Any women riding mens EMC bikes?

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Any women riding mens EMC bikes?

Postby tessholm1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Just wondering if any women out there are riding mens EMC bikes and what they think of them?

My husband has recently got an EMC2 bike and loves it and Ive also heard good things about them, so Im keen to give them a try. Im looking for a full carbon with 105, and unfortunately EMC dont make a WS with these specs. Im 5"7' and have a fairly long torso (I guess, Ive never really thought about it!), so am thinking of getting the men's EQUIP R1.6 with womens saddle. Any other women riding this or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
tessholm1

by BNA » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:34 pm

BNA

Re: Any women riding mens EMC bikes?

Postby Missy24 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Find the bike you like and get it in the frame size that works for you, change the seat IF you need it, you may be fine without it and then consider short reach levers and stuff like that

Whats wrong with the Etape R2.2 or you could look at the Scott Contessa's - Trek does a range for women as well - Cervelo understands that its got nothing to do with how male or female you are, their frames are designed to fit.

I was riding a Cannondale Six with a WSD seat - nothing feminine about it apart from the rider and I'm sure at times thats been disputed :mrgreen:
Missy24

Postby miyata84 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 pm

I recently bought a Wilier full carbon frame for $1299 from torpedo 7. Check it out...I think they have 50 and 54cm frames left. Very happy with it. I am 165cm tall.
miyata84

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Where abouts are you based?

I ride a Scott CR1 - it is the men's version and I'm not sure there was a Contessa around when I bought it. Fits fine and I've not bothered about a women's specific saddle as I've gone the Selle SMP. I'm 169cm which is about the same height and ride a small I believe (about 51cm)

There is nothing to say that a "men's" design won't fit you. Give it a try!! And as Missy said, try a few others too in the WSD and not.
moosterbounce

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:23 pm

The difference between a mens frame and a womans frame is the top tube length. Men have longer torso's and arms than woman of the same height and as a result fit a frame that is longer than a womans

What you could do is put your measurements into bike fit calculator and see if your will fit properly on it.

Then you need to make it fit your female body;
- Wider seat
- Narrower handlebars
- Shorter reach brakes
- Shorter stem
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Missy24 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:38 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The difference between a mens frame and a womans frame is the top tube length. Men have longer torso's and arms than woman of the same height and as a result fit a frame that is longer than a womans

What you could do is put your measurements into bike fit calculator and see if your will fit properly on it.

Then you need to make it fit your female body;
- Wider seat
- Narrower handlebars
- Shorter reach brakes
- Shorter stem

Actually the biggest difference between mens and womens frames is marketing hype, along with lower grade spec for the womens bikes.

Many women have long torso's as well and rather long arms, just as many men have short torso's and short arms, those women who are significantly short 'may' find it easier to get a WSD frame, but look at Emma Pooley, tiny women and rides a cervelo, not a WSD bike.

At the OP's height she shouldn't have a problem with getting a bike the right size
Missy24

Return to Women's Cycling