650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Apple » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 am

Nice Feral, Nice :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

by BNA » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 am

BNA
 

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 am

Apple wrote:Nice Feral, Nice :D


Must be something wrong with me, I think nice bike stuff is sooooooooooo sexy, YUM! :twisted: :lol:
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Bloody hell!!!!!

After waiting WEEKS, no MONTHS for the Baum to come back from Baum, that finally happens, well nearly, and today I ring my LBS to be told they can't re-build the bike for a MONTH!! If this wasn't a Family Friendly Forum I'd be using a lot of other 'Fs'

Seriously a month is ridiculous and I'm SERIOUSLY p****** off which is probably and actually seriously bad news for my LBS. :cry: :evil:
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby bianchi928 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:17 pm

A MONTH :shock:

No way ...........
Stand on my dog I cut off your head
bianchi928
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:17 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Apple » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Get your money back
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Apple wrote:Get your money back


well this is turning out to be a SAGA!!! i sorted things with my LBS, men-mars, women-venus thing really, :roll: :roll:

but the bike (or really just the frame) arrived back from Baum today finally, when i unpacked it, the case was not the one i ordered, there was stuff missing from my other, spanners, grease etc, worse....NO cable splitters which are key the success of the whole thing and EVEN WORSE ........NO FORKS.

a polite but fairly excoriating email has been sent suggesting that it might be in their best interests to contact me FIRST thing in the morning. i can only say, that i would not want to receive an email from an angry feral grasshopper! :evil: :twisted:
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby giwi2 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Awesome colour colour scheme. Green is my fav colour and you rarely see it on bikes at the moment (still lots of red,blackand white). I was thinking of a very similar scheme for the Parlee i am going to reward myself with in the new year ; )
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Image
giwi2
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Perth - S.O.R

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:45 am

Spend an enjoyable Sunday evening cutting, fitting and labeling protective tubes for the Baum frame and studying how to take it apart and out it together again, project completion getting closer, fingers crossed there's no other wild cards! :roll: :D
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Eleri » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:24 pm

I got to see both the wheels and the bike today! Looking damn good and slightly green with envy. And I got to see Feral Grasshopper in the flesh.

We both turned up on the same Audax ride and fortunately FG had worked out who I was. Nice to meet you and I forgot to ask at the end how the bike went on it's first outing. How was it?
Image
Eleri
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Inner West, Sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Eleri wrote:I got to see both the wheels and the bike today! Looking damn good and slightly green with envy. And I got to see Feral Grasshopper in the flesh.

We both turned up on the same Audax ride and fortunately FG had worked out who I was. Nice to meet you and I forgot to ask at the end how the bike went on it's first outing. How was it?


i can't claim any special cleverness, when i saw the name Eleri on Bec's list, it wasn't exactly difficult to put 2 and 2 together. nice to come across another shorty, though younger, fitter and slimmer! :mrgreen:

interesting set of impressions with the bike, it climbs well, very easy to get going especially on a slope, easier with the 650c wheels i mean in contrast to 700s. the wheels are most definitely an improvement over the Mavics. top speed is quite a bit less than the Amira. i found i was having to work hard to get into the mid fifties and my top speed was 59.6 when i would expect to achieve at least another 10kph on the Amira. its a bit soon to tell because it is a different bike and i haven't ridden it for a while and certainly not on a 150 but i'm thinking the bike fit is not as good as the Amira. i've got lots of aches and pains including slightly sore knees and lumbar region which i don't usually get. the geometry is quite different and i feel a bit too stretched out. it can probably be tweaked but i'll ride it a bit more first.

i would say that its best use, other than to travel with of course, is for steep long climbs and technical descents subject to making it bit more comfortable, where the lower gearing is of most use and where to low top speed does not matter.

still perhaps a work in progress, it is very pretty!
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby giwi2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 am

time to post the pick of you and your new bike................
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Image
giwi2
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Perth - S.O.R

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Apple » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:00 am

feral grasshopper wrote:Image
with couplers by d'Avigdor, on Flickr

Soooooooo your bike is green
Boy do I have the right cycling lycra for you :mrgreen:
It will arrive next week.
Image
Image
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:18 am

Apple wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:Image
with couplers by d'Avigdor, on Flickr

Soooooooo your bike is green
Boy do I have the right cycling lycra for you :mrgreen:
It will arrive next week.
Image
Image


Apple! How could U?!?!? The greens don't match :roll: I'm a girl, the greens have GOT to match :lol:
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:20 am

giwi2 wrote:time to post the pick of you and your new bike................


