical structure and to the type of use.


And offers the following diagram to support the above point:
Image

Does that mean Selle is lying? To me, this would sway me against buying Selle products in the future.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Well it really doesn’t matter, if your private area is happy and you are able to perform your wifely duties then you have the correct saddle. When I bought my first Trek road bike it had a generic saddle on it and my cherry was very unhappy, I kept on changing the seat angle, height to no avail. I then bought a Fizik and have never looked back, oh it was WS
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby simonn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Christine Tham wrote:Does that mean Selle is lying?


Perish the thought. It's marketing.

FWIW,"selle" is Italian for "saddle". Selle SMP is a different company to selle italia etc.

Apple wrote:if your private area is happy and you are able to perform your wifely duties then you have the correct saddle


Which was of course the drunk one's point.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:22 pm

simonn wrote:
Apple wrote:if your private area is happy and you are able to perform your wifely duties then you have the correct saddle


Which was of course the dunk one's point.


I wasn’t in conflict with his point just the agro way he came across.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:12 pm

Christine Tham wrote:To try and get back on to topic, can I ask a question?

Drunkmonkey wrote:There are no WS Selle SMP Saddles, the lady line are just different colour options (pink) - the specs are EXACTLY the same (check the specs on the website, same weight, width length and cutout). I know this from first hand experience and advice from one of the best womens cycling coaches and bike fitters in the country, not hearsay - everything about both lines of saddles are exactly the same.


I must admit, this was a revelation to me, and I was under the impression that the saddles were different based on gender.

For example, on the web site, Selle makes the following statement:
Selle web site tech specs wrote:SMP multiplies the range to give each cyclist the model most suitable to his physical structure and to the type of use.


And offers the following diagram to support the above point:
Image

Does that mean Selle is lying? To me, this would sway me against buying Selle products in the future.


SMP saddles come in 11 variations of widths and padding thickness (or no padding at all) - thats a fairly broad range of saddles to choose from - so SMP arent lying when they say they are multiplying the range to give each cyclist the model most suitable for them :?

There is a reason there is a male and female in the pic - its because all their saddles are suitable for a male and female, the diagram is just showing the possible physical build the saddle would be suitable for (the male and female show up for every model) :wink:

You arent being lied to - you have assumed that the lady version is a WS saddle, and not a colour option. There is nothing on their website that states their lady line is WS - nothing in writing, only diagrams/pictures for people to misinterpret.

From the site:
The central channel of the saddle is an uncommon characteristic because of its dimensions: almost a whole hand can be put in there and this prevents crushing of the anus, prostate, venae pudendae, deep dorsal vein and artery of the !!! spammer !!!, scrotum and testicles in men, and the labia majora and minora and the clitoris, in women.
Last edited by Drunkmonkey on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Apple wrote:
simonn wrote:
Apple wrote:if your private area is happy and you are able to perform your wifely duties then you have the correct saddle


Which was of course the dunk one's point.


I wasn’t in conflict with his point just the agro way he came across.


Sometimes the only way to get through to some people is to be direct..............only the females seem to be getting upset with my honest opinion.
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby dodge » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:17 am

Sometimes the only way to get through to some people is to be direct..............only the females seem to be getting upset with my honest opinion


If certain people took the time to actually read the posts put on here they would realise that you have mentioned you are female without directly saying it.You have the so called experience (having a vagina.I would question this on some of the posters also) measure.Its fairly obvious from reading threads on here that someone loves to be condascending when they think its a male posting .

But you are correct about SMP saddles being non-gender..Since a friend of mine lent me her test saddle(smp stratos) to try for a few rides...Didn't work for me but works awesome for her...She has tried my saddle(prologo scratch) and hated it because of how hard it was....It comes down to sit bones ..Not whether you can give birth or not :wink:

P.S Short/bib quality will also play a part also :)
Size 14..first of the overeaters
dodge
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:49 am

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:SMP saddles come in 11 variations of widths and padding thickness (or no padding at all) - thats a fairly broad range of saddles to choose from - so SMP arent lying when they say they are multiplying the range to give each cyclist the model most suitable for them :?


Thanks for explanation. I wasn't aware that there were variations in the saddles - there was nothing in the sales brochure that I downloaded that explained this. It does make sense to have the full range available to both men and women, and removes the stigma of men with wide hips (or sit bones or whatever) buying from the female range.

