First drop bar for many years

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

First drop bar for many years

Postby emc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 pm

I have recently become the proud owner of a Salsa Casseroll triple. Its a lovely looking bike. It slept in my bedroom for the first week after its purchase and then I acquired some new bedroom furniture so it now spends its idle time in the lounge room. Anyways I test rode 2 different sizes, swapped stems etc etc and thought that this was it. And it may be it but I find it very difficult braking from the hoods. I feel a little overstretched on rides at the moment on the straight bit of the handlebars (you know the bit where you attach your lights and bell etc). I feel really comfortable with my hands on the hoods when standing up to go up hill (what is that posture called??) and I feel really comfortable with my hands in the drops. So is it just me not being used to drop bars or would it be worthwhile getting a slightly shorter stem?

:)
Kazz
emc

by BNA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 am

BNA

Re: First drop bar for many years

Postby Missy24 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 am

Wouldn't hurt to try a shorter stem, if your feeling to stretched this will help
Missy24

Postby emc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Update:

I have now swapped my current stem for a shorter one and the new one has a slight rise aswell. Who would have thought 2cm would make such a difference??
I did it myself aswell and I am now much more comfortable. Heres hoping my handywork holds up and things don't fall apart on me mid ride!!

Now I just need to keep riding to break in the new saddle/bum :)
emc

Postby jet-ski » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:00 pm

You will know if the stem isn't on tight enough...I made that mistake a while ago and the bars slipped forward & down a little under heavy braking... ooops haha... but wasn't too scary.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Return to Women's Cycling