The bike maybe but in the interests of the common sensibilities, I should forever remain a mystery 8)
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Eleri » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:06 am

feral grasshopper wrote:interesting set of impressions with the bike, it climbs well, very easy to get going especially on a slope, easier with the 650c wheels i mean in contrast to 700s. the wheels are most definitely an improvement over the Mavics. top speed is quite a bit less than the Amira. i found i was having to work hard to get into the mid fifties and my top speed was 59.6 when i would expect to achieve at least another 10kph on the Amira. its a bit soon to tell because it is a different bike and i haven't ridden it for a while and certainly not on a 150 but i'm thinking the bike fit is not as good as the Amira. i've got lots of aches and pains including slightly sore knees and lumbar region which i don't usually get. the geometry is quite different and i feel a bit too stretched out. it can probably be tweaked but i'll ride it a bit more first.

i would say that its best use, other than to travel with of course, is for steep long climbs and technical descents subject to making it bit more comfortable, where the lower gearing is of most use and where to low top speed does not matter.

still perhaps a work in progress, it is very pretty!


It is very pretty! Nice choice of green.

You've nailed the "problem" with 650c wheels - it drops all your gearing. The really good thing is going up hills, the annoying bit is top speed. I've managed to deal with the top speed issue by concentrating on spinning and getting a cadence of 130rpm or so. I'm also going to move from a 12-27 cluster to an 11-28 so that I pick up a little bit more at both ends.

Feeling stretched out is horrible, but like you say it might just be that you haven't ridden it for a while and it's about getting used to it again.
Image
Eleri
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Inner West, Sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Eleri wrote:[quote="][/quote]

It is very pretty! Nice choice of green.

You've nailed the "problem" with 650c wheels - it drops all your gearing. The really good thing is going up hills, the annoying bit is top speed. I've managed to deal with the top speed issue by concentrating on spinning and getting a cadence of 130rpm or so. I'm also going to move from a 12-27 cluster to an 11-28 so that I pick up a little bit more at both ends.

Feeling stretched out is horrible, but like you say it might just be that you haven't ridden it for a while and it's about getting used to it again.[/quote][/quote]


I've got an 11/32 so no gains to be made there but that is really interesting what you say about the spinning and that cadence of 132 is a serious cadence! I've been thinking of trying to up mine, people say I've a fast cadence but I only average in the early 80s so I reckon I could do a lot better. How have you managed to raise your cadence? Any tips?
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Eleri » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: cadence. I don't spin at that all the time or average anywhere near that! But when I want to push on a downhill I can. I had a knee wonkiness problem, initiated by a knee reconstruction and then tightness from a weak hamstring. Anyway, got that sorted but had to re-learn my pedalling technique so I just spend every Saturday morning going round Centennial Park in circles practising spinning at about 100 or above. Also been riding on the track so that helps and if I ever get around to it - I'll practise on my rollers but ...

To go really fast you sort of have to relax your legs if that makes sense.
Image
Eleri
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Inner West, Sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Eleri wrote:Re: cadence. I don't spin at that all the time or average anywhere near that! But when I want to push on a downhill I can. I had a knee wonkiness problem, initiated by a knee reconstruction and then tightness from a weak hamstring. Anyway, got that sorted but had to re-learn my pedalling technique so I just spend every Saturday morning going round Centennial Park in circles practising spinning at about 100 or above. Also been riding on the track so that helps and if I ever get around to it - I'll practise on my rollers but ...

To go really fast you sort of have to relax your legs if that makes sense.


yup, makes total sense, i'm about to head out on a short (v short!) recovery ride, i'll practice! :wink:
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Apple » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Sorry girls I can't help reading your post, are you saying that you are losing speed on the flats while riding in a group
I have to say that that was the best part for me on the 650s, I always rode on the big ring on the flats and often stayed at the front, cadence at a 85 -100, big ring was 53 not a compact.
I found drafting was fantastic as you are lower to the ground.
BTW, I would love to see a picture of your wheels, as I find my new Velocity very heavy, they are not the same ones that Steve built me (he built me racing wheels which were amazing) my bike leg had the best times in triathlons for my age group.
As you know I now ride 700c wheels, I would have to be honest and say the 650c are more comfortable and easier to handle then the 700c wheels
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Apple wrote:Sorry girls I can't help reading your post, are you saying that you are losing speed on the flats while riding in a group
I have to say that that was the best part for me on the 650s, I always rode on the big ring on the flats and often stayed at the front, cadence at a 85 -100, big ring was 53 not a compact.
I found drafting was fantastic as you are lower to the ground.
BTW, I would love to see a picture of your wheels, as I find my new Velocity very heavy, they are not the same ones that Steve built me (he built me racing wheels which were amazing) my bike leg had the best times in triathlons for my age group.
As you know I now ride 700c wheels, I would have to be honest and say the 650c are more comfortable and easier to handle then the 700c wheels


Don't apologise for reading the post Apple, that's what u r meant to do on a forum, LOL! And we're not talking about bunch riding, I don't get much opportunity to do that, too few women riders in the BMs! So just impressions of solo riding.