I think their web site is still misleading though. Why have a "Lady" range? Why not just say we have 11 variations to suit both men and women, and have a range of colour options?

Maybe they are just incompetent in marketing. Not as big a sin as lying, but if they were an Australian company they would liable for mispresentation in the Trade Practices Act (and yes, I do know that section very well - used it very effectively a few times).
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:43 am

dodge wrote:(having a vagina.I would question this on some of the posters also)


wow, this is hot gossip! tell us more.

we already know about simonn :P who else?

PS - jumping onto Facebook now to check out Missy's photos. Looking for telltale signs - adam's apple, large hands ...
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:42 am

Christine Tham wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:SMP saddles come in 11 variations of widths and padding thickness (or no padding at all) - thats a fairly broad range of saddles to choose from - so SMP arent lying when they say they are multiplying the range to give each cyclist the model most suitable for them :?


Thanks for explanation. I wasn't aware that there were variations in the saddles - there was nothing in the sales brochure that I downloaded that explained this. It does make sense to have the full range available to both men and women, and removes the stigma of men with wide hips (or sit bones or whatever) buying from the female range.

I think their web site is still misleading though. Why have a "Lady" range? Why not just say we have 11 variations to suit both men and women, and have a range of colour options?

Maybe they are just incompetent in marketing. Not as big a sin as lying, but if they were an Australian company they would liable for mispresentation in the Trade Practices Act (and yes, I do know that section very well - used it very effectively a few times).


Do you always buy a product just from looking at the sales brochure? :?

Perhaps you should ask your local bike shop that stocks SMP what the lady line is, or do more reasearch - its easier than jumping to conclusions.

Its not misrepresentation if people choose to read what they want to about a product, when all the information is available if you look.

This link may be helpful for you: http://www.sellesmp.com/en/evolution.htm
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:Do you always buy a product just from looking at the sales brochure? :?


Doesn't everyone? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Drunkmonkey wrote:Its not misrepresentation if people choose to read what they want to about a product, when all the information is available if you look.


Actually, not according to the Trade Practices Act. It is misrepresentation if someone was led to the wrong conclusion based on the way statements are worded or the way products are marketed, regardless of whether the company intended to mislead or not. Unfortunately not all of us are as savvy as you!
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:02 am

Christine Tham wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:Do you always buy a product just from looking at the sales brochure? :?


Doesn't everyone? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Drunkmonkey wrote:Its not misrepresentation if people choose to read what they want to about a product, when all the information is available if you look.


Actually, not according to the Trade Practices Act. It is misrepresentation if someone was led to the wrong conclusion based on the way statements are worded or the way products are marketed, regardless of whether the company intended to mislead or not. Unfortunately not all of us are as savvy as you!


The price tag on SMP saddles should be more than enough to make people to look at more than just a brochure before purchasing :wink:
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Missy24 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 am

I spent a lot of money on zipps this week... Never looked at any information
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:01 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:The price tag on SMP saddles should be more than enough to make people to look at more than just a brochure before purchasing :wink:


I bought my current car (VW Passat - around $56,000) just by looking at the brochure. Didn't even take it for a test drive!

Bought my current saddle based on just the description on the web site. Fits me fine.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby bella26 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:24 am

Glatts wrote:Just wondering when it comes to the 'gents' bikes ridden by women are ther any specific things that anyone has found that needed changing and made a big difference to ride comfort/quality. An earlier post suggested the saddle and stem, any others?


I had to change to a shorter stem on my bike and ummed and ahhed about handlebar width as well when I was being set up on it. In the end I left the original handlebars as it was touch and go whether I needed to change down a size in width.

I changed the saddle to a WSD straight away. I could tell from just being set up on the trainer that the mens saddle was going to cause me a hell of a lot of grief in the soft tissue area. Unfortunately for me the process of which WSD would suit me took a few months, a few saddles and a hell of a lot of pain in between. I unfortunately perservered with a seat that was just not right for me for too long and developed Ischial Bursitis which then led to me being off the bike for nearly two months. Thankfully now after 4 saddles I've got the right one for me which happens to be a specialized Jett WSD. Now I'm back on the bike and riding without discomfort from my saddle and I have to tell you it's bliss!

