2009 Cannondale Quick 5 Feminine

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Ladies,

I have been on the hunt for a bike to introduce my partner to cycling - a hybrid/flat bar roadie seems to be the way to go. She may go onto a dropbar later on if she likes it enough. Initially, the riding will be bike paths around the river with some longer (<25km) rides with me. Recreational riding i would call it.

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Pr ... Feminine-5

I have found a 09 Cannondale Quick 5 (feminine frame), as-new from a LBS which is closing down. The owner is offering it to me for half price (~$400) which is a great bargain. We will be 'test' riding it this weekend to check for fit. If shes happy with it (eg. she likes the pretty colors :P ) ill buy it for her bday.

A few questions:
- Being not at all familiar with ladies bikes, is there anything i should be particularly wary of?
- Anyone have experience with this bike model or similar?
- My partner hasnt ever ridden before so the seat will be a point of complaint, but if it still hurts her after a month or two - is there a womens specific seat that you ladies tend to agree on?

Thanks for your help and if she joins the forum, be sure to tell her how nice I am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob

CommuRider

Re: 2009 Cannondale Quick 5 Feminine

Postby CommuRider » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Rob, the bike looks very nice. Similar to the one I ride. Very important about the fit. Yes colours and style are very important: ie, the bike is like an accessory eg. handbag - the bike should look good on her. Show her the accessories range LOL. Or take her to a really nice bike accessories shop unless your closing down LBS are selling form and style too. Clarence St. Cyclery here in Sydney has a woman's section and they have a really nice accessories range for us women. I have a bike padded gel seat cover as I find bike seats in general very uncomfortable. Teamed with my padded bike shorts - although the shorts are a bit unsightly - I have had no problems with seating.

Also, ask her if she wants a basket for her stuff eg handbag, picnic blanket, bottle of wine etc. unless she'd want to ride with a backpack instead.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:45 pm

One thing about womens bikes, its just a label, a women doesn't need a womens bike.

Max

Postby Max » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:49 am

Parker wrote:One thing about womens bikes, its just a label, a women doesn't need a womens bike.
I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but this statement is just plain ignorant. Fit will obviously vary from woman to woman. Some women are long in the body, others short. My torso falls into the "shorter than normal" category. For me, a WSD bike is the way to go. That might not be the case for the OP's partner. The only way to be sure is to actually check the fit.

As for the saddle, I use a Fizik Vitesse Sport that came with my bike. It's not super-padded and doesn't have cutouts but suits me just fine. I've heard that Selle Italia WSD models are popular among women. I've never tried them, so can't comment on just how good/bad they are. Just thought I'd throw out a suggestion.

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:24 am

Max wrote: ... but this statement is just plain ignorant. Fit will obviously vary from woman to woman. Some women are long in the body, others short. My torso falls into the "shorter than normal" category. For me, a WSD bike is the way to go. That might not be the case for the OP's partner. The only way to be sure is to actually check the fit.

On the corollary, what about a male that has a shorter than normal body? Do they buy a women's bike as well as that suits them? Wouldn't that make it a men's specific bike in this scenario?

In the end your last sentence is all that is needed.
It's a marketing label and nothing more.

Buy the bike that fits you regardless of what "label" it has.
2010 BMC SLC01

Max

Postby Max » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:39 am

Hannos, your point is well made, and mine not so much. What I was trying to say is that WSD bikes have their place and shouldn't be dismissed purely as a marketing trick.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:01 am

My shrink is trying to make me think of all sides of a situation, hence my post :)

As for WSD, well even if it IS a sneaky underhanded marketing ploy, if it gets bums on saddles then I'm all for it.
2010 BMC SLC01

Max

Postby Max » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:40 am

hannos wrote::)
My shrink is trying to make me think of all sides of a situation, hence my post :)
Lol all good, and I should do more of the same :)

To the OP, if your partner does get the Quick, I'd be interested to know her opinion of it. I've been considering one as a commuter.

Max

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:27 pm

I remember a little while ago (ok...a couple of years), we had a question from a very short guy. He was looking for a bike and the only one that really fitted him was a WSD. He refused to buy it because it was pink...as are lots of wsd bikes.

So...there is nothing stopping a guy from getting this specific fit frame...except the stupid marketing that says "everyone who is going to buy these bikes is female and likes girly colours".

Sorry...resume normal transmission...

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Max wrote:
Parker wrote:One thing about womens bikes, its just a label, a women doesn't need a womens bike.
I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but this statement is just plain ignorant. Fit will obviously vary from woman to woman. Some women are long in the body, others short. My torso falls into the "shorter than normal" category. For me, a WSD bike is the way to go. That might not be the case for the OP's partner. The only way to be sure is to actually check the fit.
Actually it isn't ignorant, a bike is specific to a person, not a gender. You'd be surprised at how many shorter women can actually be fit onto the tradition dare I say it mens bike, you just need to find the right designed bike for you.

Its ignorant to think that a bike is specific to a man or a women, the higher up in spec you go, you'll find that the majority of bikes have had things like the saddle changed out, oh yeah and that's all.

I don't see the cervelo test team riding around on WSD bikes :roll:

qinv

Postby qinv » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:16 pm

punk_rob wrote:Hi Ladies,

I have been on the hunt for a bike to introduce my partner to cycling - a hybrid/flat bar roadie seems to be the way to go. She may go onto a dropbar later on if she likes it enough. Initially, the riding will be bike paths around the river with some longer (<25km) rides with me. Recreational riding i would call it.

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Pr ... Feminine-5

I have found a 09 Cannondale Quick 5 (feminine frame), as-new from a LBS which is closing down. The owner is offering it to me for half price (~$400) which is a great bargain. We will be 'test' riding it this weekend to check for fit. If shes happy with it (eg. she likes the pretty colors :P ) ill buy it for her bday.

A few questions:
- Being not at all familiar with ladies bikes, is there anything i should be particularly wary of?
- Anyone have experience with this bike model or similar?
- My partner hasnt ever ridden before so the seat will be a point of complaint, but if it still hurts her after a month or two - is there a womens specific seat that you ladies tend to agree on?

Thanks for your help and if she joins the forum, be sure to tell her how nice I am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
the seat will always be a point of complaint for beginners. I think it's a good bike, but you should ask for her opinion too before buying it