question

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

question

Postby lexi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am

I'm planning a long ride - Sydney to Adelaide - and was wondering, for a ride of that length...should I take some form of electrolyte to keep myself healthy and my energy levels up?
lexi

by BNA » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:00 am

BNA

Re: question

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Lexi,

We rode across Vietnam (900km) in hot humid conditions and quite a few large climbs.

We used the "Shotz" tablet in our water bottles and I recommend them.

Cheers
Stand on my dog I cut off your head
bianchi928

Postby lexi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:03 am

Thank you very much Bianchi. Boy Vietnam would have been difficult in that hot and humid climate.
lexi

Postby s-s-a » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:00 pm

IMO it depends what time of year you are doing it, and how extreme the number of hours you are spending in the saddle each day.
If you are having decent meals and not riding in the height of summer then I don't think you'd need it.
If you are riding pretty much all day (ie lunch = energy gels or bars) or riding in temps over 30 degrees then probably.

PS. Electrolyte won't keep your energy levels up unless there is also carbos/glucose in it as well.

Usually in summer or if I'm not going to be eating I use Powerade and water it down a little. I am doing a ride in the tropics next month and will be using Nuun which is electrolyte only, so I will also be carrying energy bars and some Powerade powder.

Steph
s-s-a

Return to Women's Cycling