My experience with the saddles has also confirmed to me that you need a decent pair of knicks as well. For me womens knicks aren't suitable so I go with Mens which are longer in the legs and don't have a padded area that cuts into my butt! Again as with the saddles this is personal preference only.

Hope you're other half gets sorted out with her dream bike soon and starts enjoying tearing up the road just like the rest of us.
2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er
bella26
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 am

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 am

dodge wrote:
Sometimes the only way to get through to some people is to be direct..............only the females seem to be getting upset with my honest opinion


If certain people took the time to actually read the posts put on here they would realise that you have mentioned you are [b]female without directly saying it.You have the so called experience (having a vagina.I would question this on some of the posters also) measure.Its fairly obvious from reading threads on here that someone loves to be condascending when they think its a male posting .[/b]

But you are correct about SMP saddles being non-gender..Since a friend of mine lent me her test saddle(smp stratos) to try for a few rides...Didn't work for me but works awesome for her...She has tried my saddle(prologo scratch) and hated it because of how hard it was....It comes down to sit bones ..Not whether you can give birth or not :wink:

P.S Short/bib quality will also play a part also :)


I dont spend a lot of time in the womens section for that exact reason - there are already experts in here who know it all, I would rather spend my time giving my opinion to those that appreciate it :roll:


To the OP - check that the handlebars are the right size/width for your wife, she will have shoulder problems if they arent. A good way to check is to go to your LBS, and grab some bars that are hanging up and measure from arm pit to arm pit (put the bars under your arm pits). A lot of bikes are sold with 40 or 42 width bars, your wife may need to go as small as 38 (same size I ride with) - or depending on her size she may fine with bigger bars. If new bars are needed - 3T Ergonova's are a reasonable price, have a good reach and ergonomics and are very, very comfy :wink:
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby dodge » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
dodge wrote:
Sometimes the only way to get through to some people is to be direct..............only the females seem to be getting upset with my honest opinion


If certain people took the time to actually read the posts put on here they would realise that you have mentioned you are [b]female without directly saying it.You have the so called experience (having a vagina.I would question this on some of the posters also) measure.Its fairly obvious from reading threads on here that someone loves to be condascending when they think its a male posting .[/b]

But you are correct about SMP saddles being non-gender..Since a friend of mine lent me her test saddle(smp stratos) to try for a few rides...Didn't work for me but works awesome for her...She has tried my saddle(prologo scratch) and hated it because of how hard it was....It comes down to sit bones ..Not whether you can give birth or not :wink:

P.S Short/bib quality will also play a part also :)


I dont spend a lot of time in the womens section for that exact reason - there are already experts in here who know it all, I would rather spend my time giving my opinion to those that appreciate it :roll:


To the OP - check that the handlebars are the right size/width for your wife, she will have shoulder problems if they arent. A good way to check is to go to your LBS, and grab some bars that are hanging up and measure from arm pit to arm pit (put the bars under your arm pits). A lot of bikes are sold with 40 or 42 width bars, your wife may need to go as small as 38 (same size I ride with) - or depending on her size she may fine with bigger bars. If new bars are needed - 3T Ergonova's are a reasonable price, have a good reach and ergonomics and are very, very comfy :wink:

Good point..I had this same issue with my bike..Getting pinched nerves in my shoulders etc etc..Changed to 44's then instant no more pain when i went out :D
Size 14..first of the overeaters
dodge
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:49 am

Re: Road bike for my wife

Postby Apple » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:35 pm

I changed my handle bars on my first road bike because I have wide shoulders and had to change the stem as well as other variations.
Bike shops are more interested in selling the bike off the rack and are not into changing parts off it.



This is only my opinion so don’t take it personally. If you can afford to buy the bike frame and then build the bike around your measurements it may be the best way to go. As buying a bike off the rack and then having to modify it makes it expensive and it is not the bike it was.
My second bike was custom built for me and my third bike I bought each part separately to suit my measurements, I also got the bike seat transferred from my old bike because I didn’t want to take any chances with being uncomfortable.

I am not claiming to be an expert I just have personal experience from being a woman who rides bikes.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Previous

Return to Women's Cycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit