Roadie upgrade advice

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Roadie upgrade advice

Postby a_liss_a » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Hiya,

I'm currently riding an old roadie with a Sora gearset. It's pretty creaky, the chain falls off frequently, it's damn heavy, and let's face it - I have upgraditis.

I'm ideally looking for a minimum of 105 componentry, and as much carbon as I can get for <$2000.

Keeping in mind I'm 5'3" and anywhere from 52-60kg depending on training loads, I'd love some advice:

[*] What's the benefit of buying a brand-name frame (Giant, Avanti, Specialized, Cannondale etc) over something like a Fuji ?
[*] Is it really better to buy a women's specific frame ?
[*] Shimano or SRAM? What's the equiv SRAM to Shimano 105 ?

Also, any recommendations for a good bike store in Melbourne, where I'm not going to be given the sales pitch based purely on what they have in stock?

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered!
a_liss_a

by BNA » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm

BNA

Re: Roadie upgrade advice

Postby hannos » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm

If the chain falls off, I'd assume something is not adjusted properly.

But upgraditis is a nasty nasty disease! :mrgreen:

Here's one person's views on WSD bikes:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/Road-Cycling ... rticle_pi1 [singleID]=884
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby MikeyD360 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm looking at getting a Fuji myself when I get back from the states.
Had a look at one of the SST series (Super Stiff Team) in the LBS today and amazing design and quality of frame, exceptionally lightweight and stiff, and best of all - reasonably priced.

In terms of how it stacks up against the established names, It may be best to leave that to Team Servetto Fuji who took stage honours in the 3rd stage of 2010 TDU, proving that it is a capable bike in the right hands.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid
MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Also I am pretty sure the SRAM "Rival" is about par with the Shimano 105, in terms of product range, unsure on performance. (SRAM Red>Force>Rival>Apex, Shimano Dura-ace>Ultegra>105>Tiagra)
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid
MikeyD360

Roadie upgrade advice

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 pm

MikeyD360 wrote:Also I am pretty sure the SRAM "Rival" is about par with the Shimano 105, in terms of product range, unsure on performance. (SRAM Red>Force>Rival>Apex, Shimano Dura-ace>Ultegra>105>Tiagra)

Performance wise I personally think it sits between 105 and Ultegra. I quite like my Rival :)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:19 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Performance wise I personally think it sits between 105 and Ultegra. I quite like my Rival :)

+1, I really like my Sram Rival, not sure that I'd go back to Shimano gear willingly!

For your height a WSD might turn out to be a better fit...I'd look at as many bikes as possible in your budget, give the ones that you like a test ride.

With Specialized their WSD bikes are pretty much the same price as the 'bloke' bikes, at Avanti, their WSD bikes were significantly more expensive for the same specs on the 'bloke' bike....I rode both and couldn't discern a huge difference between them...not enough to part with almost $1500.00 extra for the WSD equivilant.

Good luck with your search, dont forget to enjoy the process!
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Parker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:51 am

WSD might be better for your height
Parker

Postby miyata84 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 am

The last 2 road bikes I have bought were purchased as frames only. One was traditional frame and the other semi compact. Search online for a frame in your size etc, try wiggle ribbles CRC and competitive cyclist. Then you have the option of choosing the exact group set, stem, handlebars and seat you want. I prefer Campagnolo but refuse to pay the exorbitant prices for a Bianchi or Pinarello from a LBS.I managed to get a carbon Wilier frame from T7 last year on special at $899 then a record 11 speed group set from Ribbles for $1600. The main thing to do is your research on frame sizes. Be guided by top tube and seat post.Hope this helps you.
miyata84

Return to Women's Cycling