Newbie needing some advice

x8pg2qr

Re: Newbie needing some advice

Postby x8pg2qr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:48 am

Bob Moore (Leichhardt BUG) takes this route from Tempe to Tarens Point Bridge. The return route is slightly different only.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/286386

Although he does it on the weekends I think, and is an experienced rider.

In your favour, that area is strangely not hilly.

Smurfet47

Postby Smurfet47 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:07 am

Scrap that, just found a confidence course on the city of sydney website.

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:14 am

Smurfet47 wrote:Does anyone know of any good groups to start with on weekends to get some confidence up in my area? Thanks again for your advice.
Sorry I was hard on you at first I thougth you were just kidding. Try this http://www.pushon.com.au/?page_id=10
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:25 am

wombatK wrote:
Apple wrote: I will get CT to take a photo on the next ride for you.
But CT's been ignoring your pleas to go for a ride. You'd better get the photo before we go for that chocolate ride - won't be a size 10 after that :D

Cheers
No she rang me directly. When I ride with you I will be size 8 after the chocolate size 10 :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Smurfet47

Postby Smurfet47 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks Apples, will definately be trying to line up some rides with them in the new year. And x8pg2qr thats perfect!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:52 pm

I try to avoid 3 lane roads and roads with no shoulders except at really low traffic times (i.e. early am, weekends), so Taren Point Rd would get crossed off my list.

This route from http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ca ... -to-Sydney might give you some good ideas. It's not using the Bay-to-Bay cycleway along the beach between Dolls Pt and Kyeemagh, but the roads it chooses are pretty tame. A tamer option would be to ride up to Clareville Ave, north to Sanoni Ave, east towards the bay, and pick-up the shared pathway just west of the Sailing Club. Then head north to Kyeemagh, and decide whether you want to take a short-cut up Bestic St (it's usually tame enough).

The bay-to-bay pathway south of the Sailing Club is very narrow - and usually get walkers with dogs etc.,. bringing you to a stop.

To get your confidence up and bike sorted, try doing some runs out to Kurnell, using the cycleway from Taren Point to Kurnell. If you stop at the coffee shop at Kurnell (in a.m.) there's sure to be a ton of riders who you could ask about group ride etc.,. Also try the run to your work on a weekend or evening so you can get an idea of what it will take.

Last suggestion: get a good mirror - like the mirrcycle. It's a lot easier making lane-changes and turns if you can watch for breaks in a rear vision mirror. Can't recall if Frasers Cycles (on Taren Point Rd) stock them, but Clarence St Cyclery and a number of others do.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

adriana23

Postby adriana23 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Hello! :)

I think we should be extremely happy that more people like smurfet47 are interested in leaving the car at home and ride to work.
It is an excellent way to save money and keep fit at the same time.

In my modest opinion, you should try to start in a "step by step" approach without killing yourself on the 1st day of ride to work. If you
don't know the streets my recommendation is that you start riding on the week end, just for fun, then move onto riding early morning
preferably not alone...it makes life easier and happier if you have a reliable person riding next to you. Ãfter 3-4 weeks, but they could be
even 6-7 weeks, when your confidence has built up you will be ready to ride to work.... my advice is follow some guides available on the web...
I have heard there is a new woman-only club in SYD...if I find out I will let you know the name

All the best and safe ride!

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Looks like you are pretty sorted, but I would second the advice about keeping your MTB for a while.
A drop-bar bike might be more efficient, but you have way less ability to look about you for obstacles and moving threats.
The MTB gives you better steering leverage to take evasive action and hop onto a footpath if need be to escape danger or to get through a tight spot where there is no safe shoulder etc.
If you put narrow street tyres/slicks on the MTB, it will be nice and quick, but still have good grip for crappy road conditions. Smooth bitumen can get slippery on light rain, for example.
You have officially become your parents.