Where do you keep your bike?

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Postby geekgirl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:22 pm

I've got a small dilemma. Having just made the leap back into cycling, albeit on a short commute. I've realised from my housemates reaction to my bike being parked in some spare space in the kitchen, that he thinks I'm a bit weird. Or rather to quote directly 'It's like living with a bloke in the house'. :shock:

Since he's never actually shared or lived with a bloke other than his father when he was a child, then I take this with a grain of salt, and that his experience is limited to visiting his mates houses, none of whom cycle (that I'm aware of). I on the other hand have always (with the exception of this house) 'lived' with my bikes (and others) in the house. I think the grand total was six at one stage. Up until it's recent service this bike was living in the garage, but now that it's being used it has 'returned' to its rightful place. Well as far as I'm concerned it has. While I know this is not of deep cycling significance, it is making me wonder about how non cyclists view such things something I've never had to consider before or it just me any cyclists in general...thoughts?
geekgirl

by BNA » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 pm

BNA

Re: Where do you keep your bike?

Postby CommuRider » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh dear.

I don't know geekgirl. That's something that requires compromise. I park my bike in the hallway. I do have a balcony and I used to park it there but since getting a bike stand, the hallway's better for it. However, I don't have a garage and if I had one I'd probably put it in there. You could also get a bike cover if he doesn't like the look of it. At least it's covered and not in his face?

*shrugs*
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby m@ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm

My wife keeps her bikes in the bike room, next to mine.

Where else would you keep them? :mrgreen:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Max » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 pm

I keep my bike in the study. The study is pretty much "my" room, so it makes sense to keep it there. We don't have a garage, but even if we did, I doubt I'd leave the bike there. I like having it where I can see it :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:35 pm

m@ wrote:My wife keeps her bikes in the bike room, next to mine.

Where else would you keep them? :mrgreen:

In your bedroom :mrgreen:
Drunkmonkey

Postby geekgirl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 am

Thanks everyone! Now I don't feel quite so weird. I might compromise by putting it in the garage if I can clean and tidy a corner to put my stuff in. He's not a shed man so the garage is disorganised and everytime I organise it, he simply just finds more to dump in it. Ah now he may have to compromise. Unfortunately the hallway and my bedroom simply aren't big enough. I do have a study, like you Max but it's down the narrow hallway and would be a pain negotiating the length of it each day, whereas I can wheel it straight in through the front door, through the entry and into the spot where it was until I left this morning.

I was just more shocked that he thought that 'bikes belong in the garage'. I've never shared or lived with someone who told me I had to put my bike in the garage. Like you Max I like being able to see it. 'Bike rooms' have always been the norm to me :) Even my friends who now have children keep all their bikes on the back porch (and no we don't have one!).
geekgirl

Postby Parker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 am

Bedroom
Parker

Postby jet-ski » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:30 pm

I have two bikes on a stand in the living room (one mine, one my partners), and three (the xtra, the mongoose, and the long haul trucker) in the dining area of the house. There are a couple more under the patio out the back but they get very dirty cos the dogs kick up lots of dirt out there. My visitors all think I'm weird. I've even had people say 'do you get out on your bikes much', and look puzzled when I say 'every day'. :P
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:32 pm

we don't have a 'garage' though, only an open car port, I lost a bike from the car port one night so they are never again going to be stored there :P
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby notsocool » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:14 pm

I have a garage with my car and my kids bikes in it, but my bike stays in the house, I cant bring myself to put it out there. It's not something I planned, just happens that way, come back from a ride and it comes straight inside with me...Hmm..
notsocool

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:07 pm

Not in the house...

My wife would stitch 'em back on so she could cut 'em off again.

Our garage is behind a locked gate, so that's good enough for me. Also lets me escape when I want to do some maintenance, etc.
rkelsen

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:49 am

My two sit comfortably in my study.Tim
TimW

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:21 am

In the Lock Up Garage where it belongs. If I only had a carport or a Garage that doesn't lock, probably on the balcony. However the wife would go bonkers if it ever came into the house!
thomashouseman

Postby qinv » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:45 pm

luckily I have a garage!
qinv

Postby Crittski » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 pm

The dining table works as a bike stand for my MTB and road bike... isn't that what its for?
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra
Crittski

Postby 009jim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 pm

My house is different to most. Instead of kitchen, lounge room, and bedrooms; mine has kitchen, bike/gym room, tool room, storage room and one bedroom. My GF tried to change things but she gave up and left.
009jim

Postby Campag_Grrl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:50 pm

In my bedroom so I can gaze at her as I fall asleep. If I go away for more than a day I lock it in my walk in wardrobe or longer than a few days it gets locked in my parents cellar!!

When I first got it I used to lock it in my gym against the only item that couldn't be picked up and carried away. I live in the middle of nowhere so I really need not worry lol
Campag_Grrl

Postby Chaderotti » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Either the games room, lounge or my room.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird
Chaderotti

Postby gazman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:11 pm

rkelsen wrote:Not in the house...

My wife would stitch 'em back on so she could cut 'em off again.

TimW wrote:My two sit comfortably in my study.Tim

Are we still discussing where we keep our bikes!!!

Mine are safe in a locked garage.
gazman

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:09 am

I live by myself but my bike(s) live in the garage. I won't bring dirty bike stuff into the house.
Ross

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Mine is currently in the garage, hers is on the trainer in the study (collecting dust :roll:)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Fabby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:06 am

Campag_Grrl wrote:In my bedroom so I can gaze at her as I fall asleep. If I go away for more than a day I lock it in my walk in wardrobe or longer than a few days it gets locked in my parents cellar!!

When I first got it I used to lock it in my gym against the only item that couldn't be picked up and carried away. I live in the middle of nowhere so I really need not worry lol

Crikey! What is your bike? Gold Plated Diamond encrusted??
Fabby

Postby gdt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:22 pm

If you have a look around you house you might find a dead area you can use for a wall mount or a ceiling hoist. Behind doors is a good place to look. Laundries are good value too (they'll often have a lot of room for a ceiling hoist above the washing machine and no one gets upset if the bike is wet. A friend paid a builder to change their under stairs storage into bike parking.

If you are using a wall mount then secure a 90mm/120mm/ish timber to the wall from floor to ceiling and then put the wall mount on the timber. This stops the rear tyre going through the gyprock.

If its a free standing garage have a look around before putting you bike in there. If you see light surface rust on anything that's been there for a year or so (eg, tools) then find somewhere else.
gdt

Postby backslashio » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:14 am

I used to keep mine in the kitchen/dining room area, sometimes in the laundry but only when guests arrived - if I put the bike in the laundry I'd block my back door. Now that I'm currently living in a bigger house (temporarily unfortunately) it stays in the laundry. Could easily put it in the garage but I prefer somewhere a bit more secure (and free of spiders) :P

I prefer keeping my bikes inside when possible, anywhere else and I'd just worry too much. I remember when I had to visit my aunt and there was nowhere to put it so I just chained it to the bullbar on my dad's car, haha!
backslashio

Postby BoardRider » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:39 am

My bikes are kept in the dinning room with the various tools and cleaning equipment.My wife recently began to ride and purchased a bike rack for them.Although she seems to have given up keeping them in the rack. Her bike seems to live in the Trainer.The things that annoy her mostly are the seven surfboards that lay in various parts of the house. After my commute my bike is locked to my office desk after being sneaked in initially( 9th Floor).People have seem to have given up complaining.
My boss said it was brought at a directors meeting,he denied he knew who it was.The cleaners also keep it quiet for me.Six years on I still sneak it in.
My neighbour keeps a restored honda car in his lounge room, he physically cant get it out now.
Last edited by BoardRider on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown
BoardRider

Next

Return to Women's Cycling