I just went out for a short recovery ride on a route I do very regularly. I was with a good fast rider which always pushes up my speed a bit and even taking into account post 150 tiredness, there is no doubt in my mind that the Baum (650) is slower than the Amira (700), about 2kph I would say. So yer pays yer money and you takes your choice. But if you had a 53 big ring then you wouldn't have the top speed problems anyway which are generated by having a compact so quite a different equation. I'd love to try that combo but I'd never handle the hill climbing then, hot damn, need a bike for the flat! What is it they say, N + 1. :lol:

Here's a link to the wheels: (they are beautifully light and have great acceleration is my impression, good value for money)

http://www.rolfprima.com/products-Dauphine.php
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Eleri » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 pm

I don't have any problems keeping up with the bunch, unless I'm riding in a bunch that is too fast all round. The main issue is running out of gears before you run out of legs. On the scale of things to be annoyed about, it's not up there very high.
Image
Eleri
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Inner West, Sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Eleri wrote:I don't have any problems keeping up with the bunch, unless I'm riding in a bunch that is too fast all round. The main issue is running out of gears before you run out of legs. On the scale of things to be annoyed about, it's not up there very high.


+ 1 to that!
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Apple » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:25 pm

So do you both have a compact on the 650 wheels?
If so that would explain this
Baum (650) is slower than the Amira (700), about 2kph I would say.

I think you underestimate yourself regarding the hills. I found hill climbing no different with the gearing on the 650c compared to the 700c with a compact, I have lost top speed on the 700c due to the 50 big ring on the compact, I loved the 53, but I found it harder on the hill because of the 700c wheels so I changed to a compact on the Pinarello, and the Teschner has normal 53 big chain ring so that I don’t feel like I am spinning like a mad woman and not going anywhere. I hope I am not confusing.
Here's a link to the wheels: (they are beautifully light and have great acceleration is my impression, good value for money)

http://www.rolfprima.com/products-Dauphine.php

Those wheels are beautiful, I wish I bought those, can you pm me and tell me what they cost, even though I just got those stupid velocity wheels. Mind you the bike is on the trainer because I hate the wheels so much, I still don’t use it, even on the trainer :oops:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Apple wrote:So do you both have a compact on the 650 wheels?
If so that would explain this
Baum (650) is slower than the Amira (700), about 2kph I would say.

I think you underestimate yourself regarding the hills. I found hill climbing no different with the gearing on the 650c compared to the 700c with a compact, I have lost top speed on the 700c due to the 50 big ring on the compact, I loved the 53, but I found it harder on the hill because of the 700c wheels so I changed to a compact on the Pinarello, and the Teschner has normal 53 big chain ring so that I don’t feel like I am spinning like a mad woman and not going anywhere. I hope I am not confusing.
Here's a link to the wheels: (they are beautifully light and have great acceleration is my impression, good value for money)

http://www.rolfprima.com/products-Dauphine.php

Those wheels are beautiful, I wish I bought those, can you pm me and tell me what they cost, even though I just got those stupid velocity wheels. Mind you the bike is on the trainer because I hate the wheels so much, I still don’t use it, even on the trainer :oops:


yes compact on both bikes also 11/32 cassettes on both bikes. living in Katoomba and doing hilly Audax in Sydney it is most comfortable, i don't believe in suffering unnecessarily, :twisted:

and just to clarify, its only total speed on rides which is slower with the Baum, when i looked at the climbs on Saturday's 150 on Strava, i'd actually done them faster than ever before, not all that much but undoubtedly faster! just slower on the downhills. as Eleri said, if i try upping the cadence, that'll probably do the trick. it's always a learning curve!

i'll PM you on the wheel cost
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby Apple » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 am

feral grasshopper wrote:[
i'll PM you on the wheel cost

Thanks for that,
I am also now following you on Strava 8)
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Cycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter