Sooking Thread

Pax

Re: Sooking Thread

Postby Pax » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Hope you haven't done it harm by the "massive heave" involved in digging this thread up from 3 years ago!

Really hope it isn't the bike...why do you think it might be the bike??

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:11 am

I hope not either, the only reason I think so is that this trouble started shortly after I switched to a drop-bar bike for the first time :| I love it and don't notice any particular strain while actually riding, so maybe it's something else, fingers crossed ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Sounds tight. Perhaps a physio visit would help and some pressure point release? I had a sore top of hip which turned out to be TFL tightness (near where the leg bone's connected to the body). I was given a stretching regime and no issues since.

I'm expecting them soon though...currently sitting on backside doing very little. I swim with pull buoy but every other exercise ends up hurting sooner rather than later. I can't even do the stretches I was given!! Oh yeah...I'm awaiting MRI report and surgeon visit for knackered knee syndrome. Definite torn meniscus but who knows what else!!

And I'm overworked and under paid.

There...I've had my sook :)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Sorry - forgot a bit. It's called "comfort eating" for a reason ;)

newie

Postby newie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Bump again.

I'm having a sook cause I'm sick of the cold weather. I'm sick of getting out of a warm bed and getting dressed in a cold house, riding through the cold to a cold office at work, sitting almost on top of the heater all day, then having to ride home in the cold and dark to a cold dark house. Yeah, I know, it's not as bad as some of you further south than me, but still, I'm over it.

end sook

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Chicks sook, blokes just get on with it. What does that tell you?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

newie

Postby newie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:43 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Chicks sook, blokes just get on with it. What does that tell you?
It tells me that if men felt more comfortable in articulating how they feel (i.e. have a sook) then the rates of depression, suicide, violence and alcohol and substance abuse for men would be a lot lower than they currently are. Sure, not having a whinge about being cold doesn't in itself lead to any of those things, but the pattern of thinking that insists that men aren't allowed to admit to any kind of weakness sure doesn't help.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:49 pm

I thought this thread was about the Rugby test match on Saturday
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:14 pm

newie wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Chicks sook, blokes just get on with it. What does that tell you?
It tells me that if men felt more comfortable in articulating how they feel (i.e. have a sook) then the rates of depression, suicide, violence and alcohol and substance abuse for men would be a lot lower than they currently are. Sure, not having a whinge about being cold doesn't in itself lead to any of those things, but the pattern of thinking that insists that men aren't allowed to admit to any kind of weakness sure doesn't help.
No, it says "suck it up sunshine, there are millions of others doing it a lot tougher than you."

newie

Postby newie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Thank you for so beautifully illustrating in your reply the point I was trying to make.
Someone acknowledges that they're finding something difficult.
One possible response: "Yeah, it is a bit tough at the moment, hang in there, you'll be through the worst of it soon".
The gorilla monsoon response "suck it up sunshine".
It is precisely that kind of attitude I was referring to.

Of course there are people doing it tougher. The fact I chose to drag up a thread called "the sooking thread", that had been dead for 2 years, was making it quite clear that I did not consider this a major problem.

I sure hope Mrs Monsoon gets a more sympathetic ear when she chooses to mention anything she is finding difficult. I actually find it rather astounding that someone would come into the women's sub-forum specifically to have a go at women. It sure is no surprise there are hardly any women left on this forum when attitudes like this are displayed.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:17 pm

newie wrote:Thank you for so beautifully illustrating in your reply the point I was trying to make.
Someone acknowledges that they're finding something difficult.
One possible response: "Yeah, it is a bit tough at the moment, hang in there, you'll be through the worst of it soon".
The gorilla monsoon response "suck it up sunshine".
It is precisely that kind of attitude I was referring to.

Of course there are people doing it tougher. The fact I chose to drag up a thread called "the sooking thread", that had been dead for 2 years, was making it quite clear that I did not consider this a major problem.

I sure hope Mrs Monsoon gets a more sympathetic ear when she chooses to mention anything she is finding difficult. I actually find it rather astounding that someone would come into the women's sub-forum specifically to have a go at women. It sure is no surprise there are hardly any women left on this forum when attitudes like this are displayed.
Hear hear!

Your experience is relative - you can have the worst day of your life, and despite people having a worse time than you, it is still the worst *you* have felt.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Don't be so damn precious kiddies life just isn't that bad. As for Mrs Monsoon, she and I have been together for 40-plus years in an extremely happy and sharing relationship so it should come as no surprise that she's no sook either.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26 am

I'm sick of public transport and the inhabitants of it after only a couple of days. Longingly looking out of the window at the cyclists in the rain thinking they have the best of the deal. Only a couple more days and I should be good to get back on the bike, will only have been about a week but withdrawals are strong

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:55 pm

Can I have a whinge too?

i'm a bit over my shoulder. Physio has instructed me to work on range of motion for the next few weeks. It's unpleasant and sometimes makes me feel nauseous with the type, rather than the level, of pain. Is this a sooky enough complaint? No? OK...I'm not happy that I was off the bike for 6 months after my spill; have ridden 217km this since the weekend before Christmas; have permanent range of motion loss in my shoulder; have another 15 months of rehab to go before they can determine what movement I do have left; currently can't paddle; might not be able to swim properly again; might not be able to ride my TT bike ever again...there...that just about does it.

It's all about perspective really. I got out for a walk yesterday just before the rain hit. Took my dog down to the river and had a lovely walk and sat on a riverside bench watching the birds for a bit. Despite some "sub optimal" happenings in my life, I always manage to appreciate the simple things in life. It's not a case of sucking it up, rather working through it. I read a tea towel once that said "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain".

Don't forget to dance people :)

newie

Postby newie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:39 pm

I feel some of your pain moosterbounce. When I broke my finger last year, the physio was by far the worst part. It wasn't the feeling of pain so much, but something about it made me break out in a cold sweat and get the urge to heave. I was really surprised by it. I just had one finger which doesn't effect my life very much. So a shoulder - ouch!
Really sucks for you to be off the bike so long. I hope it improves for you, but don't give up on the physio like I did. 12 months later my finger is still painful and doesn't move properly. Only have myself to blame, as I should have stuck with the exercises.

There was definitely something wrong with me recently making me cold all the time, it progressed into chills, full body stiffness and fatigue, with headaches and nausea. But whatever it was seems to have passed. And spring is coming!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:25 pm

This is a bit of thread dredge. How is the recovery going, moosterbounce?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:16 am

trailgumby wrote:This is a bit of thread dredge. How is the recovery going, moosterbounce?
It's getting there. I had a breakthrough just before Christmas - all my physio exercises had now hit at least the 2kg mark!! OK, not including the one I was given to "play around with" that I can't even do with just my arm, let alone with a weight!! 5kg arm curls now and 7.5kg for a standing row. Also just hit 5kg on the dumbbell bench press.

I'm at about 130 degrees lift to front and side active (by myself) and 140 passive. Short tight tricep seems to be limiting some of this so you can imaging the fun physio sessions I'm having at the moment!! Still don't know if my hardware is limiting movement and if I should look into getting it removed. Surgeon said they only remove about 20% but if it is causing grief, then I should look into it. I actually don't notice it. I can sleep on that side but not for extended periods but that's more a muscle thing. After a tough gym session, I get some weird jabby pains, but again, pretty sure that's muscle.

I'm riding a little - it's very difficult to come back from 0 especially with the coating of fat I seem to have picked up. Some days I hurt for various reasons - slept funny, had physio, etc and it's difficult to get out there when you know it's going to hurt more. Luckily most household activities aren't having a long term effect in that I seem to be able to do most things and not be sore the next day. Now. My longest ride has been 50km which did take a few days to get over, and my longest paddle is 5km (last week). My rides are slow and it's been some time since my paddle was at that speed, but I'm concentrating on stretch and stamina in the developing muscles rather than anything to do with speed at this stage.

You won't often catch me in the sooking thread though. No point doing that. There are plenty of folk who are suffering worse and don't have what I have. Unfortunately it tends to take a "big nasty" for people to appreciate how lucky they are. We've read about some pretty life altering injuries at BNA over the years and I'm sure everyone has or knows someone who has suffered either from injury or illness so we should all be grateful for what we have. Who cares if you are vegan, eat the wrong type of bread, or are turning into a chimp through banana consumption...if you are happy doing it then keep at it. A life altering event may be around the corner for you or a loved one so make the most of today. (sorry if that sounded soap-boxy

I've always been a ½ full kinda girl and still am. I'm pretty stubborn too which helps :wink:

Happy New Year to all - I'm off to bed. With a bit of luck I can get out in the morning for a New Year ride. It's forecast to be very windy but at least the weight I've gained will stop me from being blown about. Glad half full!!

Thanks for asking TG :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:46 am

Very pleased to hear that. :D An interesting comment from one of my therapists was that she noticed that cyclists usually have markedly better outcomes than the general population because they're committed and persistent with the effort required for their rehabilitation. Good to see you fit that mould. :D

I've had a few injuries - shoulder dislocation that required surgery and ongoing rehab, busted collarbone, titanium bits in my hand to hold it together after a deliberate takedown by MM, sacro-illiac joint issues from simply missing my step in the street. Some of those require discipline and commitment of time to ongoing maintenance with exercises to ensure quality of life is maintained.

Some might think that is a pain and nuisance. But it has had a significant upside.

It has refocussed my attention and provided a strong motivation to get back on track to building a life away from my career and to build financial independence. There have been some setbacks. But it's not about how many times you get knocked down. It's how many times you get back up again. And I've just kicked a couple of goals so the game is starting well, although there's still a way to go.

Enjoy the New Year's ride What a great way to start a new year. :D